Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only Beer and Wine in the PDX SkyClub. Why?

Old Sep 21, 16, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;

I was in the PDX SkyClub yesterday and only beer and wine were available. Not even Baileys for my coffee. Anyone know why?
Old Sep 21, 16, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by DL-Don View Post
I was in the PDX SkyClub yesterday and only beer and wine were available. Not even Baileys for my coffee. Anyone know why?
Catering to local demand? Hipsters don't drink Baileys
Old Sep 21, 16, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
The PDX Sky Club's license permits Delta to serve malt beverages and wine, but not spirits. Either local regulations prohibit the service of spirits in such a setting, or Delta was unable/unwilling to acquire the broader license required.
Old Sep 21, 16, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG LT Gold
I think there was some discussion of this a while back, centered on--if I remember correctly--some sort of obscure licensing problem.

That said, it's not as if there isn't plenty of the hard stuff, even hipster-approved, elsewhere in PDX: they even have a cart, a few gates away from the SC, with free samples of local, artisanal hooch.

One charming plus of the PDX club, though, is their eager promotion of mimosas: every time I'm there, any time of day, the bartender actively pushes these. It's not often you hear a SC employee pressuring you have a third (or fourth) free mimosa.
Old Sep 21, 16, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

As a station with D1 flights to AMS and NRT, it seems a little cheap for Delta not to pursue a full liquor license.
Old Sep 21, 16, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
AS Boardroom in PDX is beer/wine only as well, must be a broader licensing issue as mentioned.
Old Sep 21, 16, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MS02113 View Post
The PDX Sky Club's license permits Delta to serve malt beverages and wine, but not spirits. Either local regulations prohibit the service of spirits in such a setting, or Delta was unable/unwilling to acquire the broader license required.
Yup, and the issue is not limited to the SC. PDX United Club is also beer/wine only.
Old Sep 21, 16, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Talking

I'm in the PDX SC weekly and this is what the staff said years and years ago. Oregon has always had funny liquor laws and one of them is...if an establishment doesn't serve a full meal and only snacks....it's beer and wine only. You can drive down the road and buy marijuana legally but can't be served hard stuff at the Delta Skyclub. Keep Oregon Weird is a very common bumper sticker.
Go figure
Old Sep 21, 16, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt
All I know is that Pinot Grigio is considered top-shelf there and they charge extra for it.

And people complain about Utah. Geez.
Old Sep 21, 16, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saj8986 View Post
I'm in the PDX SC weekly and this is what the staff said years and years ago. Oregon has always had funny liquor laws and one of them is...if an establishment doesn't serve a full meal and only snacks....it's beer and wine only. You can drive down the road and buy marijuana legally but can't be served hard stuff at the Delta Skyclub. Keep Oregon Weird is a very common bumper sticker.
Go figure
Well we all know there will never be real food in the SC.
Old Sep 21, 16, 3:21 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt
Well we all know there will never be real food in the SC.
The Costco chicken salad isn't bad. I assume that's where they get it.
Old Sep 21, 16, 3:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Not even Baileys for my coffee.
That deserves a . . . . .

Heavens to Betsy!!!

Old Sep 21, 16, 4:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by tmorse6570 View Post
The Costco chicken salad isn't bad. I assume that's where they get it.
Check the fat content and calory count on that stuff. Some Skyclubs have pda's with the info. Anyway, I was so shocked at how unhealthy the chicken salad is, I vowed not to touch it
Old Sep 21, 16, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Not even Baileys for my coffee.
This is a serious matter.

Baileys is all that keeps me from my fear of flying on early flights without alcohol.

Get up at 4:15am, cycle through the shower, head to Hartsfield, no time for the java... upstairs at A SC, looking for the bartender to spike my SC Starbucks at 6:05. Rituals must be preserved.
Old Sep 21, 16, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saj8986 View Post
Go figure
Unless something has changed, you can't even pump your own gas in Oregon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: