Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using miles to upgrade on AF from W to O?

Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, DL Plat

I'm purchasing a ticket on Delta r/t from MCO-CDG, via ATL. AF is operating the ATL-CDG route. I'd like to purchase W (prem econ in separate cabin), and use miles to purchase upgrade to biz. I have researched and can't find something updated that tells me the best way to do this. I understand that there needs to be O class availability. Is there a way to find out? I can't seem to find it on the AF website either. I haven't purchased yet but there is plenty of W available on several flights. Departing Nov 8 and returning Nov 14. Any suggestions? Thank you!!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Call Delta and ask them to do the work for you
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well besides using a service like experyflyer to check inventory, you'd have to call up Delta and ask if there is upgrade space available on those flights.

If I recall, they need to check in the AF flight number, not the DL codeshare. From other reports, AF is typically pretty stingy with making these available for DL upgrades.

I did a quick check using expertflyer and there is no O available for your dates at the moment.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan

I did a quick check using expertflyer and there is no O available for your dates at the moment.
Thank you!! That was nice of you to check.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Upgrade inventory "O Class" on AF tends to be released a few days before the flight, depending on the flight load. If you waitlist the upgrade, it will only clear for the DL portion of the trip, but you need to call DL because it needs to be cleared manually. Also note that if you see in ExpertFlyer O=1, chances are DL will not see it at all. In my previous experiences, they were only able to see and confirm the upgrade if O =>2.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Upgrade inventory "O Class" on AF tends to be released a few days before the flight, depending on the flight load. If you waitlist the upgrade, it will only clear for the DL portion of the trip, but you need to call DL because it needs to be cleared manually. Also note that if you see in ExpertFlyer O=1, chances are DL will not see it at all. In my previous experiences, they were only able to see and confirm the upgrade if O =>2.
I'm not on ExpertFlyer so I can't check inventory, so I will call Delta a few days prior to see if O inventory has been released. And, can anyone confirm that it's about 15,000 miles to upgrade from W to O on AF? That is the last I've read/researched but I'm not sure if that has changed.

Thanks again for your help! It Is much appreciated.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-business.html

This thread and the older longer one might be of some interest - start at the end of the thread - if you are looking at a DL W fare with AF co-share flights.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd recommend calling or sending a tweet daily... it might be a pain in the butt, but you don't want to miss inventory opening up earlier for some reason.

EDIT: Update, apparently now I am seeing O=2 on the ATL-CDG AF689 segment. Call now and see if DL can see availability and get the upgrade processed.

Last edited by rylan; Aug 23, 2016 at 10:23 am
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BACH777
I'm not on ExpertFlyer so I can't check inventory,
Worth getting a membership for the time between now and your flight and creating the alert. Every time I got this upgrade it was because of EF notifying me that O became >0. Never wasted anytime and called DL to process the upgrade.

Some agents might have difficulties doing it because it often requires them to switch the DL flight number to the AF equivalent before processing the upgrade. Some know how to do it, some don't. Don't hesitate to hang up and call back.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
I'd recommend calling or sending a tweet daily... it might be a pain in the butt, but you don't want to miss inventory opening up earlier for some reason.

EDIT: Update, apparently now I am seeing O=2 on the ATL-CDG AF689 segment. Call now and see if DL can see availability and get the upgrade processed.
Thanks! Trying to get it now.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vgb2001
Worth getting a membership for the time between now and your flight and creating the alert. Every time I got this upgrade it was because of EF notifying me that O became >0. Never wasted anytime and called DL to process the upgrade.

Some agents might have difficulties doing it because it often requires them to switch the DL flight number to the AF equivalent before processing the upgrade. Some know how to do it, some don't. Don't hesitate to hang up and call back.
Thank you! You're right, it would be worth the membership for the time being. Honestly, I never thought to hang up and call back for a different agent. I didn't want to be rude but I will going forward. Very frustrating to talk to an agent who has no idea what they're doing. Appreciate the input.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BACH777
Thank you! You're right, it would be worth the membership for the time being. Honestly, I never thought to hang up and call back for a different agent. I didn't want to be rude but I will going forward. Very frustrating to talk to an agent who has no idea what they're doing. Appreciate the input.
You don't have to hang up in a rude way. I'm like you. SO, I just apologize and tell them something popped up, that I have to go and will call back. Then I call back immediately :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.