China Airlines Award Ticket

Old Aug 26, 16, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
China Airlines Award Ticket

Does anybody know if it is possible to book a CI ticket in J from the US to Bangkok? I found both the TPAC and connecting of DL.com. However, the entire itinerary was not available.

Also, what is the minimum connection you recommend in TPE?
Old Aug 26, 16, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey View Post
Does anybody know if it is possible to book a CI ticket in J from the US to Bangkok? I found both the TPAC and connecting of DL.com. However, the entire itinerary was not available.

Also, what is the minimum connection you recommend in TPE?
try calling Delta. I just did a dummy booking, JFK - BKK post Oct 31 in J on award travel. Delta.com actually gave me 3 really decent options at great mileage amounts, all 160K RT. China Eastern through PVG, China Southern through CAN, and Korean through ICN but did not see an option for TPE
Old Aug 26, 16, 5:38 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
I just booked one-way DTW-PVG-BKK in J for Jan travel. 80k miles.

DL to PVG and One of the China airlines PVG-BKK.

Flying home on Cathay Pacific in First on an AA award ticket.
Old Aug 26, 16, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
forgot to mention, Korean, China Eastern and China Southern all offer brand new planes, 777-300's plus Korean also has the A380. All the 777's are brand new with 1-2-1 flat bed direct aisle access
Old Aug 26, 16, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Take China Southern. I was really impressed with them. Plus you don't have to pickup luggage when transferring at CAN unlike PVG. Ground handling, lounges, everything is just better. Flew them SYD-BKK through CAN. The CAN-BKK is on 737 but there's only 8 seats in First and they have plenty of room between seats. It was like what Domestic F used to be before the seats got moved together.
Also for some reason China Southern has more native English speakers then the others.
Old Aug 26, 16, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Depending on the US departure to TPE, (i.e. LAX) China Airlines aircraft can be the new 777-300ER with the new business class seats. They are awesome and the self serve bar is great.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ess-class-777/

I've always had above average to great service on CI.
Old Sep 19, 16, 9:43 am

I recently redeemed skymiles for a CI award from JFK through TPE to SE Asia with the same circumstances: individual legs showed up as available on DL.com, but the routing through TPE would NEVER show up searching origin-destination. First time I called I got nowhere, but through HUCA I found an awesome agent who was willing to search hard and ultimately found the itinerary I was looking for at low level award redemption.
Old Sep 19, 16, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phouston06 View Post
I recently redeemed skymiles for a CI award from JFK through TPE to SE Asia with the same circumstances: individual legs showed up as available on DL.com, but the routing through TPE would NEVER show up searching origin-destination. First time I called I got nowhere, but through HUCA I found an awesome agent who was willing to search hard and ultimately found the itinerary I was looking for at low level award redemption.
Partner awards are always low level. There's no other level for partners. As for routing, I've just started calling. If DL can't give me an award engine that can do what nwa.com could do 12 years ago, then it's their problem I'm wasting agents time.
Old Sep 19, 16, 2:43 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AB Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I booked this ticket in July. DL website won't let you book, but I was able to have the agent ticket it. SFO to TPE is on a new plane, service and food was really good, and the biz class cabin is beautiful.
Old Jan 12, 18, 1:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Does anyone know when China Airlines releases Award inventory?

Looking to book one way on CI to Asia in J for this summer and I'm struggling to find space on EF for the summer but I see a lot in the spring. I'm not familiar with US-Taiwan travel plans so maybe it's busy summer travel demand? Or could it be CI doesn't release award space until 3 months out or so?

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

EDIT: It actually looks like CI J Award inventory dries up on June 1st after very good availability through the spring.

Last edited by imaginaryhomeland; Jan 12, 18 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 13, 18, 10:48 am

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
bah, i figured it out. like Korean, China Airlines has alot of blackout dates for SkyMiles redemptions as per this TPG post: https://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/del...d-redemptions/

although the current Delta program rules page has nothing on blackout dates for China Airlines: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

but that must be it.
Old Jan 13, 18, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by imaginaryhomeland View Post
bah, i figured it out. like Korean, China Airlines has alot of blackout dates for SkyMiles redemptions as per this TPG post: https://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/del...d-redemptions/

although the current Delta program rules page has nothing on blackout dates for China Airlines: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

but that must be it.
There are no blackout dates for CI, though availability is not that great during the peak seasons. Remember that dullta.com is often unable to book connecting flights entirely, and when it does will often missprice it. If you want flights such as A-B-C, you need to search for A-B and B-C and then call to book. IF CI flights are N/A for A-B and B-C, then it is not available. But, if you are only searching for A-C, with CI esp. it almost surely will never show A-B-C connecting flights. You have to search segment by segment, then call to book. To get it to show for the agents (they are required to search origin to destination), they have to specify TPE connection and CI as the airline specifically, or else it won't show either. In short, you need to know the exact routing you want and segments availability, then call to book, and agents need to know how to do it also, as both dullta.com and DL res system will (of course by design) not show connecting flights for CI, unless airline and connecting airport are specified.
Old Jan 13, 18, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle

Looking to book one way on CI to Asia in J for this summer and I'm struggling to find space on EF for the summer but I see a lot in the spring. I'm not familiar with US-Taiwan travel plans so maybe it's busy summer travel demand?
Call Delta and check. I booked successfully this past December (around Christmas) with the Diamond Desk. She found availability while I was staring at a delta.com screen with supposedly nothing available.
Old Jan 13, 18, 10:45 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
I have LAX-TPE-SYD booked and I got it via the mobile app. It wasn't easy though.
Old Jan 14, 18, 12:09 am

Looking to book one way on CI to Asia in J for this summer and I'm struggling to find space on EF for the summer but I see a lot in the spring. I'm not familiar with US-Taiwan travel plans so maybe it's busy summer travel demand? Or could it be CI doesn't release award space until 3 months out or so?

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

EDIT: It actually looks like CI J Award inventory dries up on June 1st after very good availability through the spring.
I had to search TPE-US (JFK in my case) on Delta.com. Then I searched for BKK-TPE availability. Doing BKK-TPE-JFK all together broke the search. I called in once I had my flight numbers and it was a breeze.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: