Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will I have Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse access?

Will I have Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse access?

Old May 2, 18, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marcworld View Post
Despite the posts above, I still can't figure out if I will be allowed into the JFK Virgin Clubhouse. Here's my details:

Diamond Medallion,
booked in Delta One (all Delta metal),
traveling JFK -> DTW -> LHR

Is anybody certain about this?
As DM you get access. Being in D1 also gets access. Doesn't matter that you connect in DTW.
Old May 3, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
That's what you think.

😠

Just got denied and, with argument ,got nowhere.
Old May 3, 18, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by marcworld View Post
That's what you think.

😠

Just got denied and, with argument ,got nowhere.
This didn't involve overnight at DTW did it? Otherwise you should get access. Nothing says you need to be flying nonstop from JFK. Just need to be flying DL/VS to UK. Sadly I've had more arguments with VS JFK Clubhouse then can count.
Old May 3, 18, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
This didn't involve overnight at DTW did it? Otherwise you should get access. Nothing says you need to be flying nonstop from JFK. Just need to be flying DL/VS to UK. Sadly I've had more arguments with VS JFK Clubhouse then can count.
The webpage on the partnership actually says you have access to Clubhouses when you are ticketed on a non-stop flight to the UK, not merely going to the UK; the phrasing is a bit weird but I canít think of any purpose other than to exclude these itineraries.
my guess is theyíve worked the numbers so the Clubhouse can handle the number of outbound flights from the airport itís located in. Those direct flights also tend to be more expensive itineraries which has to help with the economics.
Old May 3, 18, 11:55 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Specifically, it says "a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic". That would exclude itin's like JFK-AMS-LHR, but I would assume an itin that has a same-day DTW-LHR flight would qualify.
Old May 4, 18, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo View Post

The webpage on the partnership actually says you have access to Clubhouses when you are ticketed on a non-stop flight to the UK, not merely going to the UK; the phrasing is a bit weird but I canít think of any purpose other than to exclude these itineraries.
my guess is theyíve worked the numbers so the Clubhouse can handle the number of outbound flights from the airport itís located in. Those direct flights also tend to be more expensive itineraries which has to help with the economics.
As LBJ points out. You were on a nonstop DL or VS operated flight to/from UK. The wording means you don't get access when connecting in AMS or CDG to UK. The lounges other then JFK seem to get the rules correct. JFK just seems to not care.
Old May 4, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K, WN A-List
I wouldn't be surprised if they *intended* to limit access to people on a nonstop TATL *from that airport*, but just that whoever wrote/approved the wording didn't consider that it would also allow JFK-DTW-LHR.

(I also agree that, as written, it's pretty clear that JFK-DTW-LHR ought to qualify, but it may explain why the arguments occur, because the agents' minds might jump to the other interpretation even though it conflicts with the language)
Old May 10, 18, 5:20 pm

Well I contacted Delta directly, after the fact, and somebody just called me back and she insists that a connection to London, such as JFK->DTW->LHR is indeed *NOT* meant to have Virgin Clubhouse access, in JFK.

Their language about nonstops from North America to London is really misleading. What they really mean is, you can only get in with a JFK-LHR direct segment. I asked them to update their language to make it more clear. Let's see what happens.

In the meantime, the gatekeeper at the Virgin Clubhouse at JFK was NOT fooling around, she was pretty nasty in fact. Of course I was arguing with her about it. But while I was standing there, some other guy came over, with a JFK-Manchester flight, and they weren't going to let him in at all, and then her "favor" to the guy was to let him buy a day pass at $70, which he declined to do.

:: shrug ::

Of course, my JFK-DTW-LHR routing was to save a ton, it was half price compared to JFK-LHR nonstop, and as always, you get what you pay for.
Old Sep 18, 18, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta
I could not seem to find an answer for this - I am a Delta Gold medallion, and will be flying economy class on LHR-JFK-DCA, with LHR-JFK with VS and JFK-DCA with Delta. I know I will not get VS Clubhouse access in LHR as that is for DM and PM only, but will I get Clubhouse access at JFK? Delta language says access requires a same-day, non-stop transatlantic flight, which I do have. However, I will have completed my transatlantic flight before being able to use the JFK Clubhouse, and that's what makes it uncertain for me.

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:03 am

@DC_traveller - definitely definitely 1000% not.
Old Sep 20, 18, 2:22 pm

I have a LHR transfer question:

My wife and I are arriving at approx 8am on Swiss, then transferring to a virgin flight to LAX that departs at 13 the same day. What is the best use of our time/benefits? I am a PM and we're in premium on 006 (working on miles ug to upper class). Can we transfer airside from terminal to terminal, or do we have to exit security/clear customs(carrying on only)? It's my understanding from above that will have access to the virgin clubhouse?

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 18, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capjessop View Post

My wife and I are arriving at approx 8am on Swiss, then transferring to a virgin flight to LAX that departs at 13 the same day. What is the best use of our time/benefits? I am a PM and we're in premium on 006 (working on miles ug to upper class). Can we transfer airside from terminal to terminal, or do we have to exit security/clear customs(carrying on only)? It's my understanding from above that will have access to the virgin clubhouse?
There is an airside transfer at LHR - just follow "Flight Connections" signs upon arrival. I think you still have to take a bus from T2 to T3, but it should be short. I think you'll have to clear security again as well. If you are not able to get your VS boarding pass either online or from LX, there should be airline transfer desks in the Flight Connections Centre. I would at least have a printed itinerary showing your VS flight because I think the transfer desks were after security, and they may want proof of onward travel. Not 100% sure on this.

You will have access to the Clubhouse as a DL Platinum. It's a fantastic lounge. If I had to spend 4+ hours in a lounge anywhere, this one is near the top of the list. Food is great (they have a "deli" counter for fast-ish food, and also waiter service at the tables). Drinks are great. You also may have time for a treatment (e.g., massage, haircut, etc.). Not sure if you can sign up in advance as a DL Platinum.
capjessop likes this.
Old Sep 20, 18, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by capjessop View Post

Thanks!
I believe you arrive at T2. Regardless, you'll follow the signs for connections. An airside bus will take you to T3. There you reclear security. OLCI with VS will give a BP, otherwise you can collect from the VS transfer desk after security check. Don't worry unlike entering from the street they won't require you to have the BP for VS to clear security.
capjessop likes this.
Old Sep 20, 18, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DC_traveller View Post
I could not seem to find an answer for this - I am a Delta Gold medallion, and will be flying economy class on LHR-JFK-DCA, with LHR-JFK with VS and JFK-DCA with Delta. I know I will not get VS Clubhouse access in LHR as that is for DM and PM only, but will I get Clubhouse access at JFK? Delta language says access requires a same-day, non-stop transatlantic flight, which I do have. However, I will have completed my transatlantic flight before being able to use the JFK Clubhouse, and that's what makes it uncertain for me.

Thanks!
Yes you qualify. Be prepared for pushback, as I find the agents give DMs flack. It's like they don't feel we should be allowed to mingle with VS customers.

A GM gets access to US Clubhouses when connecting to or from a UK TATL flight.
DC_traveller likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM
Iím pretty sure I know the answer, but wanted to double check.

If Iím flying VS JFK-LHR-JNB roundtrip in PE as a DL PM, Iím only able to use the lounge in JFK on the outbound and LHR on the return, correct? No use of LHR on the outbound (bc itís not transatlantic) nor JNB on the return (bc itís not listed as a qualifying airport).

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: