Wiki Posts
Search

Giving an Int'l D1 seat to spouse?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This is the point I made way up thread.

OPs employer paid for him to be in BE for a reason - so he could get rest and / or work on the flight - and be ready to work.

If the OP failed to perform at his business meeting his employer would soon find out as the client would likely tell them "hey Jack Fred was tired at the meeting why the heck am I paying you guys to fly in Business class for???"

That's the main risk the OP has. Not from the tax man
Agree 100 percent. I own a business. If I had an employee who was supposed to be in business class but was trading the j seat for a y seat why would I continue to pay for it? Answer is I would not. If it happened again I would instantly terminate the person and find someone else who would honor our business contract. If you want your wife to sit in D1 pay for it out of your own pocket.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I am under the impression that this has been discussed many times and the argument is always the same. OP, do what feels right and ethic. IRS defenders, you are making a valuable contribution to the US Economy, keep it up!

That being said, and knowing our nice moderators, I have four letters: IBTL.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, as to the practical question. Simply ask the lead FA in D1. It won't be a problem, but the FA's will want to know. The FA's may care a great deal about swapping, especially during any aspect of the service. But, that will vary by crew.

Second, as to the employer issue, that is a matter of your employer's policies.

Third, as to the tax issue. If your standard is whether you will get caught, you won't absent some extraordinary circumstance. If the question is whether the wife's use of the employer-paid ticket creates a taxable event, it does. The value of the D1 ticket above Y is taxable income to the wife and she must report it. What will happen is she doesn't? Nothing.

The problem here is that many people on FT apparently believe that it is only an offense if you get caught. But, that wasn't the issue.

So, how do these things come to light? Somebody else from the same company sees this and when that person is about to be terminated, he reports it and claims whistleblower status.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I value my job and am an ethical person and have signed the company code of conduct. They pay for BE for a reason. So I am rested. I wouldn't do it (swap seats) even if there was zero chance of getting caught. I value my own integrity. BTW our CEO and his wife were on a fairly recent flight- domestic admittedly. I got the UG to F and he was sat in F too. His wife was way in the back - MD88 for those interested DAY-ATL
Following the same philosophy, no doubt neither you, nor your CEO, take advantage of drinks in J and you both make sure of getting sufficient sleep.
What about on Sunday nights ? Is the ethical employee ("indentured servant" ?) bound to go to bed earlier, to recover from the weekend excesses ?

You guys remind me of companies codes of conduct in the early industrialized world. Employees were required to maintain virtuous households and not to engage in any disreputable activities including following the wrong religion and contracting debts.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Third, as to the tax issue. If your standard is whether you will get caught, you won't absent some extraordinary circumstance. If the question is whether the wife's use of the employer-paid ticket creates a taxable event, it does. The value of the D1 ticket above Y is taxable income to the wife and she must report it.
No, it is not. It could be a disallowed business expense for the company.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:10 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
This thread is something else.

That said, I believe that what the OP meant to ask was the hypothetical question of whether the crew might allow a seat swap in the very unlikely event that his wife, who is to travel with him on the trip, felt unwell prior to boarding because the OP is a devoted and caring person who could not bear to put an ill spouse in coach on a transatlantic flight.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This is the point I made way up thread.

OPs employer paid for him to be in BE for a reason - so he could get rest and / or work on the flight - and be ready to work

How do you know this for sure? Maybe they offer this as a perk to valuable employees, and If he deems to use this perk to treat his wife in the manner he thinks she deserves he will be a happy employee and therefore won't being looking elsewhere for employment and furthermore he may be a happier person and therefore a better employee.

But at the end of the day that wasn't the question, the question was would FA's allow this, from my experience on other international and domestic carriers the holder of a premium class ticket may change their seat with anybody, a uniformed member of the military is one example. And doing this with a spouse is just deemed considerate. Now switching mid flight can be a little more complicated but if you talk to the FA's beforehand a single switch is usually no problem I have done this on several occasions myself.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Switching should not be a problem but do let the FA know. Just do it at the beginning of the flight and do not switch back and forth during the flight.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
@OP: Could you ask your company to book you a coach ticket instead - perhaps even make a deal with them such as saying "can you fly me in a day earlier and give me a rest/recovery day, as this would still be cheaper than the $4K J ticket you're buying". Such an option may be more of a win-win for both you and your company and takes away the potential ethics issue.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
@OP: Could you ask your company to book you a coach ticket instead - perhaps even make a deal with them such as saying "can you fly me in a day earlier and give me a rest/recovery day, as this would still be cheaper than the $4K J ticket you're buying". Such an option may be more of a win-win for both you and your company and takes away the potential ethics issue.
Looks like a win-win-lose proposition. Especially from the OP's wife point of view
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thesaints
No, it is not. It could be a disallowed business expense for the company.
Could it be both?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: none
OK, I'll amend my previous comment as follows:

Before takeoff, ask the flight crew if they care if OP and wife switch seats,
AND
Before trip, ask the company if they care if OP and wife switch seats. E.g., "my wife/ SO/friend/companion is coming along (in coach) at no extra cost. Any objections if we swap seats?"

If neither cares whether OP makes the switch, then do it. Or not.

And, I still don't care.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:46 pm

Cmon it is almost 2017 why be honest?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Allan38103
OK, I'll amend my previous comment as follows:

Before takeoff, ask the flight crew if they care if OP and wife switch seats,
AND
Before trip, ask the company if they care if OP and wife switch seats. E.g., "my wife/ SO/friend/companion is coming along (in coach) at no extra cost. Any objections if we swap seats?"

If neither cares whether OP makes the switch, then do it. Or not.

And, I still don't care.
Then the employer says the following: We hope you don't object but we're no longer going to reimburse premium cabin fares.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Could it be both?
unless the IRS can prove that the OP's wife performed work for the company it is not possible to define the J ticket as "compensation", or "income".
It could be a "donation" from the company to the wife, but only if there is evidence that the husband acted as an intermediary and planned to do so.
Otherwise it is a donation from husband to wife.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.