Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Terminal 5 to TBiT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

LAX Terminal 5 to TBiT

I am planning to visit the new International Terminal when I fly down to LAX next Saturday as my Father and I are flying out of the TBIT on our way to Thailand in November

While we are not able to check out bags all the way through as we are on Delta and a separate Air China ticket I still wanted to do a Dry Run. On my return to SJC I am planning to arrive to LAX early and check my bags at Delta then walk to the TBIT to time it and to see where the Air China Ticket Counters are.

Then am I able to clear security at TBIT to use the connector back to Terminal 5? I want to see the new terminal or do I have to walk back to Terminal 5 to go to the TBIT?

I not only want to see where the lounges are in the TBIT I want to do some serious plane spotting of international flights and to see the new stores/restaurants etc.

Do any of you DL passengers go to the TBIT using the new connector? I can't wait to see the new terminal as there has not been an airside connector until recently.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:17 pm

At LAX you can clear security at any terminal with a valid boarding pass, not necessarily the terminal you're flying out of. So yes you can walk from T5 to TBIT, clear security, hang out and plane spot, then take the connector to T4 and then the tunnel to T5. Good luck and have fun! The new TBIT is gorgeous.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've done the walk from T5 to TBIT behind security; it took me probably 20 minutes and if you have the time, it is well worth it just to see all the planes. Have fun!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I am going to definitely check out the TBIT!!!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Lots of good restaurants in TBIT. My son flew out of there last weekend and was happy to have A Umami Burger before his flight. Enjoy your trip
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by danielonn
Then am I able to clear security at TBIT to use the connector back to Terminal 5? I want to see the new terminal or do I have to walk back to Terminal 5 to go to the TBIT?
One thing to keep in mind is that security at TBIT, particularly at peak times, can be pretty terrible. I don't know if DL SkyPriority will get you into the TBIT priority line...

The landside checkin counters are like any modern airport you've been to, and the 30 seconds you'll save the next time you pass through IMO aren't worth it. I'd clear security in T5 after dropping the bag with DL, then walk over airside to do the planespotting.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
All Star Alliance carriers use one checkin which is located at the end of TBIT by Terminal 3. The self service kiosks are for all *A carriers even. The lounge is located on Level six using the elevators. I was just there since Virgin Australia uses the lounge. One of the nicest lounges around. They'll even hand out tablets for use.

Note even if you have Precheck, there's no Precheck or Precheck lite at TBIT since no carriers there are part of the program.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:30 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I've done the walk from T5 to TBIT behind security; it took me probably 20 minutes and if you have the time, it is well worth it just to see all the planes. Have fun!
I did T6-TBIT (Qantas F Lounge) in 7 minutes earlier this month.

If you walk fast it won't take longer than 5mins.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The lounge is located on Level six using the elevators. I was just there since Virgin Australia uses the lounge. One of the nicest lounges around. They'll even hand out tablets for use.
And a sweet outdoor patio overlooking the gate-parked planes. Fire pit and everything. Check it out...
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by danielonn
Originally Posted by bennos
One thing to keep in mind is that security at TBIT, particularly at peak times, can be pretty terrible. I don't know if DL SkyPriority will get you into the TBIT priority line...

The landside checkin counters are like any modern airport you've been to, and the 30 seconds you'll save the next time you pass through IMO aren't worth it. I'd clear security in T5 after dropping the bag with DL, then walk over airside to do the planespotting.
I'm with danielonn, I like to check out (in advance) where I'm going (when I have a chance). To me, it would be worth the time to see exactly how check in is laid out at TBIT.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Note that a new TBIT security checkpoint opened a month or two ago, mainly designed for transit PAX, it can be used by any with a same day BP ex LAX.

After the transpac morning arrivals are cleared, it tends to be very quiet from then on.

It is located on the lower level at the Southern end of the TBIT arrivals concourse.

More here (from the AA forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27013258
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Note that a new TBIT security checkpoint opened a month or two ago, mainly designed for transit PAX, it can be used by any with a same day BP ex LAX.

After the transpac morning arrivals are cleared, it tends to be very quiet from then on.

It is located on the lower level at the Southern end of the TBIT arrivals concourse.

More here (from the AA forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27013258
Thanks for this tip.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
I'm with danielonn, I like to check out (in advance) where I'm going (when I have a chance). To me, it would be worth the time to see exactly how check in is laid out at TBIT.
I agree. In fact I am departing to Thailand on a Wednesday and this trip down to LA I will be returning on September 7th so I am going to try an emulate the process under the same conditions. Just like a scientific experiment. I may be a bit off on the timings but the rest will be the same. My plan of action is to first drop my suitcase at T5. Then I will go downstairs to the Baggage claim and find how am I going to go to the TBIT Checkin.

I will walk along the arrivals area and take the escalator up to Departures or the elevator by TBIT after T4.

I will gauge the Air China lines to see how it is. Our Delta flight arrives at 9:40 AM for a 2:20 Departure. On the return we arrive at 11:00 AM and leave at 4:15 to SJC so I hope the lines won't be long. Have I left enough time to transfer our bags from Delta to Air China, check in and security? On the return is this enough time for Customs and take our bags to Delta? We leave for Thailand on a Wednesday and return to LAX on Tuesday.

IF there is time leftover on the return to LAX from Thailand I will walk back to the TBIT after clearning security no point now waiting in T5.

One through security I will find the general gate areaTHa of Air China, how to get to Level 6 for the lounge etc.

Thanks for your tips.

Last edited by danielonn; Aug 27, 2016 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1
I did T6-TBIT (Qantas F Lounge) in 7 minutes earlier this month.

If you walk fast it won't take longer than 5mins.
I saw the lounge online and it looks nicer than the *A lounge am I right?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
All Star Alliance carriers use one checkin which is located at the end of TBIT by Terminal 3. The self service kiosks are for all *A carriers even. The louSnge is located on Level six using the elevators. I was just there since Virgin Australia uses the lounge. One of the nicest lounges around. They'll even hand out tablets for use.

Note even if you have Precheck, there's no Precheck or Precheck lite at TBIT since no carriers there are part of the program.
So the Air China counter is located by the South Security Checkpoint? Termial 3 is where Virgin America is so I know exactly what you mean.

I know about no Pre Check for international flights as the same is at SFO. Tis is why I am allowing 4 hours to checkin and clear security. Hence this is why I am doing the dry run.

Thanks to the helpful souls here on the DL forum its now going to be painless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.