Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP service union plans a one day strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP service union plans a one day strike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don't believe SEIU is taking the most effective path toward their goals but am in agreement with the wage increase. These folks are at state minimum wage yet working and living at the economic center of the state, with a matching cost of living. Rent is surprisingly high in the metro area.

Immediate impact is a day of dirtier aircraft and possibly delays due to a shortage of wheelchair handlers. I suspect Delta is primarily outsourcing the potential liability for handling the disabled and not so much the costs so don't expect DL employees to backfill unless the situation is dire.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would assume that most of the employees from Somalia are Muslim and therefore aren't supposed to drink alcohol.
And the christians don't divorce, work on the sabbath, kill, steal, and the other ten commandment. Do you know muslims? Lots of them drink.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
And the christians don't divorce, work on the sabbath, kill, steal, and the other ten commandment. Do you know muslims? Lots of them drink.
Some Christians, but it depends somewhat on the particular denomination as well as how much they follow it strictly.

Yes, of course I know some Muslims, although I don't personally know anyone from Somalia very well. Those who are religious do not drink and generally if they're strictly religious, they're not supposed to smoke either. If they're fairly strictly religious, there are rules too about being along with someone of the opposite sex who isn't a family member. OTOH I also know a number of Muslims who do drink, don't dress modestly, do smoke a lot, and do live with someone of the opposite sex who isn't a spouse or family member, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Zorak
You didn't quite say, but imply, that the phil/psych/Russian majors were working with you in software... did they go directly out of those majors into a high tech career? Or did they take subsequent courses/training?
The philosophy major later took courses at Control Data Institute.

The others mostly learned from a course or two in college and part-time jobs that led to other things. Many of us worked with the PLATO system (CDC mainframes) at UIUC in the 70's. If you were hired for system applications programming (not assembly language) but could learn the assembly language, your keys also opened the machine room doors and you had access to the consoles after 10 p.m.

Originally Posted by Zorak
Were the physicians in your Greek class also classics majors? Did they go from Classics directly into med school?
One was a pre-med student, don't know what his actual major was (was not Classics). The other I didn't learn had become a physician until many years later.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am really enjoying this back and forth. It is really making me think. at 47 years old, I thought i was pretty set in my ways, but it is making me think.

Thank you all!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Individuals exist in a larger society. Can we paint all americans/christians in the same brush stroke. In many ways yes.. in many ways no. This is the danger of the polarity that is occurring around the world. We are all working on trying raise our families, take care of our needs, and not...for Fu$*s sake put our dirty feet on the armrest of the seat in front of us.. and don't poach a seat.. Other than that, let's not be D!ck$.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:53 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
IBTL.
+1
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mspreh
You are the norm! 90% of people with a Bachelors degree don't work in their field of study for more than 6 months in their entire life. I have also read that the number climbs to 95% if you go to 2 years or less. Half never work one day in anything related to their field of study, yes even related.

Just read a report from ADP last week about this issue. So I am taking their numbers: In 1990 45% of the jobs or careers that paid $55,000 per year or more that didn't require a Bachelors degree, now require it, yet the descriptions associated with them are require no new skills other than basic computer skills that are taught before 8th grade now. Additionally those jobs when compared to inflation those jobs are actually paying 35% less than they were in 1990.

Another great source on this type of subject is the documentary "The Ivory Tower".
Honestly, all a college degree proves is that you are able to graduate from a college or university.

That typically correlates with a willingness to learn, critical thinking skills, and (to some extent) communication/writing ability. And those three things are pretty much required for a person to succeed in a higher-paying job - most of the day to day or technical skills can be taught to such a person without too many problems.

Many businesses use possession of a degree to filter out people who don't fit that description - but of course there are always exceptions to that. I know plenty of people who graduated from college who I wouldn't hire, and I know people without degrees that I would hire in a heartbeat. But for businesses that get thousands of resumes for a single position, I can understand using a degree as a short-cut for screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.