FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Double Diversion Trip Report (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1792582-double-diversion-trip-report.html)

happydad100 Sep 23, 2016 8:38 am

Double Diversion Trip Report

Trip Report (New One For Me)

DL 1074 from SLC to MSP (on 9.21, 5:30 pm departure)

1) Diverted to OMA (bad weather in MSP)
2) Took off to MSP
3) Diverted back to OMA
4) Crew timed out (but not pilots)
5) Deplaned us all in OMA
6) Got checked luggage
7) Pilots "ferried" the plane back to MSP (with timed out crew)
8) Found hotel in OMA (3 am)
9) Delta reservations took an hour to build a new segment in my reservation from OMA to MSP
10) Flew OMA to MSP on 9.22 (arriving 16 hours after we "took off").
11) Got credit for segment from SLC to MSP and OMA to MSP in same reservation

Owe ... and we missed our connecting flight to AMS by about 16 hours :eek:

Happydad :)

Ebes1099 Sep 23, 2016 8:42 am

I was in that mess on Wednesday night as well, flying AUS-MSP scheduled to land in MSP just after 9pm. We got on the outskirts of MSP and pilot said we were circling and it could be for up to 45 minutes, then about 10 minutes later gets on the mic and says we're on the way to OMA.

We landed in OMA and took us awhile to get a gate, but we finally got one and they let people off to stretch out and use the bathroom. I actually heard them call your flight for boarding to leave for MSP about 15 minutes before they reboarded our plane. We ended up making it into MSP about 12:45am, but that last flight from OMA-MSP which was supposed to be about 50 minutes was 1:30, we had to take a non-direct route and still circle a couple times.

BusTrav8yrs Sep 23, 2016 10:10 am

Had a co-worder on MKE-MSP that also was diverted to OMA on Wednesday, but that worked out great for him as he was heading home to Omaha :) He ended up getting home 2 hours earlier than expected.

securesmaskfirst Sep 23, 2016 11:01 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs (Post 27252554)
Had a co-worder on MKE-MSP that also was diverted to OMA on Wednesday, but that worked out great for him as he was heading home to Omaha :) He ended up getting home 2 hours earlier than expected.

Quick ask him to buy a lottery ticket.

hnewman Sep 23, 2016 11:02 am

Wednesday for me was DCA-MSP at 14:59 departure to arrive at 16:30

1 hour 31 minute maintanence delay at DCA
circled
diverted to DMS and for a few hours
Took off and arrived 20 minutes before timeout at 12:05AM

Of course the 17:00 DCA-MSP landed between storms 30 minutes. Bad choice getting on the earlier flight.

javabytes Sep 23, 2016 11:31 am

Well at least you got the miles ;)

kop84 Sep 23, 2016 11:58 am

I live close to the MSP airport and there was quarter sized hail in my yard. It sounded like Santa and ALL of his reindeer were on the roof..not just the usual 11 or 12 for Christmas.

Believe me you did not want to fly in that!

BobH Sep 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Not directly related, but the Tiger at the Twins game on the night of 9/21 was rained out and they played the game the next afternoon to an almost empty stadium and the sounds were very different because there was very little crowd noise.

Bob H

danielonn Sep 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by happydad100 (Post 27252089)
Trip Report (New One For Me)

DL 1074 from SLC to MSP (on 9.21, 5:30 pm departure)

1) Diverted to OMA (bad weather in MSP)
2) Took off to MSP
3) Diverted back to OMA
4) Crew timed out (but not pilots)
5) Deplaned us all in OMA
6) Got checked luggage
7) Pilots "ferried" the plane back to MSP (with timed out crew)
8) Found hotel in OMA (3 am)
9) Delta reservations took an hour to build a new segment in my reservation from OMA to MSP
10) Flew OMA to MSP on 9.22 (arriving 16 hours after we "took off").
11) Got credit for segment from SLC to MSP and OMA to MSP in same reservation

Owe ... and we missed our connecting flight to AMS by about 16 hours :eek:

Happydad :)

Oh wow sounds like you got home very tire. At least you are home in one piece. I hope you can rest up!!!!

Jeff767 Sep 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Flight attendants do not generally time out. Delta however extends similar work rules to the flight attendants that union carriers have. The airline will ask them to extend however they can decline the extension. Generally they offer additional pay if they will extend. You will find that former NW flight attendants who were union often decline the extension.

orr333 Sep 23, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm a little confused. Usually - once a crew member is wheels up, they do not time out - or is that just a pilot rule? Seems the time to fly back to OMA the second time due to timeout was about the same to just continue to MSP. Are you sure the 2nd divert was for timeout?

pvn Sep 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst (Post 27252787)
Quick ask him to buy a lottery ticket.

It's happened to me before, flying SFO-ATL-MEM, had a medical diversion at MEM. If we had diverted elsewhere, I would have had to spend the night in ATL.

FWIW, I got the MQM for SFO-ATL. I didn't think to call in and request original routing credit, not sure what would have happened there.

dzflyer Sep 23, 2016 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs (Post 27252554)

At least they let the guy off sometimes they dont.

KingBraden Sep 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 27253514)
Not directly related, but the Tiger at the Twins game on the night of 9/21 was rained out and they played the game the next afternoon to an almost empty stadium and the sounds were very different because there was very little crowd noise.

Bob H

Sorry for continuing the off topic but I watched the game on TV and saw maybe 500 people there. Then the box score says attendance of 18k. I lol'd at that.

flyerCO Sep 23, 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by orr333 (Post 27253949)
I'm a little confused. Usually - once a crew member is wheels up, they do not time out - or is that just a pilot rule? Seems the time to fly back to OMA the second time due to timeout was about the same to just continue to MSP. Are you sure the 2nd divert was for timeout?

You're reversing steps. They flew back to OMA a second time, and once at OMA they ended up timing out before they could take off.

As for the comment on FAs timing out, yes they do time out just like any other crew. There's FAA limits, and even if not union, there's company limits.