Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why can't DL tell me what my int'l ticket is worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't DL tell me what my int'l ticket is worth?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Unless it's because of a change they did that qualifies for a refund you don't get GUCs back. As for refund you only get what you paid nothing else. The agents are having problems because of all the ticket reissues. This is why it goes to a refund department to process. As for MQD they'll know what you actually paid. The GUCs are messing up the ticket value you see do to the reissues. However it'll be clear what was actually paid vs what is because of the GUC/reissue when it comes time for MQDs.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by davetravels
Got'cha! I thought you were implying I knew something about incest.

That said, I use my HTB's sparingly, and wisely.

Oh man, I am away all day and find I was nearly HTB's by Dave and my thread is about incest. That is what a few hours on the phone with DL will do for you.

As for MQD they'll know what you actually paid.
That is what I am questioning...because it seems they DON'T know what I paid and my receipt is showing an amount 10x higher. I will have to report back about the MQD's and RDM's post-flight.

Good luck with that. They'll probably give you miles as compensation but not your actual GUCs back. The T&C on the GUCs is that you can't get them back so if this goes through and they give you miles or something you'll be SOL.
Everyone promised me I'd get them back...DL tends to follow through with that. But it is one headache leading me to not cancel.

How does this mess with your "rollover game"?

If you fly 150,000 BUS miles, but only spend enough MQDs for platinum status you won't rollover the 75,000 miles, you would only roll over 49,999 (had a co-worker that was Diamond rolled over 88,xxx miles, the following year he had a medical issue, flew roughly 80,000 miles and missed the MQD by roughly $3,000, and so he dropped to Platinum and they only rolled over the difference below Diamond. So he had roughly 35,000 MQMs that he lost out on rollover to the next year.

So is your game to downgrade to Platinum? You obviously are Diamond now if you got GUC.

Seems like a strange game to me if it is.
There is no roll-over "limit" like you stated above. I have done this for a few years now. As long as you spend FO MQD's, you rollover anything above that...even if it is 90K MQM's. If this trip forces me to hit GM MQD's, I will roll over much less and be sad.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This trip isn't to BKK is it? The rebooking on some of those makes it look like the fare is more then what actually paid. However if you cancel you'll only get what you paid back.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now, I'm really confused. How is it possible that you do not know what you paid?

Look at your CC statement for the month in which you purchased the ticket. That will show the purchase price of the ticket. That is the amount to which you are entitled if you refund due to a qualifying INVOL.

DL will come to that conclusion, but it will take research through its rate desk and no number of calls to front line agents or the people DL calls supervisors is going to get that calculation done over the phone.

But, it doesn't matter because it's information you have in your possession.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Often1
Now, I'm really confused. How is it possible that you do not know what you paid?
I know what I paid. My DL receipt online now says I paid over 10 times that amount. Many hours on the phone with DL reveal they have no idea what I spent or would get back if I cancel. I just couldn't believe this was such an impossible question for them.

At this point, I will just keep the flights and see what happens afterward.

This trip isn't to BKK is it? The rebooking on some of those makes it look like the fare is more then what actually paid.
No, not BKK. 100% DL and still on DL after the rebookings.

Last edited by pgh234; Sep 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by pgh234

There is no roll-over "limit" like you stated above. I have done this for a few years now. As long as you spend FO MQD's, you rollover anything above that...even if it is 90K MQM's. If this trip forces me to hit GM MQD's, I will roll over much less and be sad.
For your sake I hope your right, but I saw what I described first hand with a co-worker for rollover from 2015 to 2016. Listened to him vent about it, and that calling into DL, and emails to the 360 Executive team did nothing for him.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
The only thing more complicated that the US Tax Code is airline fare construction And neither can be understood by most mortals.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mspreh
For your sake I hope your right, but I saw what I described first hand with a co-worker for rollover from 2015 to 2016. Listened to him vent about it, and that calling into DL, and emails to the 360 Executive team did nothing for him.
I think either he misspoke or you misunderstood. However MQM rollover is always based upon the amount over whatever level you earn. There's no limit. I know Golds that fly regularly but on cheap fares who rollover more then 25k a year. I know the one year I only hit PM MQD I rolled over the full amount.

Did he earn PM status actually or was he gifted it?

Here's a link to T&C
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I know what I paid. My DL receipt online now says I paid over 10 times that amount. Many hours on the phone with DL reveal they have no idea what I spent or would get back if I cancel. I just couldn't believe this was such an impossible question for them.

At this point, I will just keep the flights and see what happens afterward.

No, not BKK. 100% DL and still on DL after the rebookings.
Of course, DL knows exactly what you paid. The information is simply not available to front line agents. Or, perhaps better put, DL does not train those agents on how to access the parts of the system which provide the information because they don't routinely need it and there are back office people who are trained for those situations when it is needed.

But, since you know what you paid, that is what the refund will be when you do cancel.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mspreh
How did the co-worker become a 360 with low MQDs?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
FWIW, when I change flights and get a new receipt, it shows the payment method as either a previous ticket ticket number and something like "Original FOP" etc.

But there IS a track-back to the ticket that was exchanged, and where the value for the new ticket was claimed. The refund desk will simply track back through all those ticket exchanges until they get to a FOP that was your CC (and not an exchanged ticket), and that's what you'll receive back. Plus of course your GUCs.

Frontline phone agents aren't going to do all that digging, but DL certainly has it all in their records.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did the co-worker become a 360 with low MQDs?
My co-worker isn't 360, only the CEO of our company is.

However Delta provided our company with an email address to use if we ever had any issues.

I apologize, it isn't 360 either, it is the 980 Executive Corporate Care team. I made a mistake when I said 360.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If they are saying it is worth 10 times what you paid, then I would cancel. Sounds like Delta wants to give you money.

LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.