LHR T3 Lounge access (GM + Economy)

Old Sep 5, 16, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
LHR T3 Lounge access (GM + Economy)

Hi

I'm due to fly with DL LHR -> SEA which is from T3.

I normally fly DL to ATL which is from T4 so use the SkyTeam lounge, however there isn't one in T3.

I've been told that I can't use the Virgin Club House (as you need to be Delta One or DM/PM) and that the only option is to pay to use the No 1 Traveller lounge!

Is this right, it seems really REALLY dumb for Delta to treat their GM members like this!
Old Sep 5, 16, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewr1985 View Post
Hi

I'm due to fly with DL LHR -> SEA which is from T3.

I normally fly DL to ATL which is from T4 so use the SkyTeam lounge, however there isn't one in T3.

I've been told that I can't use the Virgin Club House (as you need to be Delta One or DM/PM) and that the only option is to pay to use the No 1 Traveller lounge!

Is this right, it seems really REALLY dumb for Delta to treat their GM members like this!
Slightly correct, slightly incorrect. GMs don't get access to the VS Clubhouse unless in D1/Upper Class. However, GMs get access to the No 1 Traveller lounge which is a pay lounge, but GMs are given access, they don't pay for it.
Old Sep 5, 16, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Slightly correct, slightly incorrect. GMs don't get access to the VS Clubhouse unless in D1/Upper Class. However, GMs get access to the No 1 Traveller lounge which is a pay lounge, but GMs are given access, they don't pay for it.
Great, thanks. I spoke to someone at Delta today who told me as a GM flying in Economy I'd have to pay to get access to the No 1 Traveller lounge
Old Sep 5, 16, 7:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Delta really needs to work on simplifying their lounge access rules. We have threads on this several times a week and it's always because the rules are so complicated nobody can figure them out (which I guess is what they want).
Old Sep 5, 16, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Just to complicate matters, I've spoken to DL via Twitter and I've now been told GM can access Virgin Clubhouse in LHR T3!?
Old Sep 5, 16, 9:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Unless they've changed something very recently, that's incorrect. The fact that Delta's own agents can't understand the rules should be setting off alarm bells for them.
Old Sep 5, 16, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
Originally Posted by andrewr1985 View Post
Just to complicate matters, I've spoken to DL via Twitter and I've now been told GM can access Virgin Clubhouse in LHR T3!?
It's possible, especially since Delta is moving all their flights over to T3, but I can't find any literature on their website to support that claim and would more readily guess the rep was misinformed.
Old Sep 5, 16, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG LT Gold
I don't have the link handy but the DL site--as of a few days ago--said that GM at LHR can't use the Virgin Clubhouse (although in the US GMs can). The language was unclear, however, since it did sound a bit like GMs have to pay for No 1, which is not true.

This matters to me, too, since I'm going to London tomorrow, and am going to be PM any day now--and although I know I can use the Clubhouse at JFK would like to know with some certainty what my options are going to be for the return trip. I don't mind No 1--it's better than any DL club in the US--but would of course rather have access to the LHR Clubhouse.

And while we're on the topic of DL employees not being clear about who gets in where, I've had numerous DL people tell me that SC members can't use their card for access to KLM/AF lounges. Which is simply untrue. I was Silver for a year and a half--which is to say didn't have STE+ status--and I never once had a problem using an AF or KLM lounge with my SC card.
Old Sep 5, 16, 10:39 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I do see a No 1 lounge listed for Skyteam Elite Plus, but it's for Gatwick, not Heathrow. Maybe it's incorrect and they mean Heathrow. Generally, DL Skyteam Elite Plus flying DL don't get access to third party lounges, so I'm guessing there may be some special arrangement in place. Also, I do not see any carve out allowing US GM's to access VS Clubhouse's. DL website still says Plat and Diamond (or D1 pax) only on TATL flights to/from the UK only.

A Sky Club membership can be used to access a handful of AF/KL clubs, but definitely not all of them. These are listed in the DL lounge locations finder. Yes, agents frequently get these things wrong (is this not common knowledge here?).

Last edited by LBJ; Sep 5, 16 at 11:03 am
Old Sep 5, 16, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I do see a No 1 lounge listed for Skyteam Elite Plus, but it's for Gatwick, not Heathrow. Maybe it's incorrect and they mean Heathrow. Generally, DL Skyteam Elite Plus flying DL don't get access to third party lounges, so I'm guessing there may be some special arrangement in place. Also, I do not see any carve out allowing US GM's to access VS Clubhouse's. DL website still says Plat and Diamond (or D1 pax) only on TATL flights to/from the UK only.
Well I don't know what part of the DL website says that; here's the part that I referred to:
"Clubhouse lounge access: Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available at select locations to Delta One™ and Upper Class passengers and Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members with a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic. Diamond and Platinum Medallion members may access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in London-Heathrow, London-Gatwick, New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports. Gold Medallion members may only access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses within the U.S. (New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports). Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members are allowed to bring one guest. While access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in the U.K. (London-Heathrow and London-Gatwick) is not available to Gold Medallion members, these members may enjoy the No. 1. Traveller Lounge at LHR’s Terminal 3. Please travel with and be prepared to show your Medallion card to the Virgin Atlantic representative to receive these benefits."
Old Feb 7, 17, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta PM/2.9 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Mrs. ND76 and I used the Number 1 lounge yesterday flying C+ on a V fare bucket LHR-PHL. The signage for this lounge clearly mentions Delta Gold Medallion as eligible to use this club.

The one glitch about this place was the cumbersome nature of being admitted (those without status can enter by paying GBP45). The concierge at the front counter needed to make photocopies of our boarding passes in order for her company to get paid by Delta. She had trouble operating a small photocopier; it took close to 10 minutes to be allowed into the lounge as a result.

There were a few self serve refrigerators around the club dispensing soft drinks and still/sparkling water bottles. Adult beverages were served at the bar. Beer was served in half-pint glasses. Complimentary hot food orders were taken at the bar and served at your seat by waitresses; I had a very tasty bacon roll; a couple near us ordered a pasta dish and a hamburger, and both places looked very good.

There were showers and a day spa available.

It wasn't the Clubhouse, but it was serviceable.
Old Feb 7, 17, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Those are the rules as I understand them:

- GM and Above in Main Cabin/C+: No1 Lounge
- Delta One (status or not): Virgin Clubhouse

What I don't know is if a PM/DM was in Main Cabin/C+, can they use the Clubhouse?
Old Feb 7, 17, 11:13 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scongro View Post
What I don't know is if a PM/DM was in Main Cabin/C+, can they use the Clubhouse?
No
Old Feb 7, 17, 11:16 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scongro View Post
I was wondering about that last week when contemplating a LHR trip. Here is what I found on Delta.com. I have bolded the applicable portions.

Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available at select locations to Delta One™ passengers, Upper Class passengers, and Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members with a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic. Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members may access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in London-Gatwick, New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports. Gold Medallion Members may only access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses within the U.S. (New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports). Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members are allowed to bring one guest. While access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in London-Heathrow is not available to Diamond, Platinum, or Gold Medallion Members, these Members may enjoy access to No1 Lounges, Heathrow at LHR’s Terminal 3. Please travel with and be prepared to show proof of your Medallion status to the Virgin Atlantic representative to receive these benefits.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ntic-faqs.html
Old Feb 7, 17, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
I notice that in the quote in reply #10 that it says on line 3 "...London-Heathrow..." but in the same Quote in reply #14 London-Heathrow has been omitted. I assume that the earlier quote pre-dates the latter quote!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: