Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Overhead bin space in F on CRJ900

My MSY-JFK leg of an intl itinery just got switched from mainline to a CRJ 900. We are in 2A and B and both have 20" roller bags (really 20" including wheels).

For various reasons, it is very important that we not check these bags. It's been years since I flew one of these and I hear this is a newer plane with larger overhead bins.

Will these bags fit in the overhead? If they don't let us on with them, will they really be gate checked or will they make us check them thru to LHR?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It will either fit in sideways or not at all on the C/D side. If the bags are wide or deep, they will be problematic and you will likely be asked to gate check them.

Several other existing threads on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ir-crj900.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...crj-900-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...crj-900-a.html
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Gate checked and retrieved at your CRJ900 arrival gate.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
If they fit, you will receive a bunch of scowls from those PAX who have gate checked their rollaboards and are looking to put a computer bag in the OH.

Two 20" rollaboards will occupy a significant fraction of the total available OH space.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Marylou
My MSY-JFK leg of an intl itinery just got switched from mainline to a CRJ 900. We are in 2A and B and both have 20" roller bags (really 20" including wheels).

For various reasons, it is very important that we not check these bags. It's been years since I flew one of these and I hear this is a newer plane with larger overhead bins.

Will these bags fit in the overhead? If they don't let us on with them, will they really be gate checked or will they make us check them thru to LHR?
You do realize, don't you, that 2A and 2B are across the aisle from each other on the CRJ-900? It's 1-2 seating in FC numbered as 1/2/3/4 A//B-C, so that there is no D seat in FC.

The A side has a tiny overhead cupboard (I wouldn't call it a bin) that can hold purses, coats, and small computer bags, especially if they are a bit flexible rather than hard and boxy. The B-C side has normal sized bins that do hold roller bags wheels out if they are of legal size and not overstuffed. IME the thickness of the bag is the binding constraint in these bins.

If you want to keep the bags with you, think about "pocketing" in the jetway any gate check tag that the GA gives you. Try to be among the first to board. Be sure to put any other items under the seat in front of you.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You do realize, don't you, that 2A and 2B are across the aisle from each other on the CRJ-900? It's 1-2 seating in FC numbered as 1/2/3/4 A//B-C, so that there is no D seat in FC.
My bad. It's 2 B&C. The bags are 8 1/2" deep, 9 if I stuff it. So the size is 20 x 14.5 x 8.5 and I know we put them in the overhead on a CRJ several years ago, just not sure which version it was.

Will definitely put any extras under the seats.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Marylou
My bad. It's 2 B&C. The bags are 8 1/2" deep, 9 if I stuff it. So the size is 20 x 14.5 x 8.5 and I know we put them in the overhead on a CRJ several years ago, just not sure which version it was.

Will definitely put any extras under the seats.
I travel on CRJ900 all the time. Overhead bins are very small. I always check my suitcase and soles have to gate check my rolling briefcase. My rolling briefcase is 17 x 11.5 x 15.5 inches and when filled with extra paperwork it's a no go.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I put my 20" roller in the OH every time on a CR9. Helps if you board early. They only seem to fit in F, the bins taper off in Y.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
I've always been able to finesse getting my 22' on when seated in first on a CRJ900. Be sure to board early and walk with confidence past the gate check agents. Go for the bins over the 2 seat side. The glove box bins on the other side are just that. Won't be wheels first, but as long as you're early to board, you'll have a good chance. No pink tag.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hate to be picky, but isn't it A//C-D? Or is the 700 lettered differently?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if your rollaboard bags don't fit in the B/C overhead bins they would be gate-checked to JFK, and you would collect them at the top of the T4 jetway

however, the change of operating carrier (mainline to regional affiliate) should allow you to change your itinerary without penalty if you can find suitable flights via ATL/DTW/MSP
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by azeckel
Hate to be picky, but isn't it A//C-D? Or is the 700 lettered differently?
It's been a long time since I was last on the CRJ-700. I don't remember much except that it was 9 FC, three rows of 1-2, with no FC lavatory. Also, the CRJ-700 seems to have an exit row with endless leg room, versus exit rows on the CRJ-200 that are almost indistinguishable from ordinary rows and might not be worth sitting so far back and deplaning last.

The CRJ-900s that I've been taken have seats A//B-C with normal sized bins on the BC side.

Is it possible that different Delta Connection carriers have somewhat different CRJ-900 interiors?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
all DL CR7s and CR9s (regardless of affiliate operator) are A//B-C in F: the -700s have three rows (9 seats) whereas the CR9s have four rows (12 seats)

let's please keep these discussions on track: the discussion of the exit rows in Y, and bringing up the CR2s, is completely irrelevant to OP's question about overhead bins in F on CR9s
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
all DL CR7s and CR9s (regardless of affiliate operator) are A//B-C in F: the -700s have three rows (9 seats) whereas the CR9s have four rows (12 seats)

let's please keep these discussions on track: the discussion of the exit rows in Y, and bringing up the CR2s, is completely irrelevant to OP's question about overhead bins in F on CR9s
Isn't any mention of the CRJ-700s also irrelevant here?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
It will fit.
-30-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.