Wiki Posts
Search

More Shena at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National Executive
More Shena at LGA

On 07-Sep-2016 I was on DL5177 from LGA - SDF. I was #1 on the list with 2 seats showing empty. When they called PREM I was the first person in line to board and asked the agent if he had processed the upgrade list. He fidgeted with the computer and said, "It's not working but take a seat in front".

I boarded and took a seat but still showed #1 on the upgrade list. When the flight was about the leave he came on and pulled someone from the back and put them in the other open seat, who knows if it was #2 or his friend trying to get home.

I do see more rules being followed than broken but this seemed to be a blatant negligent attempt to not process the gate upgrade list and give the seats to whoever he wanted.

My $.02 on this subject.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do records after the flight show that you sat in FC?

How were you supposed to know which FC seats were empty in order to take one of them?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
So you got your UG and you don't have any evidence that the other person pulled wasn't the #2 on the list.

You might have to add another couple of pennies to the ante.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do records after the flight show that you sat in FC?

How were you supposed to know which FC seats were empty in order to take one of them?
He did say, "Take 2C", which showed empty on the seat map.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
So you got your UG and you don't have any evidence that the other person pulled wasn't the #2 on the list.

You might have to add another couple of pennies to the ante.
This is more about him following protocol. He had not processed the upgrade list as he should before the flight had started boarding. I had to prompt him to do it and then he didn't seem to know how to do it or the system was, in fact, broken.

I do not know if the #2 was the person who was really #2 as the list never changed because the agent was inept or the system was broken. But the fact that he had seemed to forget to do it when I asked him about it does lead me to one conclusion.

I'm always happy to be in F but I really do just pay for my coach seat and expect only to get home safely.

Best to all,
John
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by air1jdg
This is more about him following protocol. He had not processed the upgrade list as he should before the flight had started boarding. I had to prompt him to do it and then he didn't seem to know how to do it or the system was, in fact, broken.
But he breached protocol by asking you to "take a seat in front" without processing the upgrades, and you did. Would you have complained if he didn't pull someone from the back, against protocol?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
So you're upset he came onboard to pull someone up to the empty seat? Someone who you have no data point to say was/was not next on the list?

Isn't this what people on FT complain all day about many GA's NOT doing?

No shena here - stop trying to make shena happen
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCTraveller
But he breached protocol by asking you to "take a seat in front" without processing the upgrades, and you did. Would you have complained if he didn't pull someone from the back, against protocol?
I am not complaining. I think I will continue to be a lurker on this site. I thought I was adding some meaningful insight to a continuous discussion that I see here yet I am bombarded with people seeing me as a complainer.

The entire situation was not what I was used to seeing, I thought it was worthy of a discussion. End of story.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodford02A
So you're upset he came onboard to pull someone up to the empty seat? Someone who you have no data point to say was/was not next on the list?

Isn't this what people on FT complain all day about many GA's NOT doing?

Yes, my apologies for the thread title, I can see how you think I'm trying to make something out of possibly nothing.

The point I wanted to make is that he had no intention of properly processing the upgrade list prior to boarding, I had to call it to his attention. I am not used to seeing this and, as far as I know, is not proper procedure.

I love Delta and FT and I am not complaining as per my other post-reply.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by woodford02A
Well we don't actually know that because delta.com no longer (AFAICT) offers the ability to view fare class paid vs flown.

Based on the story as presented there are three possible scenarios:
  1. The employee wasn't properly trained
  2. The employee was attempting to pull a shena
  3. The computer really wasn't working

Which is it? Clearly we don't know, but I'll bet it wasn't the last one.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
4.The employee was lazy.

5.The employee was short of time and needed/wanted to have the flight depart on time.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: delta dm
LGA always a treat. It could very well be lazy as much as shena knowing LGA.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by air1jdg
I think I will continue to be a lurker on this site.
Don't run away mad. All participants are welcome here with every possible viewpoint!

I think you may have a misunderstanding as to our definition of what "Shena(igans)" is. To most of us here, I believe, Shena is considered to have appeared when - in one way or another - a Medallion at or near the top of the upgrade list is seemingly passed over, and a Delta employee is verifyably sitting in the open F seat.

In your case, it seems as though a paying passenger was pulled from the back, so, this may have been some other improper processing of the UG list, but, not really "Shena", where a Medallion loses an UG to an employee.

Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I think this thread would be much more fairly titled "Can upgrade processing be broken?" or some such. It doesn't seem Shena-ish to me.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by dzflyer
LGA always a treat. It could very well be lazy as much as shena knowing LGA.
And perish the thought that he might be a new employee working a flight alone for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.