Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The trick to loyalty programs is finding one which is loyal to you

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex

Delta has come through for me so many times over the last couple years as I faced a serious health emergency within the family. United blew it and I left them at 1mm and 1k, tired of nonsense.
I posted this on Linkedin (I guess blowing anonymity here).
Thought I would share.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trick...spock-articles
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
"I fly about 220,000 miles each year. Running a charity..."

"My absolute favorite hotel chain is Fairmont Hotels."

"The first two stays were at one of the more affordable Leelas..."

"In Dublin, my choice is the Marker Hotel."

"As a Luxury Hotels of the World member, I get free breakfasts and Internet. And they match the best online pricing which is important for our budget-sensitivity."

...and that's where my brain blew up.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by privacylawyer
Delta has come through for me so many times over the last couple years as I faced a serious health emergency within the family. United blew it and I left them at 1mm and 1k, tired of nonsense.
I posted this on Linkedin (I guess blowing anonymity here).
Thought I would share.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trick...spock-articles
Great article talking about loyalty. I hope United reads it.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:02 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
All of my travel is for fun, so, I ONLY travel on a very low budget. I typically stay at hotels like, Days Inns, Travelodges, etc. So, in comparison, when you say you travel on a budget, I guess The Wyndham Rewards program in the USA is similar to the international program . . . . .
Luxury Hotels of the World

That said . . . .
having a hotel that has your back when you need them
Where have we heard THIS before . . . .

All joking aside, as a Delta Diamond - particularly, as a VERY low spend DM, Delta has TRULY "had my back" numerous times in the last couple of years. . . .

When I had surgery for a broken leg, I had to cancel several trips, etc, and I NEVER had a change fee assessed, and the same on other similar issues, that really didn't even qualify for special treatment, IMO. Other thingz, too, but, I really don't want to publicize "unpublished benefits" that I may have gotten in "special" circumstances.

As a result, I really don't look anywhere but Delta! The exception being, of course, when I want to go to Chicago. When DL is $120 with a 2-segment connection, and Frontier is $28 and SW is $39 for a nonstop, it's a no brainer! But, DL, of course, can't sell flights that cheap!

My only other thought is, that . . . .

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
The OP doesn't really mention what, exactly, UA did <or didn't do> for her that caused the defect over to DL. Would LUV to hear more about that!

The story is a nice read! Thanx!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
I recently swapped out a trans-Atlantic flight for a steal in economy for an equally good steal on points (same fares of travel/airport)--the change fees approached what I actually paid for the tickets. When they were waived, I was ecstatic. I fly a ton for business and being able to hop on a business class flight for leisure with the spouse... I appreciate their waiver and it won me over
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75

"As a Luxury Hotels of the World member, I get free breakfasts and Internet. And they match the best online pricing which is important for our budget-sensitivity."

I would 100% agree with you. The article cited is one of the most tone deaf articles I have read in quite some time.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:13 pm

I certainly would not wish this person to be head of any charity I donated to!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:17 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
I certainly would not wish this person to be head of any charity I donated to!
seems pretty shallow
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

that said, the OP seems like self-promotion spam and doesn't have anything to do with delta.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
I have to say that I hope anyone contemplating donating to the charity OP works for reads it too - your donations go towards stays at the Fairmont Hotel and other luxury brands around the world.

Pretty sure La Quintas and Hampton Inns have free internet and breakfast.

Originally Posted by pvn
that said, the OP seems like self-promotion spam and doesn't have anything to do with delta.
That was my thought as well - perhaps indirect self-promotion by the OP to get their name out there to get publicity and thus lead to more donations. After all those nights at the Fairmont cut into that tight travel budget.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:50 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I have to say that I hope anyone contemplating donating to the charity OP works for reads it too - your donations go towards stays at the Fairmont Hotel and other luxury brands around the world.

That doesn't bother me too much. We don't know if the OP is any good at fundraising, or whatever activity she does for the charity. If she's top talent, then it may be worth the investment. Of course, it's also possible OP is just average at the job.

My company is generally pretty cheap but I've stayed in pretty expensive places from time to time when traveling with clients or when working particular events/conferences. I would hate for our investors to jump to conclusions just from an offhand mention that I was at the RC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.