Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Meals and Alchol on Honolulu Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum

http://news.delta.com/complimentary-...nolulu-flights

Nice addition.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gator21
It would be nice to add complimentary meals to the other islands as well.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Delta seems to be really focused on inflight service on those routes. Kudos to them. Adding value for the flyer is a good thing even when limited in scope.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It would be nice to add complimentary meals to the other islands as well.
Of course it would be nice to have it on all flights. However the other islands don't have flights at 9+hrs long.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Of course it would be nice to have it on all flights. However the other islands don't have flights at 9+hrs long.
Agreed, the west-coast to Hawaii flights don't really need different service than transcons which are a similar length. But the HNL flights from the Midwest and East coast were far too long to go without a meal. Kudos to Delta, this isn't a cheap move but it is the right one.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:53 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...aul-hnl-3.html
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all about competition, not capability.

Y meals were abandoned on domestic flights because market research showed the US consumers steadfastly booked based on price and search engines generally sort by price. Thus, if a carrier can knock $2 off a ticket, its fare shows up ahead of the next carrier and people book the cheaper fare.

For whatever reason, the same is not true flying in the other direction. Thus, ATL-LHR gets you 2 meals in Y, while ATL-SFO/LAX gets you 0. I presume that most people eat something on the TCON's, whether they buy it onboard or bring it with them.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I fly to Hawaii at least 4 times per year, most of the time to OGG, but some times into HNL.

I can't think of a single time in my memory that I haven't gotten a meal included, and it doesn't matter if I flew from ATL (yes I used to take the ATL to OGG flight when they offered that more that 10 years ago), MSP, SLC, LAX, PDX, or SEA.

So the meal part seems like BS, the cocktails sounds like the only add to me. Although I have been upgraded almost 100% the time the past 5 years, so maybe DL did start charging for food or only offering snacks in Y on those flights. It doesn't match my memory though.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by mspreh
I can't think of a single time in my memory that I haven't gotten a meal included, and it doesn't matter if I flew from ATL (yes I used to take the ATL to OGG flight when they offered that more that 10 years ago), MSP, SLC, LAX, PDX, or SEA.
How would you have any memory about the meals in Economy if you just said you're always upgraded?
Complimentary meals have not been served on any of these routes by any of the major carriers in years.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
MOD MERGE:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...u-flights.html
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
How would you have any memory about the meals in Economy if you just said you're always upgraded?
Complimentary meals have not been served on any of these routes by any of the major carriers in years.
IIRC, DL was the last holdout to offer free meals on ATL/MSP-HNL until late 2012 or 2013. AA/UA discontinued their free meals for their DFW/ORD-HNL and EWR-HNL flights, respectively, around 2011, but DL held out until they eventually dropped it. AA reintroduced meals late last year or earlier this year, UA (I think?) followed suit, and DL is now back in the game.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I fly to Hawaii at least 4 times per year, most of the time to OGG, but some times into HNL.

So the meal part seems like BS, the cocktails sounds like the only add to me. Although I have been upgraded almost 100% the time the past 5 years, so maybe DL did start charging for food or only offering snacks in Y on those flights. It doesn't match my memory though.
Uh? DL/UA/AA have charged for meals in Y for basically as long as BoB has been around. There was a short period where they didn't charge, but that went the way of the Dodo bird quite a while back.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oke-s-you.html
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:36 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

"what are all these peons crying about? I always get fed up front?!"
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
Upgraded almost 100% the time the past 5 years, is what I said.

I do remember getting a meal in coach or Y in March of 2012 from HNL to MSP on DL. It was some type of spaghetti, some the worst I have ever had, my co-worker barley ate any, nor did I. I wished we would have eaten something on the layover in HNL from OGG that night. So if they stopped meal service, it had to have been after March of 2012. Even discussed it with him at lunch today. I remember the trip as it was the only time that Co-worker has ever been to Hawaii still, so figuring out when the trip was is pretty easy.

Take things out of context, and then question me by your lack of reading what I said.

Last edited by mspreh; Aug 17, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.