DL iPhone inAPPtitude

Old Aug 26, 16, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
DL iPhone inAPPtitude

Situation: approaching ATL. GoGo has, for about the 47th consecutive time, refused to acknowledge me during my 90 minutes in flight.

At last, I am on the ground, where IT systems still work (most of the time.. as long as the emergency backup power cord is plugged in). Eager to check my arrival and connecting gates, I find the former but not the latter on my iPhone.

Later... deplaned, looking at the monitor at the arrival gate. Shows my connecting gate. Curious, I check the app. Still no information on connecting gate.

15 minutes later in the club: App. Still. Says. No. Information.

Why?
Old Aug 26, 16, 4:23 pm

At least the iPhone app does not crash. The Android version would crash often. It might work one day and constantly crash another.
Old Aug 26, 16, 5:17 pm

Location: Pretty much this, rinse repeat, rinse again?: Bloomington, MN (MSP) -> Port Orange, FL (DAB)
Programs: DL NRSA, HHonors Silver (Soon to be gold), Hotels.com Silver, National EC Exec, GE (FINALLY), CLEAR
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
Situation: approaching ATL. GoGo has, for about the 47th consecutive time, refused to acknowledge me during my 90 minutes in flight.

At last, I am on the ground, where IT systems still work (most of the time.. as long as the emergency backup power cord is plugged in). Eager to check my arrival and connecting gates, I find the former but not the latter on my iPhone.

Later... deplaned, looking at the monitor at the arrival gate. Shows my connecting gate. Curious, I check the app. Still no information on connecting gate.

Why?
The app can be a little iffy at points, were the departure boards of any use?

On a sidenote..

Originally Posted by Memo from Delta IT & Apple
Apple is urging iPhone users to update to the latest version of its mobile operating system, which fixes a critical security flaw.

The company released a patched version of its mobile software, iOS 9.3.5 on Thursday to address critical security vulnerabilities. If exploited correctly, those vulnerabilities allow unprecedented access to an iPhone and its contents.

The malware allows attackers to read every email, text message, calendar item, and file saved on the device; peruse photos and videos; listen in on phone calls; track the device's location; and remotely turn on its microphone and camera all without the phone owner ever knowing.

You can get the patch through a normal software update. To download the update, open "Settings," tap "General" and then tap "Software Update." After the update has been installed, the version will be "9.3.5."
Old Aug 26, 16, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
How long in between flights? Departure gates are not posted in the app until a certain time before departure. I don't know the exact threshold. This even though the monitors in the airport may display them.
Old Aug 27, 16, 6:59 am

True, and annoying (when you can click the inbound plane information and see the gate that plane is arriving into).

But like the OP, I just had one not show the gate even at boarding time. In fact, I got a push alert that said "DL flight XXX is now boarding at gate TBA" last week.
Old Aug 27, 16, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
How long in between flights? Departure gates are not posted in the app until a certain time before departure. I don't know the exact threshold. This even though the monitors in the airport may display them.
This time, I had a long layover.

But, I have had short connections when the info was not available, hence the interest in knowing what gate I needed to get to.

It is hard to envision a reason for not posting info on the app when that info has already been posted on the airport monitors. If the info is available, make it available through all conduits.
Old Aug 27, 16, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This time, I had a long layover.

But, I have had short connections when the info was not available, hence the interest in knowing what gate I needed to get to.

It is hard to envision a reason for not posting info on the app when that info has already been posted on the airport monitors. If the info is available, make it available through all conduits.
European airports tend to do the same thing on their monitors. The gate is not listed until X hours before departure (while the monitors in the lounges do show the information). Not sure of the reason - perhaps it's to prevent confusion if there are gate changes.
Old Aug 27, 16, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
I have found that by going to the "Flight Status" menu on the app, and searching for the relevant flight info., that the gate info is usually there before it shows up on the "Today" flights menu.
Old Aug 28, 16, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by audidudi View Post
I have found that by going to the "Flight Status" menu on the app, and searching for the relevant flight info., that the gate info is usually there before it shows up on the "Today" flights menu.
I have done that trick more than once but it is inconvenient. More often than not, FlightTrackPro with TripIt is the first app to update gate assignments.
Old Aug 28, 16, 7:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Why?
It must be nice to have lived until 2016 without ever running into a software bug before.
Old Aug 28, 16, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
I use Flighttrack PRO for quick access to the latest flight data.

The only thing I've found the Delta app to be consistently better at is ARRIVAL GATE (oh and waitlists since Flighttrack doesn't know anything about waitlists).

I'm so fed up with the crappy GoGo I have given up even trying to use it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: