FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   All suite business class in 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1785016-all-suite-business-class-2017-a.html)

Agremeister Aug 17, 16 2:37 pm


Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27079631)
All the more reason for Delta NOT to do so. Where has Delta actually said that they're going to an actual 3-cabin configuration on their international aircraft? It would be difficult for them to introduce a true separate "Premium Economy" class, like many foreign carriers have, since many US companies which do allow international travel in classes other than coach have "one class above coach" rules, not "business class" rules. That means many business travelers are going to be stuck in the "premium economy" seats, not the profitable Delta One cabin (and that's why Delta and some other US airlines got rid of International First Class a long time ago).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...year/83903302/ right here.

pvn Aug 17, 16 2:44 pm

American has also announced true W on some international routes.

akcae Aug 17, 16 2:57 pm


Originally Posted by pvn (Post 27079718)
American has also announced true W on some international routes.

And hinted at domestic W on the last earnings call.

Madone59 Aug 17, 16 3:06 pm

WOW DL, these are some nice looking seats ^, they look far better than the new AA or UA products. It is good to see US airlines getting serious about their business class.

Agremeister Aug 17, 16 3:28 pm


Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 27079804)
WOW DL, these are some nice looking seats ^, they look far better than the new AA or UA products. It is good to see US airlines getting serious about their business class.

DL definitely not pulling any punches with the new product, but I can't deny that the new AA and UA products look pretty good as well.

bennos Aug 17, 16 4:10 pm


Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27078892)
Actually, the would be even friendlier if the center seats were staggered in such a way that every other row were "together" and the divider between the seats could be completely dropped creating a "double".

The problem with that is that you then effectively only have 5 or 6 pairs of seats that can accommodates couples, as in the alternate rows the seats would be too far apart with two consoles between them.

JohnnyRockets Aug 17, 16 8:14 pm

With UA's recent Polaris news, I thought I should give UA a chance after they understand 2-4-2 is nowhere premium. I guess I don't need to give UA a chance anymore. :D

djjaguar64 Aug 18, 16 6:59 am

Sorry to burst your bubble Delta, this ain't gonna work until there is a culture change at all N. American airlines. The positive service attitude has to come with the repackaging of the beast.

ijgordon Aug 18, 16 11:35 am


Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 27082470)
Sorry to burst your bubble Delta, this ain't gonna work until there is a culture change at all N. American airlines. The positive service attitude has to come with the repackaging of the beast.

Eh, I think most business travelers -- the ones paying the bills -- prefer more about comfort/productivity (their ability to sleep and work) than whether the FAs have smiles on their faces. Catering probably falls in the middle, and that's primarily a function of how much the airline wants to spend.

Does a silly door on the seat meaningfully improve comfort or productivity? I argue "no", but I'm sure it has the folks in marketing salivating.

DCAproducer Aug 18, 16 11:54 am

Delta's soft product in J is inconsistent. If they can improve this they will have a more competitive J product with other airlines.

I'm on a D1 flight right now with probably one of the best FA teams I've ever experienced. Very friendly. Very attentive.

With that said the meal service is a step above domestic F. I'm not sure why it bugs me, but the little plastic salt/pepper shakers stand out as a symbol of the average product.

EditingFX Aug 18, 16 11:55 am

A full-height door...

How is a door you can likely rest your arms on top of considered "full-height"?

Sort of busts the idea of fun at altitude. Maybe steal an idea from crew rest seats & have a ceiling-mounted curtain?

Speaking of crew rest - will the new crew rest seats have bunk beds? :D With a door. Which won't do much for the top bunk. But rank hath it's privileges...

jimrpa Aug 18, 16 12:08 pm


Originally Posted by bennos (Post 27080084)
The problem with that is that you then effectively only have 5 or 6 pairs of seats that can accommodates couples, as in the alternate rows the seats would be too far apart with two consoles between them.

Well, wouldn't 5-6 pairs of seats together be better than the current situation, which is no pairs of seats together? Keep in mind, I don't really "get" all this requirement for "togetherness" that people here seem to demand, but I'm just trying to suggest ways that Delta could accommodate it, that's all.

jimrpa Aug 18, 16 12:17 pm


Originally Posted by Agremeister (Post 27079688)

Ok, so the text says that the "cabin" is designed to appeal to customers who's companies won't pay for international business class. It also shows pictures of SQ's new Premium Economy seats. I'm not sure how many people remember what business class seats from the 1980s-1990s look like, but here's a hint: The Air France Business Class product of the era was called l'Espace 127 and the marketing claim was that it offered a full 127 degrees of recline which, supposedly, NASA studies showed, was the ideal recline for sleep. The SQ seat looks like it's at about the same angle as the old AF business class seat.

So, we're going back to the old model with different names - International First Class has become Delta One, International Business Class has become Premium Economy and Coach has become Main Cabin Experience.

Welcome to the Brave New World of the 21st Century :D

tuolumne Aug 18, 16 1:02 pm


Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 27077316)
While these look nice, they do look very utilitarian. There are no embellishments or flourishes that say "luxury". For example, one of my cars is a Ford Focus Titanium. A very nice, well-equipped car, that is functional and comfortable. Nobody would ever confuse it for luxurious though. The interior reminds me of a nice VW Tiguan versus a Porsche Cayenne to put it into DL terms. Same car, one just has more wood trim and nicer leather trim and lighting details.

Perhaps Delta could give the cabin designers a "surprise and delight Porsche ride" :D

You would mean the Volkswagen Touareg, the Tiguan is based on the last gen Golf PQ36 platform, dating back to 2004. T-Reg shares its architecture, and some powertrains, with the Porsche Cayenne. It's built in the same factory in the Czech Republic. Also, the Touareg is indeed luxurious inside - high grad leather, real wood trim, and metal brightwork. In many ways it's more traditional luxury than the Cayenne. BOTH are scheduled to follow the new Bentley Bentayga and Audi Q7 onto VW Group's new highly-regarded MLB Evo modular architecture in the not too distant future.

But this is FT, so I digress.

I hope DL budgets more to industrial design and surfacing materials. The current D1 seats are bargain basement and design.

jimrpa Aug 18, 16 4:58 pm


Originally Posted by tuolumne (Post 27084460)
You would mean the Volkswagen Touareg, the Tiguan is based on the last gen Golf PQ36 platform, dating back to 2004. T-Reg shares its architecture, and some powertrains, with the Porsche Cayenne. It's built in the same factory in the Czech Republic. Also, the Touareg is indeed luxurious inside - high grad leather, real wood trim, and metal brightwork. In many ways it's more traditional luxury than the Cayenne. BOTH are scheduled to follow the new Bentley Bentayga and Audi Q7 onto VW Group's new highly-regarded MLB Evo modular architecture in the not too distant future.

But this is FT, so I digress.

I hope DL budgets more to industrial design and surfacing materials. The current D1 seats are bargain basement and design.

Thank you! VW Group isn't my strong suit obviously. Happily, you caught my drift!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:10 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.