FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   EC261 for a DL flight paid by KLM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1789592-ec261-dl-flight-paid-klm.html)

najrob Sep 8, 2016 2:20 am

EC261 for a DL flight paid by KLM

Hi
today I received an answer for my claim filed on delta.com for a EC261 compensation. The answer came from KLM and they offered me a 800€ KLM voucher or 600€ in cash if I have a european bank account. I happen to have one but still, it is frustrating because I cannot add the KLM voucher to my skymiles wallet and use it as I go. For most US domestic flights, booking through KLM is more expensive or not all flights offered on delta.com are available. I could call KLM and try to book over the phone but thats a hassle too.
I thought Delta would offer a voucher I can use for them or the cash ; I might as well go with the cash now and I am still happy that the whole compensation process was fast and without arguing but still.
Did that happen to anyone else before too?

flyerCO Sep 8, 2016 2:26 am

Originally Posted by najrob (Post 27181738)
Hi
toady I received an answer for my claim filed on delta.com for a EC261 compensation. The answer came from KLM and they offered me a 800€ KLM voucher or 600€ in cash if I have a european bank account. I happen to have one but still, it is frustrating because I cannot add the KLM voucher to my skymiles wallet and use it as I go. For most US domestic flights, booking through KLM is more expensive or not all flights offered on delta.com are available. I could call KLM and try to book over the phone but thats a hassle too.
I thought Delta would offer a voucher I can use for them or the cash ; I might as well go with the cash now and I am still happy that the whole compensation process was fast and without arguing but still.
Did that happen to anyone else before too?

You can call DL and book using a KLM certificate. It will require some extra work, and a transfer to a desk that handles KLM issues specifically at DL. However, it should be doable.

MSPeconomist Sep 8, 2016 6:49 am

The carrier operating the flight on which the cancellation or delay occurred is responsible for EC261 comp, but KLM handles DL stuff in Europe and vice versa for USA. Have you asked for a DL voucher or cash paid in dollars via check? KLM cannot refuse to give you payment in money just because you don't have an EU bank account.

davetravels Sep 8, 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27181749)
You can call DL and book using a KLM certificate. It will require some extra work, and a transfer to a desk that handles KLM issues specifically at DL. However, it should be doable.

Yeah, this.

I had a 400€ (I think) AF voucher. Delta handled it here in the USA.

Although DL handles AF "stuff" in the USA, ultimately, I was transferred to (I was told) an actual AF agent to do the ticketing after DL set it up. He had a very heavy French accent. If it matters, I seem to think he said he was in Miami?

TTT Sep 8, 2016 7:45 am

Is a check for the €600 an option? If so, most banks would cash it (with some fees).

I have submitted a EC261 request with KLM last week due to an overnight missed connection. How long did it take to process your submission?

drminn Sep 8, 2016 8:35 am

Sometime last year I asked for and got a check in US$ for EU261 compensation. I did come from Delta in the end.

MSPeconomist Sep 8, 2016 8:47 am

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 27182655)
Is a check for the €600 an option? If so, most banks would cash it (with some fees).

I have submitted a EC261 request with KLM last week due to an overnight missed connection. How long did it take to process your submission?

This depends on whether you're a customer of a (federally chartered) full service commercial bank, although even the smaller ones don't deal enough in foreign currencies to have their own systems to handle it, so there can be delays and high costs. If you maintain your account with a state bank, a savings bank, a savings and loan association, a credit union, or money market with checks or brokerage accounts, chances are than they will refuse to handle a check in foreign currency.

TTT Sep 8, 2016 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27182967)
This depends on whether you're a customer of a (federally chartered) full service commercial bank, although even the smaller ones don't deal enough in foreign currencies to have their own systems to handle it, so there can be delays and high costs. If you maintain your account with a state bank, a savings bank, a savings and loan association, a credit union, or money market with checks or brokerage accounts, chances are than they will refuse to handle a check in foreign currency.

That may be true. Another option might be to use an account at a wire house (if you have one). Many will process FX checks.

mAAine_flyer Sep 8, 2016 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27182967)
If you maintain your account with a state bank, a savings bank, a savings and loan association, a credit union, or money market with checks or brokerage accounts, chances are than they will refuse to handle a check in foreign currency.

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 27183329)
That may be true.

Except it's not.

TTT Sep 8, 2016 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer (Post 27183538)
Except it's not.

I bet some smaller banks would be reluctant to process a FX check, but YMMV. I would call my bank before accepting a FX check anyway.

flyerCO Sep 8, 2016 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer (Post 27183538)
Except it's not.

All are part of the Federal reserve system and can clear checks in foreign funds if they have systems to handle it. However those listed by MSP generally don't have systems to handle foreign currency transactions. I bank with a fairly sizeable FCU and they won't even take foreign currency, much less a check. I also have an account (old family account) at a very small state bank, they'll take both foreign cash and checks.

margarita girl Oct 5, 2016 3:16 am

I have the opposite situation. I flew KLM from YYZ-AMS on Sept 4 (DL ticket stock) and flight was delayed over 4 hrs on a brand new 787 (2 weeks old) due to a deffective hydraulic part. I submitted a claim for EC261 compensation to KLM on Sept 13 and got an auto reply and nothing else.

I communicated with KLM's Facebook team and they said I needed to submit my complaint to DL which I did on Sept 21 and did not even get an auto reply with a case number. I resubmitted to DL on Oct 2 thinking I had maybe done something wrong, but again no auto-reply/case number.

What is the correct procedure for submitting a claim to DL? I would like an acknowledgement that someone is working on this. I've hear NOTHING from either airline (other than KL's auto reply).

I used the Contact Us link > Voice a Complaint > Before Trip.

najrob Oct 5, 2016 4:14 am

When my flight (DL operated) was delayed out of AMS I called DL first and they told me that I have to use their Contact Us Link too. Until today I never received an answer. After four weeks I decided to call KL and they went right ahead, gave me another reference number (bc. they canīt see DLs reference number and their systems donīt match) and three days later I received an answer. So maybe try to call KL and try to do it over the phone - it worked for me just fine.

serfty Oct 5, 2016 4:26 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 27305103)
I have the opposite situation. I flew KLM from YYZ-AMS on Sept 4 (DL ticket stock) and flight was delayed over 4 hrs on a brand new 787 (2 weeks old) due to a deffective hydraulic part. ...

Airlines don't like the regulation and generally try to delay, obfuscate and otherwise pretend claims relating to it do not exist or are invalid.

Ticket stock (ticketing carrier), flight number (marketing carrier) are irrelevant when it come to EUC 261/2004.

It's the operating carrier who is liable - so KLM - and they have lied to you (it's nothing to do with DL)

Contact them again and do not be put off.

najrob Oct 5, 2016 5:51 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 27305241)
Airlines don't like the regulation and generally try to delay, obfuscate and otherwise pretend claims relating to it do not exist or are invalid.

Ticket stock (ticketing carrier), flight number (marketing carrier) are irrelevant when it come to EUC 261/2004.

It's the operating carrier who is liable - so KLM - and they have lied to you (it's nothing to do with DL)

Contact them again and do not be put off.

In my case operating carrier was DL and KLM gave me the voucher (only usable on KLM.com or cash) - so generally yes, but with the DL/KL/AF combo itīs a little confusing due to their handling of customer service for each other