Search

OLCI denied for GRU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
OLCI denied for GRU

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-me-olci.html

From the above thread and countless posts on the subject, I know the common reasons for being denied OLCI. I was denied today first on my iPhone then the web which mentioned something about documents. I called DL and although I have GE they pointed to the obvious fact that extra screening might be in order.

My flights tomorrow are OKC-ATL-DTW-GRU. (Sale price D1 originally through MCO; MQMs look good; get 333 rather than dreaded 764.)

I thought this might have to do with the visa one normally needs for Brazil. However, due to the Olympics USA passports do not require a visa up through Sept 18 (which can be purchased upon arrival in any event). My return date is Sept 12.

Just curious what I will face. I always go 2 hours before departure for international flights which is more than enough at OKC and especially on a day like tomorrow.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 4, 2016 at 3:29 am Reason: Changed Sept 15 to 18
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: dl dm, *g
I've had this happen for a few reasons.... once it was SSSS, once they just wanted to see a visa, once it was a one-way flight and they wanted to known when I planed to return, and a few times it's been for no discernible reason. Perhaps it's something to do with the Brazilian visa -- but as you point out it's not required at the moment -- so it could just be overzealous Delta IT.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Xeno
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-me-olci.html

From the above thread and countless posts on the subject, I know the common reasons for being denied OLCI. I was denied today first on my iPhone then the web which mentioned something about documents. I called DL and although I have GE they pointed to the obvious fact that extra screening might be in order.

My flights tomorrow are OKC-ATL-DTW-GRU. (Sale price D1 originally through MCO; MQMs look good; get 333 rather than dreaded 764.)

I thought this might have to do with the visa one normally needs for Brazil. However, due to the Olympics USA passports do not require a visa up through Sept 15 (which can be purchased upon arrival in any event). My return date is Sept 12.

Just curious what I will face. I always go 2 hours before departure for international flights which is more than enough at OKC and especially on a day like tomorrow.
Travel documents check, including perhaps a look for onward travel proof, are the most common inhibitors of online check-in.

HaraSSSSment is a less common inhibitor of online check-in than what I mentioned above.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

I thought the visa was a leading candidate, but DL phone agent was helpless to resolve this.

I was thrown off my routine for my last flight (CPH) and just wanted predictable flights where I moved along quickly with my EBPs and Pre-Check then slumped into my favorite seats.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When this happened to me in August, the DM agent and supervisor insisted that Brazil requires a visa.

BTW the waiver is good through September 18 arrivals.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When this happened to me in August, the DM agent and supervisor insisted that Brazil requires a visa.

It also doesn't require you having anything to do with the Olympics. However since normally a visa is required, this is at least one instant where I understand mistake. I know of at least one person that was told they had to have proof of tickets/working with the Olympics. They finally had to have a supervisor from another airline confirm that it wasn't required. However you would think a DL supervisor would have been briefed on the issue.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

So how was this resolved? I just printed off the statement from the Consulate General of Brazil in Washington (http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br...aiver_2016.xml) + USA State Department (https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ry/brazil.html). Will that be adequate?

The Brazil statement says one does not have to prove that one is attending the Olympics, but since I am leaving today and going to GRU will thta be a problem?

Do I have it wrong that you can get a visa on arrival if such is required? I am entering as a tourist, BTW.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It also doesn't require you having anything to do with the Olympics. However since normally a visa is required, this is at least one instant where I understand mistake. I know of at least one person that was told they had to have proof of tickets/working with the Olympics. They finally had to have a supervisor from another airline confirm that it wasn't required. However you would think a DL supervisor would have been briefed on the issue.
Would you then advise that I show up 3 hours early like either the DL web or DL app suggested? I just posted that I printed off statements by Brazil and USA State Dept so will that resolve the issue for someone entering as a tourist?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Would you then advise that I show up 3 hours early like either the DL web or DL app suggested? I just posted that I printed off statements by Brazil and USA State Dept so will that resolve the issue for someone entering as a tourist?
Most agents know it, but not all. If they actually read the correct information it will tell them. However some agents are just used to the normal rules, and don't realize the temporary visa waiver. Also there's no such thing as visa on arrival for US citizens in Brazil. You have to apply in advance via the Embassy or local Consulate.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most agents know it, but not all. If they actually read the correct information it will tell them. However some agents are just used to the normal rules, and don't realize the temporary visa waiver. Also there's no such thing as visa on arrival for US citizens in Brazil. You have to apply in advance via the Embassy or local Consulate.
Thank you for this helpful reply.

I am going early to address this and hope they will let me take an early flight to ATL since I am booked on a somewhat tight connection to DTW. I need the extra time in ATL to connect with a friend who will be going on from there to GRU as well.

The top and #3 officer from my office fly later today so I alerted them to be prepared for how the OKC TA might respond.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Poster

The OKC DL TA had been briefed this morning about Brazil so no problem on that front. She even put me on the earlier flight to ATL which was another positive move. There were available FC seats likely because it is Sunday in a holiday weekend.

I spoke to a red coat at the gate about not being able to download an EBP and he was at a loss both about the Brazil visa - I had to show him my print out - and especially an EBP in the app. In any event, it would seem no one can tell DL IT to give me an EBP since they want a 'visa' check at DTW.

BTW, I got PreCheck so the OLCI issue was only about the visa. I just wish I could use the app on the next two flights as that was one reason I bought the Apple Watch.

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 4, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
I just wish I could use the app on the next two flights as that was one reason I bought the Apple Watch.
Wow.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
@OP:

I just noticed that if you email your receipt to yourself, it has a paragraph about the Brazil visa waiver to September 18th. That might be enough to end any arguments from a GA.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:41 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When I flew to Berlin in August, I couldn't check-in online. I tried everything. . . . App. . . . 2 different browsers. . . . Called the DM line - they couldn't see anything wrong . . . . Web support couldn't see anything . . . .

Day of travel, I figured that I better get to the airport early. I was running a little late, then some unexpected traffic. I was figuring on a 1 hour cutoff for int'l check-in, even though I have been told that it's 1 hour for PIT/CDG, for example, but, PIT/MSP/AMS is 30 minutes. . . .

So, I arrived at the ticket counter at about T-1:15~. I told the TA to expect some issue. NOTHING! ZIP! NADA! He checked me in with ABSOLUTELY no issue, and even checked my bag thru to TXL with a 23 hour overnite in AMS!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davetravels
When I flew to Berlin in August, I couldn't check-in online. I tried everything. . . . App. . . . 2 different browsers. . . . Called the DM line - they couldn't see anything wrong . . . . Web support couldn't see anything . . . .

Day of travel, I figured that I better get to the airport early. I was running a little late, then some unexpected traffic. I was figuring on a 1 hour cutoff for int'l check-in, even though I have been told that it's 1 hour for PIT/CDG, for example, but, PIT/MSP/AMS is 30 minutes. . . .

So, I arrived at the ticket counter at about T-1:15~. I told the TA to expect some issue. NOTHING! ZIP! NADA! He checked me in with ABSOLUTELY no issue, and even checked my bag thru to TXL with a 23 hour overnite in AMS!
You have to be checked in 1hr before international flight. In your case, your first flight isnt international, and DL like most airlines check you in for the connecting flights at the same time. Thus you where checked in hours ahead of the deadline for your international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.