FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   All suite business class in 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1785016-all-suite-business-class-2017-a.html)

RaflW Aug 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Robbyb03 (Post 27074995)
Two things that could significantly improve D1 service are keeping the cabin temperature cooler (76 degrees is not cooler, I'm talking like 68-70 degrees) and replacing the seats with some that don't retain heat. Hell, my vehicle has heated and cooled seats, why can't Delta One?!?

I rented a car recently with cooled seats (heated I've had on some cars since the 80s). I loved it. I like it much cooler than whatever 'average pax' the airlines think it should be set for. Mixing fora here, but I flew AA to GIG and given the MIA based crew and probably >50% non-US pax on board, it was terribly stuffy for sleeping (I also didn't like the fwd/back alternating J cabin, but for the fare I paid, I really shouldn't complain). If I ever do a similar flt again I'm bringing my USB powered table fan!!

Anyway, cooled seats would be an excellent product upgrade for J cabins.

GUWonder Aug 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 27073118)
The Vantage XL seat for the A350/777 is about four inches wider than the 767 Vantage seat. This doesn't include additional storage space.

3.X inches, or 4.X inches? And wider at which comparable point between the two kinds of Vantage seats?

The coffin-like feeling gets somewhat alleviated with four more inches of space at some of the right spots.

The "door" partition should be helpful for me getting marginally better rest on DL flights, so that's a nice feature.

radiowell Aug 16, 2016 5:43 pm

All these discussions about the door brings back the memory of this timeless classic...

Girl 1: They changed Malibu Stacy!

Girl 2: She is better than ever!

Lisa: Wait! Don't be fooled. She's just a regular Malibu Stacy with a stupid, cheap hat. She still embodies all the awful stereotypes she did before.

Smithers: But she's got a new hat!

**Stampede**

:D

lolstebbo Aug 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Agremeister (Post 27073849)
Looks (albeit it is hard to see) very similar to the seats Cathay Pacific use in PE, which is actually 7 abreast on the A330, and I would imagine 7 abreast on the A350 as well.

Based on the 360, it looks like CX's new W seat, which is the same as what AA's going to be using.

Also based on the 360, it looks like DL will be matching CX in having 8-abreast W (the aisle in D1 lines up with that of the W cabin's) on the A350. Of the carriers with W cabins, it seems like only CI is doing 7-abreast so far (JL likely will too, given that seat width is one of their selling points and also given that they use the same seat as CI).

securesmaskfirst Aug 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Robbyb03 (Post 27074995)
I could care less about a door next to my individual seat. Two things that could significantly improve D1 service are keeping the cabin temperature cooler (76 degrees is not cooler, I'm talking like 68-70 degrees) and replacing the seats with some that don't retain heat. Hell, my vehicle has heated and cooled seats, why can't Delta One?!?

THANK YOU!
I run really hot. Others can always put on more clothes. I can only take off a certain amount to stay cool. I keep my home and hotels as low as they can go. I have even resorted to bringing along a USB fan on flights ,that many a menopausal FA have asked about, in lie flat seats. Then again if there is a door to the suite, I could just go Au Natural.

GUWonder Aug 16, 2016 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst (Post 27075222)
THANK YOU!
I run really hot. Others can always put on more clothes. I can only take off a certain amount to stay cool. I keep my home and hotels as low as they can go. I have even resorted to bringing along a USB fan on flights ,that many a menopausal FA have asked about, in lie flat seats. Then again if there is a door to the suite, I could just go Au Natural.

Standing in the aisle, people may still be able to check you out. I doubt that the door is so high as to obstruct much of the view from those normal-sized adults interested in looking in while standing.

AndyPatterson Aug 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Also, what about couples traveling together? Can they still chat across the center seats or across the aisle? Or do the partitions make that hard, even with the door open?

Bradhattan Aug 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 27072180)
I hate to say it but United's new Polaris offerings look nicer than this.

I have to agree.....looks a little Spartan......almost Amtrak-like. But with doors, I don't have to see anyone's feet spread out on either side of the monitor......getting tired of passing notes to the gross folks in the first row of the front cabin with feet on the bulkhead.

lamont2718 Aug 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 27072088)
I wonder if they're using the Thompson Vantage XL seats modified with a door?

Yes, they are.

Originally Posted by sky303 (Post 27074541)
I'm assuming no middle overhead bins in the 360 DL released of the cabin is just so we have a better visual idea of what the cabin looks like. Unless there really won't be middle OH bins?

There really won't be center overhead bins. QR (and possibly other airlines as well) have also done this with their A350.

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 27073564)
Adding more fuel to the rumor, I think the B6 A321 seats are Vantage (not XL) seats modified with a door?

Correct.

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 27075489)
Also, what about couples traveling together? Can they still chat across the center seats or across the aisle? Or do the partitions make that hard, even with the door open?

Center seats should remain the best option for couples since there are sliding privacy dividers that can be opened for travel companions and closed for solo travelers.

Bradhattan Aug 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 27072180)
I hate to say it but United's new Polaris offerings look nicer than this.

I have to agree.....looks a little Spartan......almost Amtrak-like. But with doors, I don't have to see anyone's feet spread out on either side of the monitor......getting tired of passing notes to the gross folks in the first row of the front cabin with feet on the bulkhead.

hard8 Aug 16, 2016 8:38 pm

So... with the new and refurbished 777s and new D1 Suites, will there be 3-4-3 in the Main Cabin?

dzflyer Aug 16, 2016 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan (Post 27075573)

Didnt you read the press release...delta said it would be just like flying on a personal jet. I feel like you dont believe them. On a postive note....I guess this will cut down the disguisting acts thread.:D

hard8 Aug 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by nichojo (Post 27072587)
They absolutely have to refit the existing triple-sevens, those seats are in a state of disrepair (the seat on my SYD-LAX flight on Saturday had to be pushed back to go flat and had a broken USB port, light, and IFE).

That's pretty bad given Delta's focus on attracting and maintaining HVC and premium passengers. Is this due to lack of on-going maintenance on the seats or the seats being at the end of their projected life cycle?

Have any of the 777 D1 cabins been fitted with the new Delta One seat covers?

KDCAflyer Aug 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by hard8 (Post 27075800)
That's pretty bad given Delta's focus on attracting and maintaining HVC and premium passengers. Is this due to lack of on-going maintenance on the seats or the seats being at the end of their projected life cycle?

Have any of the 777 D1 cabins been fitted with the new Delta One seat covers?

The 777s get very little non-essential maintenance, since they are among the highest utilized planes in DL's fleet. None have D1 seat covers.

SJC ORD LDR Aug 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27074936)
More importantly, what ab out the 777s and 787s?

What 787s?

iluvdoco Aug 16, 2016 10:10 pm

Wow, AusBT with the scoop and new photos!

Did they just take the wind out of QR's sails? Can't imagine the QR Super J seats being that much better.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-air-li...n=home-flipper

N639DL Aug 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 27071864)
I'm very curious to find out if Delta intends to eventually roll the suites out to the A333/A339 and the 764s. The timeline for the A339s is delivery from 2019 forward, so they're a long ways away. And presumably the A333s are still half a decade or more away from an interior refresh. So they could just be sitting on the details — otherwise it represents a major shift in Delta strategy, where routes truly become isolated to plane type.

Whatever the case, I highly doubt any of the 763s will see suites.

34 763ERs were delivered in '96 or later. First 764 was 2000. Those will be around for a while and I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of modded J cabin (whether it be whole new seats or soft mods of the current product, like dividers or better padding).

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 27072057)
I think they needed to make an announcement now and get two bites of the cherry with a further big announcement - after last week they needed some good news.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by inthecloud (Post 27072069)
Based on the fleet plans to replace 747s with 350-900, and based on the fact that the article quotes that only flights over 12 hours will have the suite product, I wouldn't expect any 330 or 767 fleets to get this product.
Not only do these fleets fly shorter routes, but the width of the fuselage of the 777 and 359 are both 2-3 meters wider than the 767 and 330 fleets.

NYT article said primarily 12 hours or longer, not only.

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 27072534)
From this paragraph, it's clear that:
- Suites will be introduced on the A350 a/c coming into service next fall.
- Suites will not be retrofit to existing a/c Delta One cabins.
- NYT doesn't know the difference between 777s and 787s, as that paragraph references "new Boeing 777 plane" which DL has none on order, and then "18 Boeing 777 aircraft" which matches DL's current 787 order.

Elsewhere in the article, they mention the suites coming to a/c flying longer routes of over 12hrs, so that pretty much excludes any a/c flying US-EU routes. There will definitely be no suites on 767s, and I'd venture to say A330s or existing 777s.

Yes.
No, as DL said the 777 will get it.
Makes sense.

Originally Posted by Agremeister (Post 27072996)
I would think LAX-HND or LAX-PVG would almost certainly be the inaugural, and I would imagine that eventually every TPAC flight would have this product.

I imagine DL's plan is after replacing 747s with the A350, the rest of them would go to replacing A330s on TPAC routes, which would then be moved to TATL service to replace many of the 767s currently doing TATL service. Since the A330s have quite new D1 seats, this would constitute a product upgrade on those routes as well over the "coffin" seats on the 76.

As the 777s are also getting this new product, I doubt they get moved around too much. Perhaps some of the 777s currently doing Ex-NRT routes would again be moved onto current 747 routes freeing up A350s and A330s for lower demand routes.

I think the 350 will initially fly DTW-AMS to get crews familiarized with the aircraft before it starts flying long haul. Then eventually it will fly to Asia from DTW, expand to LAX-Asia/SYD.

MSPeconomist Aug 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan (Post 27075599)

Isn't the tradeoff that each door must consume about an inch and a half of width?

MSPeconomist Aug 16, 2016 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by N639DL (Post 27076117)
34 763ERs were delivered in '96 or later. First 764 was 2000. Those will be around for a while and I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of modded J cabin (whether it be whole new seats or soft mods of the current product, like dividers or better padding).

Agreed.

NYT article said primarily 12 hours or longer, not only.

Yes.
No, as DL said the 777 will get it.
Makes sense.

I think the 350 will initially fly DTW-AMS to get crews familiarized with the aircraft before it starts flying long haul. Then eventually it will fly to Asia from DTW, expand to LAX-Asia/SYD.

Most people would classify DTW-AMS as longhaul.

ConcordeBoy Aug 17, 2016 12:26 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 27072088)
I see they also mentioned 32 J seats. Would've thought they'd have more on the 350.

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 27072456)
Overall, I am a little surprised how small D1 cabins are now.

Why surprised? They're just likely paring them down to what sells.

Much as it sucks to say, the writing is on the wall: with the advent of true Premium economy, it's going to be hard as hell to do mileage upgrades (and probably even redemptions) into the new D1.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 27072600)
Delta happens to have 18 777s: 10 777-200ERs and 8 777-200LRs.

Other way around: eight 77Es and ten 77Ls

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 27075834)
What 787s?

The ones scheduled to arrive in a little over 3yrs.

spizzy Aug 17, 2016 12:58 am

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 27072743)
This looks really nice. Great job DL! ^

Agreed. Look forward to flying it and hopefully it is on the SYD-LAX run which would allow me to try them over Qantas Business Class.

spizzy Aug 17, 2016 1:08 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 27076038)
Did they just take the wind out of QR's sails? Can't imagine the QR Super J seats being that much better.

Agreed. Will be interesting when QR announce them in November to see just how much better they will be if any.

Agremeister Aug 17, 2016 2:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27076165)
Isn't the tradeoff that each door must consume about an inch and a half of width?

While that is a tradeoff, the Vantage XL is designed for the A330/A340 which has a slightly narrower cabin than the A350, so the extra width taken up by the door is really being taken from the aisles and not from the seats.

Originally Posted by hard8 (Post 27075787)
So... with the new and refurbished 777s and new D1 Suites, will there be 3-4-3 in the Main Cabin?

Certainly not on the A350, thats pretty much a guaranteed 3-3-3. On the 777 though I would be shocked if they didn't go 3-4-3 in economy, as both United and American are going that route.

rylan Aug 17, 2016 6:37 am

I'm kind of surprised there is no mention of the premium economy product yet either... you'd think that would be announced along with the D1 seating since they must've selected the W seats and overall configuration by now for the 350.
Its 1-2-1 for D1 and pretty certain 3-3-3 for C-, but what about W? 2-3-2 or 2-4-2? Or is it just going to be C+ 3-3-3?

jimrpa Aug 17, 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 27075834)
What 787s?

I keep praying that they'll convert the A350 orders to 787s :D hope springs eternal :D

jimrpa Aug 17, 2016 7:16 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 27076038)
Wow, AusBT with the scoop and new photos!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-air-li...n=home-flipper

While these look nice, they do look very utilitarian. There are no embellishments or flourishes that say "luxury". For example, one of my cars is a Ford Focus Titanium. A very nice, well-equipped car, that is functional and comfortable. Nobody would ever confuse it for luxurious though. The interior reminds me of a nice VW Tiguan versus a Porsche Cayenne to put it into DL terms. Same car, one just has more wood trim and nicer leather trim and lighting details.

Perhaps Delta could give the cabin designers a "surprise and delight Porsche ride" :D

3Cforme Aug 17, 2016 7:29 am

Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy (Post 27076346)
Other way around: eight 77Es and ten 77Ls

The ones scheduled to arrive in a little over 3yrs.

Your 777 - 77L correction is duly acknowledged.

Delta has prominently disclosed 739 substitution rights for those 18 787s on order. We'll see if any 787s start flying with Delta in 2020.

Global macro factors are going to be as important as 359/339 performance, pilot contracts, and international JV flying.

pvn Aug 17, 2016 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27077316)
While these look nice, they do look very utilitarian. There are no embellishments or flourishes that say "luxury". For example, one of my cars is a Ford Focus Titanium. A very nice, well-equipped car, that is functional and comfortable. Nobody would ever confuse it for luxurious though. The interior reminds me of a nice VW Tiguan versus a Porsche Cayenne to put it into DL terms. Same car, one just has more wood trim and nicer leather trim and lighting details.

Perhaps Delta could give the cabin designers a "surprise and delight Porsche ride" :D

It's business class, not international F, and it's a freaking mock-up animation. I mean, I know there are a lot of delicate snowflakes in this forum but a lot of people are really frowny today because there isn't enough burled walnut, the struggle is real, folks.

akcae Aug 17, 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27077291)
I keep praying that they'll convert the A350 orders to 787s :D hope springs eternal :D

Ha, that would be a feat.

KDCAflyer Aug 17, 2016 8:44 am

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 27077631)
Ha, that would be a feat.

Why? The A350 is the better aircraft by many measures. It has a longer range, and is wider. The 787 is terrible in 9 across economy, and the lack of window shades is rather ridiculous.

DiverDave Aug 17, 2016 8:51 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27077316)

I wonder how much floor space the new seats occupy vice the current D1 seats on the 777, 330, and even the 763.

David

rylan Aug 17, 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 27077744)
Why? The A350 is the better aircraft by many measures. It has a longer range, and is wider. The 787 is terrible in 9 across economy, and the lack of window shades is rather ridiculous.

The Gen2 darkening windows which are shipping on current 787s are substantially darker than the initial version, which was definitely a joke and did not block nearly enough light for sleeping. According to the supplier, the Gen2 are 10x darker than the first version.

https://i2.wp.com/www.runwaygirlnetw...82%2C300&ssl=1

jimrpa Aug 17, 2016 9:48 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 27077408)
It's business class, not international F, and it's a freaking mock-up animation. I mean, I know there are a lot of delicate snowflakes in this forum but a lot of people are really frowny today because there isn't enough burled walnut, the struggle is real, folks.

Right, I forgot, commercial rendering software hasn't advanced since the 1980s :rolleyes:

(see almost ANY movie made in the 21st century)

jimrpa Aug 17, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 27077776)
I wonder how much floor space the new seats occupy vice the current D1 seats on the 777, 330, and even the 763.

David

Likely, approximately the same footprint. Remember, it's a 1-2-1 configuration. It looks similar to the 763 seat with a footwell, as opposed to the 777 or A330 seats with ottomans. That implies that perhaps the width is slightly wider than the 763 seats, but the length is just a bit more (I think they said a 78" bed?)

To me, the door seems a bit of a "me too" gimmick. If they were offering "cabins", that would be a different story, but I'm not sure the value of what appears to be a 4-foot high door that will have to remain open during meal services, takeoff and landing (i.e. about 40% of the flight).

Agremeister Aug 17, 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27078064)
Right, I forgot, commercial rendering software hasn't advanced since the 1980s :rolleyes:

Not sure where the Utilitarian idea is coming from, this image makes it look much less utilitarian than anything DL currently offer:

http://news.delta.com/sites/default/..._CAM22_NYT.jpg

Its certainly not as glitzy as an Emirates First Class suite, but frankly why would you want it to look like that?

jimrpa Aug 17, 2016 9:56 am

Originally Posted by hard8 (Post 27075787)

Why? That would be silly.

jimrpa Aug 17, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Agremeister (Post 27078100)
Not sure where the Utilitarian idea is coming from, this image makes it look much less utilitarian than anything DL currently offer:

http://news.delta.com/sites/default/..._CAM22_NYT.jpg

Its certainly not as glitzy as an Emirates First Class suite, but frankly why would you want it to look like that?

I WOULDN'T want it to look ANYTHING like an Emirates suite - YUCK - that screams nouveau riche! However, there is a concept of tasteful, refined understood elegance. I'd point to automotive interiors as an example. Audi? Note that the current trend in modern luxury autos is actually away from covering every hard surface in wood, and towards using a mix of materials, such as nickel, carbon fiber, and so on. I'm not saying delta needs to use satin nickel and carbon fiber obviously, but something other than just an endless sea of beige hard plastic would be nice. And I'm not even a design-type guy.

akcae Aug 17, 2016 10:11 am

Can DL convert orders committed to Airbus to orders going to its competitor Boeing?? :confused:

Pretty sure Airbus wouldn't say, oh sure, just buy from our competition instead.

pvn Aug 17, 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27078064)

It doesn't have anything to do with the software, it's just pointing out that the final finishes are probably not decided yet. Cosmetics can be changed much later in the process than things like the floorplan.

bubbashow Aug 17, 2016 10:30 am

The 787 is terrible in 9 across economy.

THIS!

Hop on an AA between ORD and DFW or LAX...just try it in Y. HORRIBLE. Literally the worst coach seating I have ever experienced.