Search

Delta Connection 5191. Ten Years Ago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta Connection 5191. Ten Years Ago

Delta Connection 5191 operated by Comair crashed while trying to take off out of Lexington, KY on a flight to Atlanta. The flight crew made a mistake and turned onto the wrong runway which was too short for the CRJ-200 to takeoff from. 49 of the 50 people onboard died in the accident. The only survivor was the first officer.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Delta Connection 5191 operated by Comair crashed while trying to take off out of Lexington, KY on a flight to Atlanta. The flight crew made a mistake and turned onto the wrong runway which was too short for the CRJ-200 to takeoff from. 49 of the 50 people onboard died in the accident. The only survivor was the first officer.
Dang. I vaguely remember that. Based in CVG, I took Comair as a UM quite frequently back then.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Yeah a friend of mine was flying SDF-CVG that morning and I'll always remember the fear I felt when I heard a Delta flight had crashed in Kentucky.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Hard to believe it's been that long. I was working in a dispatch center and as soon as we saw the wreckage location on overhead video from a helicopter, it wasn't hard to figure out that they'd tried to takeoff on RWY 26 (3500ft long, which was way too short for a fully loaded CRJ) instead of RWY 22 (7000ft). From what I recall from the time, the RWY lights on 26 weren't even on, which should have been a major red flag.

I just noticed today that 8/26 has been removed from airport diagrams. I wonder if they pulled it up or just closed it.

As with many accidents, there were many contributing factors, but I agree with the NTSB, this is primarily the pilot's fault.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I just noticed today that 8/26 has been removed from airport diagrams. I wonder if they pulled it up or just closed it.
It's been rebuilt and re-positioned as 9/27, eliminating the potentially confusing taxiway route to the runways.

Sadly it won't change flight 5191.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Comair 5191 Anniversary

I'm a little late with this but this past Saturday was the 10th anniversary of the Comair 5191 crash in Lexington, KY that killed 49 passengers and crew. I was living in Lexington at the time and had taken that Sunday morning flight to Atlanta many many times. Really hit home. Lexington is not a large city and many people had connections to its passengers. May all 49 sounds rest in piece.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Hard to believe it's been that long. I was working in a dispatch center and as soon as we saw the wreckage location on overhead video from a helicopter, it wasn't hard to figure out that they'd tried to takeoff on RWY 26 (3500ft long, which was way too short for a fully loaded CRJ) instead of RWY 22 (7000ft). From what I recall from the time, the RWY lights on 26 weren't even on, which should have been a major red flag.

As with many accidents, there were many contributing factors, but I agree with the NTSB, this is primarily the pilot's fault.
This accident was an example of confirmation bias... the captain simply interpreted all his cues to believe that he was on the proper 7000 foot runway for takeoff. Obviously, he never matched his directional gyro (compass) reading with the what it should have read had he been lined up on the intended runway. But he rolled down an unlit runway 30 minutes before dawn and actually passed through an intersection with the intended lit runway. Plus all kinds of distracting chatter about ono-essentail stuff violating the sterile cockpit rule.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:26 am

Such a tragic event for the people in Lexington. It seems that everyone knew someone who died.

Occasionally, good can come from bad and 5191, among other reasons, sunk COMAIR and its base in Cincinnati. Good for DL for letting it go.

I like the Cincinnati Airport, but the old COMAIR Terminal 3, or was it C?, was a pit.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/F...150472865.html
Old May 10, 2021, 8:51 pm

DL5191 was profiled on the new episode (season 16, episode 3) of "Air Disasters" on Smithsonian Channel. Interesting watch if you get that channel.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by The Situation
DL5191 was profiled on the new episode (season 16, episode 3) of "Air Disasters" on Smithsonian Channel. Interesting watch if you get that channel.
I have wondered for years why "Air Disasters" didn't have this one in their library. It'll be interesting to watch.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I get some Mayday episodes on The Weather Channel, but I haven't noticed one based on this flight.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Lived in Lexington during this crash. I took that flight many times on Sunday mornings to Atlanta to connect to LAX while i was a training manager for a company our west. Such a sad case of 100% human error.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I also lived in Lexington when this occurred. It got me to stop booking the 6AM to everywhere bank, something I still try to avoid at other small stations.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
This is not 15 years anniversary yet! The exact date is on August 27. You have wait for next few months.

Here's Wikipedia of Comair flight # 5191.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comair_Flight_5191

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.