How long through LHR?

Old Sep 20, 16, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
How long through LHR?

I'm traveling to Liverpool in a few weeks, flying into LHR and taking a train from Euston Station. I want to book my train ticket in advance and am trying to calculate my time from landing to the station. Unfortunately, I haven't flown into LHR in about ten years, so I don't remember what all is involved in getting from the plane to the tube. How long should I allow to get through the airport and to the Underground?

FWIW, I'm flying ATL-LHR direct on Delta metal.
Old Sep 20, 16, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The big issue is getting through immigration and customs at LHR. If you can somehow cadge a Fastrack card from a FA, you can get through immigration in less than 10 minutes after entering the immigration hall (depending on where your plane parks, you can have at least a 10 minute walk from the plane to the immigration hall). Otherwise, plan on one hour clearing immigration and customs.

The tube will take around 50-55 minutes, with a change to the Northern Line at Leicester Square. If you have a rail pass, use the Heathrow Express (15-20 minutes), and at Paddington look for the Hammersmith line which will take you to Euston Square, about 400 yards from the entrance to Euston Station, about 20 minutes total.

So, if you are going to buy a discount ticket and book a certain time to leave Euston, the time should be at least 2 hours 30 minutes after scheduled airline arrival.

My experience with this is that once a year I fly into LHR and take a train from Euston to Glasgow Central. I am a big fan of Britrailpasses. If you haven't thought about buying one, really look into it.
Old Sep 20, 16, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
LHR isn't really the best airport for onward travel to Liverpool given the long hike from plane to tube and multiple changes between tube and mainline stations. A much better bet is to fly ATL-MAN. Immigration for the morning TATL arrivals is usually quieter than at LHR, plus it's an easy walk to the airport train station where you can get a direct service to Liverpool Lime Street (no change necessary). MAN to Liverpool is 1 hr by train (vs 3 hr from London).
Old Sep 20, 16, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
If you can somehow cadge a Fastrack card from a FA
If you have a rail pass, use the Heathrow Express
I've had very good luck with getting a FastTrack voucher by asking an FA. This even worked when I was a PM.

You don't need a rail pass to ride the Heathrow Express, though maybe ND76 is guessing that you wouldn't want to spend the extra money for the express if you looking to buy advance purchase train tickets. If I recall correctly, you can get advance purchase Heathrow Express tickets for about 9 quid. For comparison, I think the tube is around 5.50 from LHR to Euston.
Old Sep 20, 16, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
No need to change to the Northern Line. Take Picadilly line from LHR to King's Cross - Euston is an easy walk. Yes the HEX is quicker but with the tube change and the usual chaos in Paddington tube stn I far prefer the tube, and connecting to Euston is a cinch. I would still leave 2.5 hours unless you have FastTrack, 2 hrs if you do. All assuming you don't check luggage - don't know what that adds in LHR as I don't do it.
Old Sep 21, 16, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies -- this is very helpful. I'm spending some time in London on the way back so made it a round trip. Could have done ATL-MAN then LHR-ATL, but I can't use a global upgrade on a direct flight to MAN; I would need a stop, so no real time savings. Plus I enjoy the train.
Old Sep 21, 16, 5:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
If your GUC clears and you're seated in the D1 cabin, you will automatically be given a fast track pass. My experience on DL has been that they only give these to D1 passengers, not C+ or economy, even upon request
Old Sep 21, 16, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
Originally Posted by DaveNC View Post
Thanks for the replies -- this is very helpful. I'm spending some time in London on the way back so made it a round trip. Could have done ATL-MAN then LHR-ATL, but I can't use a global upgrade on a direct flight to MAN; I would need a stop, so no real time savings. Plus I enjoy the train.
I'm not sure I follow. You can now use GUCs on DL-marketed, VS-operated flights (see here).

Originally Posted by woodford02A View Post
If your GUC clears and you're seated in the D1 cabin, you will automatically be given a fast track pass. My experience on DL has been that they only give these to D1 passengers, not C+ or economy, even upon request
I have not had the same experience. Every time I've showed an FA my medallion credentials on my phone, on both VS and DM operated flights, they've given me a FastTrack voucher. I want to say I've did this 3 or 4 times before I became a registered traveler.
Old Sep 29, 16, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ruckzac View Post
I'm not sure I follow. You can now use GUCs on DL-marketed, VS-operated flights (see here).
Interesting. I did not know that, and when I booked the ticket I was told by the agent that I could not use it, so I just believed her. (Frankly, I haven't been paying as much attention to these things as I should.)

I'm booked now, but I'll know for next time.
Old Sep 30, 16, 10:23 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by DaveNC View Post
Interesting. I did not know that, and when I booked the ticket I was told by the agent that I could not use it, so I just believed her. (Frankly, I haven't been paying as much attention to these things as I should.)

I'm booked now, but I'll know for next time.
It's a fairly recent development so if you booked the ticket a while ago the agent would have been correct at the time.

If you want to freshen up before heading out for the train, you are also entitled to use the Virgin Atlantic Revivals (arrivals) Lounge at LHR for a shower and decent breakfast. You'd obviously want to leave a bit more time to get to your train after doing that. If you plan your timing for using Revivals, that could also provide you a buffer in case of delays or long immigration waits, in which case you could bail on Revivals and head straight for the train.
Old Oct 1, 16, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
The flight attendants on my VA flight today said they didn't have the fast track passes but to just show the business class boarding pass. FALSE. No pass, no fast track. After an unbelievably long walk from the gate to immigration, it was another hour to get through the incredibly understaffed and slow immigration process. Can we have T4 back please?
Old Oct 1, 16, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
That has not been my experience. As a PM traveling in PE on VS an FA did not hesitate to give me a fast track card when I requested it. That has occurred on two or three trips; the most recent was last January. I'll test that again later this month.
Old Oct 3, 16, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ruckzac View Post
I have not had the same experience. Every time I've showed an FA my medallion credentials on my phone, on both VS and DM operated flights, they've given me a FastTrack voucher. I want to say I've did this 3 or 4 times before I became a registered traveler.

Well, I'm a DM in D1, so hopefully somewhere between the two I'll get a little love from the FA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: