FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   how much time for layover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1792027-how-much-time-layover.html)

pease Sep 20, 16 1:17 pm

how much time for layover?

Is less than 2 hours ok? Airlines say it's a "legal" connection-- but isn't that cutting things too close?

Does the overwater flight ever wait for late passengers (from same airline)?

Thank you.

pease Sep 20, 16 1:19 pm

please rate these airports

Miami or Tampa for originating flight?

Atlanta or PHL for connecting flight to Venice?

Business class lounges about the same? General "ease" of the airport?

Thank you.

mpheels Sep 20, 16 1:26 pm

2 hours is fine for ATL. I've made connections from the far end of A to the far end of F in less than 15 minutes - that's about the farthest you can expect to travel for a domestic to international connection on DL at ATL.

I haven't been through PHL in several years, and never for an international flights, so I can't speak to that.

The Situation Sep 20, 16 1:31 pm

2 hours is plenty of time leaving the U.S. Coming back to the U.S. you have to go through customs which can take some time, but you should make it. ATL means you will be on Delta which is preferable, because they will handle any SNAFUs a lot better for you, especially if you are paid business. DL has frequent service, so as long as you are not booked on the last flight of the night, they will just stick you on the next one if you get delayed in customs. Yes, DL will hold flights for passengers if your flight is delayed and its the only flight to a city that day, but don't count on it.

gooselee Sep 20, 16 1:37 pm

2 hours is way more than enough at ATL, even with a slight delay on your inbound. Personally I'd be very comfortable with even just 60 minutes, though I'm very familiar with ATL and am thankfully fully able-bodied.

PHL...what airlines? The DL gates are all very, very close to each other, but something about your routing makes me think you won't be on DL if you take that route. I can't really speak for the AA/US terminals there, but I know the international gates are somewhat more "separate" at PHL than they are at ATL.

Note that you need a little more connecting time when you return back to the USA vs. when you're departing. When you leave, you just need to get to your departure gate, present your passport along with your BP, and stroll on to the plane. When you re-enter the US, you must allow time to clear customs/immigration, including claiming and re-checking your luggage.

At ATL, I'd still be comfortable with 2 hours when re-entering the US.

wrp96 Sep 20, 16 1:40 pm

FYI, the OP is comparing AA through PHL vs DL through ATL. This may help you guys give better advice.

gooselee Sep 20, 16 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 27239239)
FYI, the OP is comparing AA through PHL vs DL through ATL. This may help you guys give better advice.

Thanks. Ignore anything I said about PHL, then. I've only done O&D there. :)

mAAine_flyer Sep 20, 16 2:03 pm

I regularly schedule 1 hr dom-intl connections in Philly and find it an easier place to connect than ATL. Intl departures from PHL are out of the A gates which are an easy 10-15 min walk from the B and C concourses (or 15-20 mins on the airside bus from F). A random search of flight arrivals from MIA/TPA has most of them coming into B and C (or sometimes even A). Clubs are much the same, unless you can access the BA club in PHL which will be slightly superior to AA's and DL's offerings.

As far as I know, ATL doesn't have nonstop service to VCE, so you'd require an additional connection in Europe. For that reason alone, I'd go with the simpler one-connection option via PHL.

MSPeconomist Sep 20, 16 2:26 pm

DL has had seasonal service to VCE, but I'm not sure whether it's through ATL or JFK.

Widgets Sep 20, 16 2:57 pm

For reference, my best time for a domestic-to-domestic ATL connection was ~17 minutes from A or B (can't remember) to F. I booked myself an illegal connection time and sprinted. 17 minutes was from flight arrival (parked at gate) to arriving at the connecting gate. I think I was present for boarding about 8-10 minutes before departure.

NoStressHere Sep 20, 16 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by pease (Post 27239139)
Is less than 2 hours ok? Airlines say it's a "legal" connection-- but isn't that cutting things too close?

Does the overwater flight ever wait for late passengers (from same airline)?

Thank you.

When asking a question, provide some detailed information so people can help you. This is not just internet practice, but in life in general.

How much time? 20 minutes is less than two hours, and so is 110 minutes.
What airline? (assume DL)
What flights?
Where from? Where to?
What class of service?
Do you tend to walk normal, or slow.

flyerCO Sep 20, 16 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27239459)
DL has had seasonal service to VCE, but I'm not sure whether it's through ATL or JFK.

ATL-VCE is seasonal, JFK-VCE is year round. DL474 is a direct flight MIA-VCE via JFK.

For OP, no if the inbound from MIA is late that doesn't mean that the JFK-VCE portion will be held. This isn't a DL specific issue, rather no airline in general holds the 2nd portion of a direct flight if the first portion is late. This is due to the fact that other then WN, very few direct flights operate on the same equipment anymore. Also note that DL474 MIA-VCE connects in JFK, not ATL.