FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Cell phone battery catches fire today on DL 2557 ORF-ATL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1791285-cell-phone-battery-catches-fire-today-dl-2557-orf-atl.html)

hockeystl Sep 16, 2016 11:17 am

Cell phone battery catches fire today on DL 2557 ORF-ATL

A Delta Airlines flight from Norfolk to Atlanta this morning had just taken off when a cell phone battery not attached to a phone caught fire.

About 15 minutes into Delta flight 2557, someone called out that there was a fire in Row 34, according to Virginian-Pilot reporter Robyn Sidersky, who was on the plane.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/ce...7fe982155.html

pvn Sep 16, 2016 11:41 am

Since it was a spare battery that wasn't in a phone, it sounds like most likely it made contact with something metal in the guy's bag and shorted out.

Widgets Sep 16, 2016 11:42 am

It's good that the crew stopped the fire and didn't have to divert, for the passengers' safety and convenience.

MSPeconomist Sep 16, 2016 12:58 pm

I guess this is why airlines discourage spare batteries in checked bags.

kop84 Sep 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27221747)

Apparently not everything in the safety announcements are BS!

UKtravelbear Sep 16, 2016 1:57 pm

DL even give specific advice - see the section on lithium batteries including protecting the terminals

Auston Sep 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 27221961)
DL even give specific advice - see the section on lithium batteries including protecting the terminals

What an interesting read ...

Personal Flotation Devices
Though we provide life jackets to each and every passenger, you are welcome to bring your own.

I think I might just bring this on my next flight! ;)
https://s21.postimg.cc/blwinptur/81..._PL_SL1500.jpg

WhiskeyBravo Sep 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 27221394)
It's good that the crew stopped the fire and didn't have to divert, for the passengers' safety and convenience.

This is ridiculously understated.

KDCAflyer Sep 16, 2016 3:07 pm

You're supposed to make sure that the electrodes on batteries are securely taped over. Definitely a preventable incident.

jdrtravel Sep 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 27222273)
You're supposed to make sure that the electrodes on batteries are securely taped over.

I don't think this is a realistic expectation of the public. I certainly don't want my safety to depend on people knowing this. There needs to be a technology solution to prevent battery fires.

BigDawg23 Sep 16, 2016 6:56 pm

I flew a RT fron MSP-SNA this week. Both times the Lead Flight attendant didnt even call the right phone. They said just the S7 Edge. WHen you she came by I said its the Note 7. She never made a corrected announcement. One of the other flight attendants told me to shutdown my Note 4 as it was not permitted.

I fly with alot with Cordless tools. Everytime TSA goes through my bag, I assume to ensure my battery packs are connected to tools. I am perfectly fine with that. I dont let any batteries travel unconnected. Any spare batteriers are in cloth bags and away from being contacted to other metals to short out(back up laptop battery).

Widgets Sep 16, 2016 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawg23 (Post 27223036)
I flew a RT fron MSP-SNA this week. Both times the Lead Flight attendant didnt even call the right phone. They said just the S7 Edge. WHen you she came by I said its the Note 7. She never made a corrected announcement. One of the other flight attendants told me to shutdown my Note 4 as it was not permitted.

I fly with alot with Cordless tools. Everytime TSA goes through my bag, I assume to ensure my battery packs are connected to tools. I am perfectly fine with that. I dont let any batteries travel unconnected. Any spare batteriers are in cloth bags and away from being contacted to other metals to short out(back up laptop battery).

The lack of attention to detail when telling passengers what isn't allowed is very frustrating.

N639DL Sep 17, 2016 12:24 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27221747)

Let's not forget about e-cigarettes too.

wlau Sep 17, 2016 1:29 am

I used to get irritated by these regulation, until my battery pack (that can use to charge phone) started to overheat and smoke while I was on the ground in an airport. It changed my prospective completely.

DO NOT BUY cheap Chinese battery packs. DO NOT BUY Duracell cell phone accessories and battery packs - they are not made by Duracell but license to a low-end accessories company in New York that uses the cheapest crap from China.

satman40 Sep 17, 2016 9:48 am

Any battery will heat up when shorted out...

'Chinese or not..

AMERICAN always blaming others,,.