Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How come Delta Amex Reserve does not have a SkyClub membership?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How come Delta Amex Reserve does not have a SkyClub membership?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is why I don't see any real value in this card over the Amex plat card. I have the Amex plat for better lounge access, and then the Delta plat card for MQM's. The only thing I am missing out on is the F class companion fare, though the amex card also has that program, though I've never found a lot of value in it.
The FC companion certificate on the Reserve card is very different from the IAP offered on the unbranded Plat card.

The Reserve cert is for domestic US flights only and allows/requires you to buy discounted FC fares, so it's actually quite valuable IMO.

The unbranded Plat IAP program is for international flights only and usually requires the purchase of a refundable, full-fare ticket, which can often cost more than twice whatever the non-refundable discount fare is. If you ordinarily have a need to purchase those types of tickets, there's great value there, but if you ordinarily seek out the cheapest nonrefundable fares, then not so much. I've priced flights out with IAP three or four different times and never found it worthwhile.

Originally Posted by injera
Providing lounge access would cannibalize the Amex Platnium card. The only reason I keep my amex platnium is for lounge access. Picked up the Chase Sapphire Reserve as well and would quickly cancel the amex if lounge access ever went away or i stopped flying Delta
The DL Reserve card DOES provide DL lounge access. Actually the same as the unbranded Platinum - you must be flying DL that day.

The add-on in terms of lounge access for the unbranded Plat is that you get Priority Pass, as well (and Centurion/Airspace in those locations).

Originally Posted by LBJ
It is the DL Amex Gold/Plat cards that only require you have a ticket on any airline for the $29 discounted access.
I believe the DL Reserve also allows you to pay $29 for SkyClub access if you happen to be flying another airline.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
You can't. The above statement was incorrect.
You, my friend, are wrong. I hold both a personal and business Delta Amex. I start Jan 1st off with both as Platinum. I dedicate all spend to one, reach the 25k and 50k spending thresholds to earn 10k MQMs at each level. I call and upgrade that card to reserve (and sometimes there's an additional 5k MQM upgrade offer). I then spend and additional 30k and 60k on that card. Those reserve thresholds net me 15k MQMs at each level. Once I have the MQMs, I call in to downgrade it back to platinum.

I repeat this process on the other card. Which, assuming that I reach every spending threshold, will net 100k MQMs plus any additional from upgrading. This year when I upgraded the first to reserve, I got the 5k MQM bonus. So, I am on track to earn 110k MQMs solely through Amex.

And, FWIW, if you can time the cards right for which particular product you have when your annual fee is assessed, you can get a reserve companion certificate and then downgrade to platinum since you are awarded the certificate on your anniversary for the card that you held at that time.

:-)
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
You must have been flying Delta. The OP's point was that the Amex Reserve SC access only applies if you are flying Delta, whereas some comparable cards can be used no matter which airline you are flying.
What cards are those? For access with a regular AmEx Plat or Centurion charge card, you also must be flying DL that day.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yolandearagon
The reason I'm not planning to renew my Amex Delta Reserve card in November is threefold -- I get so much more from the Chase Sapphire Reserve in bonuses (including PP); I only fly internationally and SC/partner access is nonexistent in Europe since I am no longer Platinum; and I only fly from Boston, where the Skyclub is as minimalist as can be imagined.
Even if you're now GM rather than PM, you get access to DL and partner operated international lounges when flying DL international.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
, you can earn 100k MQMs without stepping foot on an airplane. That's worth something.
Actually, MQM's & status are worth exactly nothing if you never step foot on a plane, with the exception of some very small fringe benefits with partner loyalty programs for hotels and car rentals.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
You, my friend, are wrong. I hold both a personal and business Delta Amex. I start Jan 1st off with both as Platinum. I dedicate all spend to one, reach the 25k and 50k spending thresholds to earn 10k MQMs at each level. I call and upgrade that card to reserve (and sometimes there's an additional 5k MQM upgrade offer). I then spend and additional 30k and 60k on that card. Those reserve thresholds net me 15k MQMs at each level. Once I have the MQMs, I call in to downgrade it back to platinum.

I repeat this process on the other card. Which, assuming that I reach every spending threshold, will net 100k MQMs plus any additional from upgrading. This year when I upgraded the first to reserve, I got the 5k MQM bonus. So, I am on track to earn 110k MQMs solely through Amex.

And, FWIW, if you can time the cards right for which particular product you have when your annual fee is assessed, you can get a reserve companion certificate and then downgrade to platinum since you are awarded the certificate on your anniversary for the card that you held at that time.

:-)
I'm going to trust this, as the previous advice I got from iflyalexair regarding DL Amex upgrade cycles and companions certs were spot on for me. I believe he/she does this upgrade/downgrade cycle every year, as well.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What cards are those? For access with a regular AmEx Plat or Centurion charge card, you also must be flying DL that day.
I think that was referring to cards for other airlines. The Chase UA Club card provides a full UC Membership, and Citi AA Executive card provides full AC Membership, IIRC. In that sense, DL and Amex are actually behind with the CC game.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Actually, MQM's & status are worth exactly nothing if you never step foot on a plane, with the exception of some very small fringe benefits with partner loyalty programs for hotels and car rentals.
This is true. I average only about 30 segments a year. Having all the fringe benefits of DM (choice benefits, near 100% upgrade percentage, free award changes, etc.) are great and not having to worry about getting 125k mqms is even better.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm going to trust this, as the previous advice I got from iflyalexair regarding DL Amex upgrade cycles and companions certs were spot on for me. I believe he/she does this upgrade/downgrade cycle every year, as well..
Glad it's working out for you!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad it's working out for you!
It is - thanks! Though...I just have my one card with Mrs. Lee as an AU. The MQMs are nice but honestly the companion certs are the real win for me.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta PM
Those sure are some interesting lines you are taking with the DL Amex's. Food for thought. I hold both a DL Plat & DL Reserve. I'm not even in a position to max out MQMS on both, but with luck I'll do 85k in spend which will net me 40k MQM's between the two. Sounds like I could cutback to just one card and do the upgrade/downgrade thing, possibly saving me $ in annual fees. That being said, we also find tremendous value in the companion certs. I much prefer the reserve cert for the J opportunities and the reserve does provide this lowly PM with skyclub access. Cool thread though!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm going to trust this, as the previous advice I got from iflyalexair regarding DL Amex upgrade cycles and companions certs were spot on for me. I believe he/she does this upgrade/downgrade cycle every year, as well.

I think that was referring to cards for other airlines. The Chase UA Club card provides a full UC Membership, and Citi AA Executive card provides full AC Membership, IIRC. In that sense, DL and Amex are actually behind with the CC game.
The issue everyone had was that it wasn't stated that you needed to have multiple personal and business cards to get those MQMS. The OP seemed to indicate you could get it from having just one card. You need the personal and business version of two cards to get the MQM posted.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
SkyClub Access

Originally Posted by scongro
^Agreed. Remember, the DL Reserve has an annual fee is $450, which is about the same as a SkyClub Membership. However, you get a lot of other perks with the card that are Delta specific:

- Annual Companion Cert (Effectively a BOGO Coupon)
- MQM Bonuses
- Higher Priority on the Upgrade List (tiebreaker)
- Free Bag
- Zone 1 Boarding
- AMEX Concierge

With the exception of the AMEX Concierge, all of the benefits are Delta specific, and if you can commit 80% of your travel to Delta, to me it's a no-brainer; the Companion Cert is a good benefit enough. I know people have complained about usage, but I've not had a problem in all of the years I've had the card.

To me...it's the ultimate card IF you can commit to Delta. If you can't commit, then it's not nearly as good of a value.
I have had the Delta Reserve card for several years but for most of those years I was platinum. I get almost none of the benefits because I only fly abroad (from one US airport -- and now can't get into the Skyteam lounges in Europe); I only have carry on luggage; I always travel alone; international upgrades are near impossible; and I never use the concierge. For me the extra MQMs are worth little since I'm not going to spend on the MQDs with so few benefits (for me). I'll be closing or changing my Amex Reserve on my anniversary in November since Skymiles are no longer of any value to me

Anyway to my question. Since I now have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, I charged my trip to Scotland tomorrow (on Delta) to that card rather than the Reserve card. Does anyone know if having charged the flight on CSR will prevent entrance? I have read through the fine print and it looks like if I take my Delta ticket and Delta Reserve card to the Skyclub in Boston, I should be able to get in one last time. Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:59 am

There's no requirement that the DL ticket be charged to the Reserve card for SC access.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's no requirement that the DL ticket be charged to the Reserve card for SC access.
Thanks so much, PEEconomist! I figured with all the downgrades at Delta, I must have missed something in the fine print. I'll let you all know if I experience any problems.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:19 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
Now what would be really nice and make sense in my opinion, is that if you are DM and have the Reserve card, then your individual complimentary skyclub membership is upgraded to exec.
Why when they can get you to pay now. It's all about money and dangling benefits while having to deliver fewer and fewer.

Giving FC upgrades to FO on a award ticket sounds exciting but so does winning the lottery. And the odds are similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.