Search

NTSB: Pilot Error Cause Of LGA Crash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
NTSB: Pilot Error Cause Of LGA Crash

Well, big surprise, it was pilot error. I still can't believe everyone made it out alive. They are all very lucky.

http://avherald.com/h?article=482b659f/0003
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, I've had a chance to read all of it now and it seems a lot of people here owe me an apology. In the big thread on this accident I criticized the crew for taking so long to evacuate the aircraft (17 minutes). Many people here said it was no big deal and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, the proof is now in front of you. The NTSB agrees with me.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The NTSB agrees with me.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Wonder what happened the pilots? Still employed?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
Wonder what happened the pilots? Still employed?
Perhaps employees but maybe not as pilots.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Well, I've had a chance to read all of it now and it seems a lot of people here owe me an apology. In the big thread on this accident I criticized the crew for taking so long to evacuate the aircraft (17 minutes). Many people here said it was no big deal and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, the proof is now in front of you. The NTSB agrees with me.
Well at least you're not bitter about it.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by live5
Well at least you're not bitter about it.
I'm not bitter and I know better than to think that anyone on FT would actually admit that they were wrong. I just thought it was incredible that so many people claimed they would stay put on an aircraft that just crashed and in an unknown condition.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:01 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I'm not bitter and I know better than to think that anyone on FT would actually admit that they were wrong. I just thought it was incredible that so many people claimed they would stay put on an aircraft that just crashed and in an unknown condition.
YEYL (you exit you lose)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Reading the summary of the NTSB findings, I'm wondering why the lead F.A. wouldn't have a bullhorn in a locker in easy reach of the fwd F.A. jump seats? Surely there have been other incidents over the years in various aircraft where all electrical power is lost. It seems absurd to have F.A.s only be able to yell to pax, and run back and forth to communicate, in a 101 ft. long cabin.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RaflW
Reading the summary of the NTSB findings, I'm wondering why the lead F.A. wouldn't have a bullhorn in a locker in easy reach of the fwd F.A. jump seats? Surely there have been other incidents over the years in various aircraft where all electrical power is lost. It seems absurd to have F.A.s only be able to yell to pax, and run back and forth to communicate, in a 101 ft. long cabin.
I've seen them in the overhead bin that has the emergency equipment. Not sure why they didn't have one, or if they did, didn't use it.

I do hope the FAA fines DL for failing to evacuate the plane promptly. There was no reason for that not to happen and every reason for it to happen.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've seen them in the overhead bin that has the emergency equipment. Not sure why they didn't have one, or if they did, didn't use it.

I do hope the FAA fines DL for failing to evacuate the plane promptly. There was no reason for that not to happen and every reason for it to happen.
It was the FAA however whom approved the DL Flight Attendant Manual. Apparently the FAA approved a manual that had no contingencies for crew communication in event of a loss of intercom/PA.

There are also seems to be a lack of direction in the FAM as to the situations when the cabin crew can initiate an evacuation themselves (procedures that deal expressly with the type of accident that occurred at LGA).

It appears the recommendations from the NTSB from a previous DL MD80 accident on the runway (uncontained engine failure, multiple serious passenger injuries and fatality) were completely disregarded. In that official NTSB report, the lack of a contingency in situations where intercom/PA had failed was expressly identified as a serious issue at Delta. The pilots in that accident had no idea that there were multiple severe injuries and fatality in the rear of the aircraft and some passengers started evacuating by themselves with further risks (being hit by emergency vehicles etc outside) due to no communication of such evacuation by the pilots to the emergency services.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The big issue is that the crew seemed to act like they had no clue what to do. Even once an evacuation was known to be needed due to leaking fuel they delayed getting people off. Yes the FAM needs updating, but the crew IMO needs to be retrained or removed from flight service.

Also as for FAM ON evacuation, crews can and should evacuate whenever needed. The days of waiting for the captain to ok it, are long gone.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The big issue is that the crew seemed to act like they had no clue what to do. Even once an evacuation was known to be needed due to leaking fuel they delayed getting people off. Yes the FAM needs updating, but the crew IMO needs to be retrained or removed from flight service.
So much for the crew being there for our safety

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.