FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   All suite business class in 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1785016-all-suite-business-class-2017-a.html)

jimrpa Aug 17, 16 7:16 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 27076038)
Wow, AusBT with the scoop and new photos!

Did they just take the wind out of QR's sails? Can't imagine the QR Super J seats being that much better.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-air-li...n=home-flipper

While these look nice, they do look very utilitarian. There are no embellishments or flourishes that say "luxury". For example, one of my cars is a Ford Focus Titanium. A very nice, well-equipped car, that is functional and comfortable. Nobody would ever confuse it for luxurious though. The interior reminds me of a nice VW Tiguan versus a Porsche Cayenne to put it into DL terms. Same car, one just has more wood trim and nicer leather trim and lighting details.

Perhaps Delta could give the cabin designers a "surprise and delight Porsche ride" :D

3Cforme Aug 17, 16 7:29 am

Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy (Post 27076346)
Other way around: eight 77Es and ten 77Ls

The ones scheduled to arrive in a little over 3yrs.

Your 777 - 77L correction is duly acknowledged.

Delta has prominently disclosed 739 substitution rights for those 18 787s on order. We'll see if any 787s start flying with Delta in 2020.

Global macro factors are going to be as important as 359/339 performance, pilot contracts, and international JV flying.

pvn Aug 17, 16 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27077316)
While these look nice, they do look very utilitarian. There are no embellishments or flourishes that say "luxury". For example, one of my cars is a Ford Focus Titanium. A very nice, well-equipped car, that is functional and comfortable. Nobody would ever confuse it for luxurious though. The interior reminds me of a nice VW Tiguan versus a Porsche Cayenne to put it into DL terms. Same car, one just has more wood trim and nicer leather trim and lighting details.

Perhaps Delta could give the cabin designers a "surprise and delight Porsche ride" :D

It's business class, not international F, and it's a freaking mock-up animation. I mean, I know there are a lot of delicate snowflakes in this forum but a lot of people are really frowny today because there isn't enough burled walnut, the struggle is real, folks.

akcae Aug 17, 16 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27077291)
I keep praying that they'll convert the A350 orders to 787s :D hope springs eternal :D

Ha, that would be a feat.

KDCAflyer Aug 17, 16 8:44 am

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 27077631)
Ha, that would be a feat.

Why? The A350 is the better aircraft by many measures. It has a longer range, and is wider. The 787 is terrible in 9 across economy, and the lack of window shades is rather ridiculous.

DiverDave Aug 17, 16 8:51 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27077316)

I wonder how much floor space the new seats occupy vice the current D1 seats on the 777, 330, and even the 763.

David

rylan Aug 17, 16 9:24 am

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 27077744)
Why? The A350 is the better aircraft by many measures. It has a longer range, and is wider. The 787 is terrible in 9 across economy, and the lack of window shades is rather ridiculous.

The Gen2 darkening windows which are shipping on current 787s are substantially darker than the initial version, which was definitely a joke and did not block nearly enough light for sleeping. According to the supplier, the Gen2 are 10x darker than the first version.

https://i2.wp.com/www.runwaygirlnetw...82%2C300&ssl=1

jimrpa Aug 17, 16 9:48 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 27077408)
It's business class, not international F, and it's a freaking mock-up animation. I mean, I know there are a lot of delicate snowflakes in this forum but a lot of people are really frowny today because there isn't enough burled walnut, the struggle is real, folks.

Right, I forgot, commercial rendering software hasn't advanced since the 1980s :rolleyes:

(see almost ANY movie made in the 21st century)

jimrpa Aug 17, 16 9:53 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 27077776)
I wonder how much floor space the new seats occupy vice the current D1 seats on the 777, 330, and even the 763.

David

Likely, approximately the same footprint. Remember, it's a 1-2-1 configuration. It looks similar to the 763 seat with a footwell, as opposed to the 777 or A330 seats with ottomans. That implies that perhaps the width is slightly wider than the 763 seats, but the length is just a bit more (I think they said a 78" bed?)

To me, the door seems a bit of a "me too" gimmick. If they were offering "cabins", that would be a different story, but I'm not sure the value of what appears to be a 4-foot high door that will have to remain open during meal services, takeoff and landing (i.e. about 40% of the flight).

Agremeister Aug 17, 16 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27078064)
Right, I forgot, commercial rendering software hasn't advanced since the 1980s :rolleyes:

Not sure where the Utilitarian idea is coming from, this image makes it look much less utilitarian than anything DL currently offer:

http://news.delta.com/sites/default/..._CAM22_NYT.jpg

Its certainly not as glitzy as an Emirates First Class suite, but frankly why would you want it to look like that?

jimrpa Aug 17, 16 9:56 am

Originally Posted by hard8 (Post 27075787)
So... with the new and refurbished 777s and new D1 Suites, will there be 3-4-3 in the Main Cabin?

Why? That would be silly.

jimrpa Aug 17, 16 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Agremeister (Post 27078100)
Not sure where the Utilitarian idea is coming from, this image makes it look much less utilitarian than anything DL currently offer:

http://news.delta.com/sites/default/..._CAM22_NYT.jpg

Its certainly not as glitzy as an Emirates First Class suite, but frankly why would you want it to look like that?

I WOULDN'T want it to look ANYTHING like an Emirates suite - YUCK - that screams nouveau riche! However, there is a concept of tasteful, refined understood elegance. I'd point to automotive interiors as an example. Audi? Note that the current trend in modern luxury autos is actually away from covering every hard surface in wood, and towards using a mix of materials, such as nickel, carbon fiber, and so on. I'm not saying delta needs to use satin nickel and carbon fiber obviously, but something other than just an endless sea of beige hard plastic would be nice. And I'm not even a design-type guy.

akcae Aug 17, 16 10:11 am

Can DL convert orders committed to Airbus to orders going to its competitor Boeing?? :confused:

Pretty sure Airbus wouldn't say, oh sure, just buy from our competition instead.

pvn Aug 17, 16 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27078064)

It doesn't have anything to do with the software, it's just pointing out that the final finishes are probably not decided yet. Cosmetics can be changed much later in the process than things like the floorplan.

bubbashow Aug 17, 16 10:30 am

The 787 is terrible in 9 across economy.

THIS!

Hop on an AA between ORD and DFW or LAX...just try it in Y. HORRIBLE. Literally the worst coach seating I have ever experienced.