FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   All suite business class in 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1785016-all-suite-business-class-2017-a.html)

Longboater Aug 24, 16 4:01 pm


Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 27113892)
Does anyone know what the range is on the 350s that DL will be receiving? Can they fly routes as long as, say, JFK-HKG?

Yeah, they will be receiving 268 tonne MTOW A350-900 which have a given range of 7,590 nm. But with an increase to 280 tonne MTOW, it'll have a range of 8,100 nm. I expect DL will resume DTW-HKG when enough are in the fleet, say 2019/2020.

TrojanTraveler Aug 25, 16 7:29 am


Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 27114331)
Yeah, they will be receiving 268 tonne MTOW A350-900 which have a given range of 7,590 nm. But with an increase to 280 tonne MTOW, it'll have a range of 8,100 nm. I expect DL will resume DTW-HKG when enough are in the fleet, say 2019/2020.

So the planes that can fly JFK-HKG, they won't get into service until 2019/2020?

Longboater Aug 25, 16 8:22 am


Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 27116878)
So the planes that can fly JFK-HKG, they won't get into service until 2019/2020?

Well, they will only be receiving 11 in 2017/2018. The first six will go ahead and replace the 747 on DTW-NRT/ICN/PVG.

meh130 Sep 6, 16 2:43 pm


Originally Posted by rylan (Post 27072088)
I wonder if they're using the Thompson Vantage XL seats modified with a door?

Taking a closer look, and the fact Factory Design is the design house behind Thompson Vantage XL, I think that is exactly what this is. A variant of the Vantage XL modified into a suite with a door.

This is actually very smart by Delta. It gives them differentiation (a suite) that takes up no more room than a high-end lie flat business class seat.

Gig103 Feb 2, 17 2:45 pm


Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 27117097)
Well, they will only be receiving 11 in 2017/2018. The first six will go ahead and replace the 747 on DTW-NRT/ICN/PVG.

Bumping an old thread - heading to PVG for a trip in spring 2018, has this DTW-PVG been nailed down or confirmed? To go PHX-DTW-PVG wouldn't be ideal, but for my first introduction to D1 I think a suite would be starting off with a bang!

KeepItReal Feb 2, 17 2:56 pm


Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 27856714)
Bumping an old thread - heading to PVG for a trip in spring 2018, has this DTW-PVG been nailed down or confirmed? To go PHX-DTW-PVG wouldn't be ideal, but for my first introduction to D1 I think a suite would be starting off with a bang!

tough call. Delta has only been on record saying that for the most part, the 350's are replacing the 747's. DTW-PVG for the most part is a 777 or a A330 so I would think not but who knows, nothing is certain yet. They are definitely going TPAC and the 747 TPAC routes are DTW-ICN/NRT and not sure of the other one.

gooselee Feb 2, 17 3:04 pm


Originally Posted by KeepItReal (Post 27856786)
tough call. Delta has only been on record saying that for the most part, the 350's are replacing the 747's. DTW-PVG for the most part is a 777 or a A330 so I would think not but who knows, nothing is certain yet. They are definitely going TPAC and the 747 TPAC routes are DTW-ICN/NRT and not sure of the other one.

DTW-PVG is a 747 route.

KeepItReal Feb 2, 17 3:06 pm


Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 27856840)
DTW-PVG is a 747 route.

Interesting in that I looked up the flight for this Sunday and its flown with a 777.

KeepItReal Feb 2, 17 3:08 pm

In fact, its a 777 at least up until March 1st.

javabytes Feb 2, 17 3:09 pm


Originally Posted by meh130 (Post 27174501)
Taking a closer look, and the fact Factory Design is the design house behind Thompson Vantage XL, I think that is exactly what this is. A variant of the Vantage XL modified into a suite with a door.

This is actually very smart by Delta. It gives them differentiation (a suite) that takes up no more room than a high-end lie flat business class seat.

Responding late, but this was confirmed a couple of weeks before your post: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/0...77-biz-suites/

A door is nice and all, but in keeping with Delta's tradition of being overly impressed with itself, I can't wait to see what they will do to fares (cash and award) once they've installed these seats. When I think of Suite, I think of SQ, JAL, EK, EY, etc. The reality is Delta has put some higher walls up around a flat bed business class seat (table stakes in today's competitive landscape)... which helps make it a nicer business class seat, but isn't transformative.

KeepItReal Feb 2, 17 3:13 pm


Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 27856871)
Responding late, but this was confirmed a couple of weeks before your post: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/0...77-biz-suites/

A door is nice and all, but in keeping with Delta's tradition of being overly impressed with itself, I can't wait to see what they will do to fares (cash and award) once they've installed these seats. When I think of Suite, I think of SQ, JAL, EK, EY, etc. The reality is Delta has put some higher walls up around a flat bed business class seat (table stakes in today's competitive landscape)... which helps make it a nicer business class seat, but isn't transformative.

Its a much wider, more spacious seat. Plus, by the looks of the design, you will get a much bigger footwell than what is found on the 767 Thompson seats. At any rate, I will withhold judgement until I actually fly in one. If I can help it, I will definitely make sure I am on the inaugural.

gooselee Feb 2, 17 3:16 pm


Originally Posted by KeepItReal (Post 27856865)
In fact, its a 777 at least up until March 1st.

Starting mid-March it goes back to 747, I believe through EOS. I also flew a 747 on that exact route recently.

But basically, I think DTW-PVG is indeed a candidate for an A350 route, though nobody knows for sure at this point exactly where DL will start deploying them.

ETA: Per the 747 wiki, the DTW-PVG downgrade is just for 12/16 through 3/24.

KeepItReal Feb 2, 17 3:19 pm


Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 27856916)
Starting mid-March it goes back to 747, I believe through EOS. I also flew a 747 on that exact route recently.

But basically, I think DTW-PVG is indeed a candidate for an A350 route, though nobody knows for sure at this point exactly where DL will start deploying them.

ETA: Per the 747 wiki, the DTW-PVG downgrade is just for 12/16 through 3/24.

That makes sense, I only checked a few random dates which showed all 777. I've even seen A330's on this route. Knowing what I know now, I would agree that dtw-pvg is a likely candidate for the A350. I can also see DL putting the 350 at LAX to gain the upper hand against AA and UA's LAX - PVG flights.

gooselee Feb 2, 17 3:25 pm


Originally Posted by KeepItReal (Post 27856901)
I will definitely make sure I am on the inaugural.

We're still thinking that DL will run the 350 on a few domestic routes to get crews used to it before it goes into regular int'l service, right? I might find that worth a weekend trip.

Longboater Feb 2, 17 3:47 pm


Originally Posted by KeepItReal (Post 27856952)
That makes sense, I only checked a few random dates which showed all 777. I've even seen A330's on this route. Knowing what I know now, I would agree that dtw-pvg is a likely candidate for the A350. I can also see DL putting the 350 at LAX to gain the upper hand against AA and UA's LAX - PVG flights.

The A330 cannot make DTW-PVG unless a good chunk of Y is blocked off. DTW-PVG has been flown either by a 77ER, 77L, or 747 since NWA started the route back in 2007. DTW-PVG should be going A350-900 towards the end of the year unless there are further A350-900 delays. I think LAX will be the next A350-900 base instead of SEA. The A330-900 NEO can fly SEA-Asia, even SEA-HKG. (Well based on expected performance. In fact, the A330-900 NEO is probably the more appropriate aircraft for SEA-AMS/CDG/NRT/ICN/PEK/PVG/HKG). With only five more A350s arriving next year, its possible a second A350 base won't open until 2019.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:23 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.