FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Destinations lost since DL/NW merger (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1784416-destinations-lost-since-dl-nw-merger.html)

jrkmsp Aug 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Destinations lost since DL/NW merger

With Delta's announcement this week that it would be dropping service to BKK, it got me thinking about all of the destinations we've lost on Delta since the merger. I fly Delta because it's reliable and the service is good, but also because of all the places it can take me. So each destination lost makes that case just a little bit weaker. I'm just focusing on the international destinations here, but I'm sure an equally lengthy list could be made domestically.

ABV
ACA
AMM
BKK
BSB
OTP
BUD
PUS
CAI
DXB
IST
KBP
ROB
BOM
VLC

To be honest, I didn't realize how long this list would be until I started compiling it. It's actually pretty sad how many parts of the world are now out of reach. Anyone care to do it domestically?

bubbashow Aug 12, 2016 7:44 pm

A few on there make complete sense. CAI, BOM, AMM, IST. Some others, not so much. ACA, for example, WA served from LAX for years. Some - highly-questionable: DXB for example =-).

AANYC1981 Aug 12, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm glad I had the chance to go to OTP, VLC, KBP, IST, BKK, AMM while they lasted. All pretty cool places! Amman/Jordan and Petra are truly magical.

bubbashow Aug 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 27056950)
I'm glad I had the chance to go to OTP, VLC, KBP, IST, BKK, AMM while they lasted. All pretty cool places! Amman/Jordan and Petra are truly magical.

Was AMM inherited from PA?

AANYC1981 Aug 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 27056955)
Was AMM inherited from PA?

Pretty sure it was not....it was started by DL on their own.

jrkmsp Aug 12, 2016 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 27056960)
Pretty sure it was not....it was started by DL on their own.

Delta launched JFK-AMM in 2008: http://www.travelagentcentral.com/fl...amman-new-york

hfly Aug 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Let's be straight about something here. Most of the routes that you reference lasted were test routes, Delta flew them for a year or two, or perhaps 2-3 seasons and dropped them if they did not perform. IST however is/was a route that they not only flew consistently since they got it from Pan Am. From 1991-1997 via FRA, since 1997 nonstop, and briefly at the turn of the century they also had a successful route ATL-IST as well (that went away after 9/11 and never came back). PAn Am had been flying the route since 1952 or so, so this is a route that essentially was intact for about 65 years, and that is a big difference than West African routes, or esoteric Eastern European routes that they played with for a short time. TK flying 14 times a day to the US, including ATL, sort of proves that there is demand between the countries. That being said, they might have pulled out after what has occurred over the last 6 weeks in IST, OTOH, the route lasted successfully through three prior coups and all sorts of other trouble over the years.

ABV
ACA
AMM
BKK
BSB
OTP
BUD
PUS
CAI
DXB
IST
KBP
ROB
BOM
VLC

readywhenyouare Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

I think they dropped CRP, LBB, and maybe BRO and another TX city after the merger.

minnyfly Aug 12, 2016 11:16 pm

Here's some Canadian destinations that came to mind. Might be more. This list could grow too if the current economic conditions persist.

YXU - London
YQR - Regina
YQT - Thunder Bay
YYG - Charlottetown

MSPeconomist Aug 12, 2016 11:36 pm

CAN was served by PMNW from NRT.

I think there are some other intraAsia routes that have been lost. I would guess Fukahama, Guam, Jakarta in addition to Pusan.

IIRC KIX is about to be lost too. Technically, the old Osaka airport should also be on the list.

steveholt Aug 12, 2016 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27057420)
CAN was served by PMNW from NRT.

I think there are some other intraAsia routes that have been lost. I would guess Fukahama, Guam, Jakarta in addition to Pusan.

IIRC KIX is about to be lost too. Technically, the old Osaka airport should also be on the list.

Delta's still going to fly KIX-GUM and KIX-HNL, right?

ConcordeBoy Aug 13, 2016 1:33 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 27056908)
ABV
ACA
AMM
BKK
BSB
OTP
BUD
PUS
CAI
DXB
IST
KBP
ROB
BOM
VLC

To be honest, I didn't realize how long this list would be until I started compiling it.

You post this as if it's somehow a "problem" endemic to DL, without any seeming recognition that:
  • no other US carrier flies to any but one of them (UA@BOM)
  • most overfly major partner hubs, while lacking a significant business or high-yielding tourist component; which, barring subsidy, is generally going to be a losing proposal for a US carrier.
  • others (e.g. IST and CAI) lost their flights due to internal strife and political upheaval.

In fact, I'd say that DXB is the only one where DL just couldn't compete, despite the market. As for the rest, at least they gave the markets a go.

FireEmblemPride Aug 13, 2016 3:28 am

SGN used to be served via NRT but without local pickup rights from Japan IIRC.

Chadg Aug 13, 2016 7:49 am

I actually did the same thing the other day, but did long-haul routes they dropped since the merger instead of just destinations and here's what I came up with:
(compiled mostly from old Sky magazines)
ACC - ABV
ACC - ROB
AMS - BOM
ATL - ACC
ATL - ATH
ATL - BOM
ATL - BSB
ATL - CPH
ATL - DKR
ATL - DXB
ATL - FOR - REC - ATL
ATL - ICN
ATL - KWI
ATL - MAN
ATL - MAO
ATL - PRG
ATL - PVG
ATL - SVO
ATL - TLV
DKR - CPT
DKR - JNB
DKR - LAD
DTW - HKG
DTW - HND
JFK - ABV
JFK - AMM
JFK - BOM
JFK - BUD
JFK - CAI
JFK - IST
JFK - KBP
JFK - NRT
JFK - TXL
KIX - GUM
LAX - GRU
LAX - LHR
MCO - BSB
MEM - AMS
NGO - GUM
NGO - MNL
NRT - BKK
NRT - HKG
NRT - ICN
NRT - PEK
SEA - HND
SFO - NRT

Every1 Get A Life Aug 13, 2016 8:07 am

A ton of the routes everyone is posting were both started and ended after the merger, so to me they seem odd to be included in this thread. Is the point of the thread to not say where the combined entity cancelled destinations that were parts of the pre-merged airlines?