Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Half off change fee for gold medallion?

Old Sep 24, 16, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Enquired yesterday about changing a flight (to land 6 hours earlier). I'm on a v fare and the routing I'm currently on has only one flight a day (vs 3-4 flights through Atlanta) so sds will not be an option.

Agent was willing to move me to an earlier flight via atl provided I pay the difference in fare ($70) and offered to lower the change fee to $100.

Is this a new policy or did I just get a friendly phone agent??
Old Sep 24, 16, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by injera View Post
Enquired yesterday about changing a flight (to land 6 hours earlier). I'm on a v fare and the routing I'm currently on has only one flight a day (vs 3-4 flights through Atlanta) so sds will not be an option.

Agent was willing to move me to an earlier flight via atl provided I pay the difference in fare ($70) and offered to lower the change fee to $100.

Is this a new policy or did I just get a friendly phone agent??
Sounds like you got a semi friendly agent. The really friendly ones usually offer to waive the entire change fee.

Even if you can't SDS, you can SDC. The routing can be different than what you have booked - you just can't go from a connecting itinerary to a nonstop itinerary is all.
Old Sep 24, 16, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Sounds like you got a semi friendly agent. The really friendly ones usually offer to waive the entire change fee.

Even if you can't SDS, you can SDC. The routing can be different than what you have booked - you just can't go from a connecting itinerary to a nonstop itinerary is all.
I'm on a V fare so SDC would be nearly impossible.
Old Sep 24, 16, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
And you know this how?
Old Sep 24, 16, 6:16 am

That's what I used to think too. A number of routes have V available and just not for sale, so it's really difficult to tell. Plus, their new system updates keeps erroring on SDCs and then they err on the side of the Medallion and process the change. I've been able to SDC more often than not on V fares recently.
Old Sep 24, 16, 6:19 am

Is there a cheap buy up to F? This way you avoid the change fee, get SDC on a last seat available basis, and fly in F. Better than paying half the change fee when it's waived for upgrades (or upgrade to C+ - SDC for that is last seat availability too).

I just called and paid $10 more and got my friend C+ on the same itinerary. No change fee or anything. Agent just had to manually reissue.
Old Sep 24, 16, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Is there a cheap buy up to F? This way you avoid the change fee, get SDC on a last seat available basis, and fly in F. Better than paying half the change fee when it's waived for upgrades (or upgrade to C+ - SDC for that is last seat availability too).

I just called and paid $10 more and got my friend C+ on the same itinerary. No change fee or anything. Agent just had to manually reissue.
+1

If there's an F buy-up available on your existing flight for $170 or not much more, consider buying that instead and then SDC-ing under the relaxed rules.
Old Sep 24, 16, 8:15 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
And you know this how?
IME, on my typical DL routings, it's really rare to get alternates from the lower fare buckets for SDC with DL. Airport agents have become fare bucket entranced and won't override.
Actually had a nitwit in the SkyClub tell me that I couldn't go earlier flight standby on an express itin out of DTW because my fare bucket was too low. A smarter gate agent (with help from another agent and a redcoat) figured out that my SDS was being blocked because the first leg was an international.
I would have thought this type of pinpoint, military precision required before day of flight, contrasted with the type of goat rope that delays, misconnects, and front line provided misinformation day of travel would generate tremendous anti DL sentiment. Apparently not so much....
Old Sep 24, 16, 8:30 am
Original Poster

As of now a buy up to f is $700 so that's not an option. Good point about a v fare coming back as we get closer, guess I'll just wait and see.

Any luck just showing up to the airport six hours early and seeing what they'll do? I'm going to travel carry on only and would have no issue working in the skyclub if I can't get the flight I want.
Old Sep 24, 16, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM
As of now a buy up to f is $700 so that's not an option. Good point about a v fare coming back as we get closer, guess I'll just wait and see.

Any luck just showing up to the airport six hours early and seeing what they'll do? I'm going to travel carry on only and would have no issue working in the skyclub if I can't get the flight I want.
If it was the same routing, I'd say showing up early would give you very high chances of success. Since you'll be changing routing though, 'pat agents will only do it if they can confirm you.

What is a buy up to Comfort+ currently running? As others have mentioned, that will also let you SDC as long as there is a seat open.

Day of though, I think you may be surprised... I am almost always given at least one SDC option, even on X/V fares.
Old Sep 24, 16, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond

Is that what they're quoting you, or are you simply looking to see what they going F fare is? Most times if you call in they'll give you a fairly decent upgrade offer. Sometimes though it's out of the world, and in one or two cases I've seen the "upgrade" offer be more expensive then buying F outright.
Old Sep 26, 16, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Looking back I should have just paid the $170. I've called back two other times and can't even get the $170 offer.

Upgrade to F costs $570 for this leg of the trip.
Upgrading to a higher fare class (I asked about L as an example) was $380 which included a $200 change fee PLUS a $50 change fee for reissuing the ticket to my travel agent (I had used Chase Ultimate Rewards points for this) and even then i could only SDC if there was any L fare tickets available.

Expert flyer shows nothing in V for any flight that day connecting through ATL, DTW or MSP. I try again in a few days, otherwise my best bet might just be to show up at 9 and hope to get an agent willing to bend the rules. Worst case I can just work in the skyclub until my 4:20pm flight.

Good reminder that when you get a reasonable offer, just take it.
Old Sep 26, 16, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's what I used to think too. A number of routes have V available and just not for sale, so it's really difficult to tell. Plus, their new system updates keeps erroring on SDCs and then they err on the side of the Medallion and process the change. I've been able to SDC more often than not on V fares recently.
You can see fare class availability now on EF. Sometimes it's useful to check in advance to see what the patterns are for the route and day of week.
Old Sep 26, 16, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
You can see fare class availability now on EF. Sometimes it's useful to check in advance to see what the patterns are for the route and day of week.
Yup, as of now nothing below U (no T, X or V). Will check again as date gets closer.

Thx
Old Sep 27, 16, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Okay - hopefully someone out there can let me know if this is feasible.

Upgrading to F or changing to a more desirable flight time is cost prohibitive for me. I'm on the only flight connecting in SLC so SDS is not possible.

Using expert flyer I found an option connecting in MSP that seems to have a lot of V fare availability (V7). Assuming this holds, I should be able to SDC onto this option.

That said, the MSP option has even worse timing than the SLC option. If i'm reading this correctly though, once i'm confirmed on a flight connecting in MSP I should then have the ability to SDS onto any flight connecting in MSP, yes? Or would that not be possible because my original ticket was via SLC?

I know SDS is never a guarantee but i'd be willing to risk it.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: