Wiki Posts
Search

Lap infant international business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Lap infant international business

I just booked a lap infant ticket for my daughter alongside our int'l business award tickets, first time I've done that with Delta (I've done it before on AA and UA).

The agent was quite insistent I only owed the taxes ($49) and 10% of the lowest Main Cabin fare ($31). This is a departure from the 10% of J fare + taxes I was expecting to pay. Also the ticket is issued in Main Cabin, which I pointed out to the phone agent. She told me this is correct, even though the adults are in business.

From Delta.com: "*If traveling internationally with a lap infant, the cost is usually 10% of the adult fare, plus international taxes and surcharges."

From OneMileAtATime: "10% of the adult revenue fare, plus taxes & fees"

Did the agent screw up? I just don't want drama when we try to board.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:31 pm

You should call again and ask if everything looks good, not mentioning what you were told before to see if the agent agrees with the infant ticket's validity. It's possible that you were undercharged for the ticket but the ticket can still be 100% valid at this point.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What are your origin and destination? Not all international is priced the same way.

If you were really charged main cabin fare it's going to be a problem.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What are your origin and destination? Not all international is priced the same way.

If you were really charged main cabin fare it's going to be a problem.
SEA-AMS-SEA
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:54 pm

My experience is that it is highly variable even for the same itinerary depending on who you get on the phone. It sounds like your ticket is already booked - IMHO I would leave it at that and not pursue it any further. The last time we flew SEA-CDG with a GUC applied, they only charged us 10% of the main cabin cabin fare + taxes like your experience. We had no problems checking in.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by green79
My experience is that it is highly variable even for the same itinerary depending on who you get on the phone. It sounds like your ticket is already booked - IMHO I would leave it at that and not pursue it any further. The last time we flew SEA-CDG with a GUC applied, they only charged us 10% of the main cabin cabin fare + taxes like your experience. We had no problems checking in.
Thanks for the personal experience, very helpful
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The lap infant is supposed to be ticketed in the cabin occupied by the adult. That means the applicable business infant fare, whether the adult got confirmed in business on an award, purchased fare, GUC, or mileage upgrade.

The key is available adult fare at time of infant ticketing. If this gets settled at the gate you may find the only adult fare is full J. Ten percent of a very big number can be a big number.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also the risk that you won't be able to fly as scheduled, unless you leave the baby behind, if the correct ticket cannot be reissued on time at the airport.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM
We just had a trip on Delta One with lap child and paid 10% of the biz class + tax.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
We had GUC upgrades clear on day of departure so had to pay additional fare for the lap infant to be in business. Thankfully the agent was able to base this on the business class fare on the day we purchased the tickets (rather than fully J)
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The lap infant is supposed to be ticketed in the cabin occupied by the adult. That means the applicable business infant fare, whether the adult got confirmed in business on an award, purchased fare, GUC, or mileage upgrade.

The key is available adult fare at time of infant ticketing. If this gets settled at the gate you may find the only adult fare is full J. Ten percent of a very big number can be a big number.
No it's based on J at time of ticketing into J for the adult. If revenue it's 10% of the adult ticket. For award tickets it is usually based on the lowest available J fare at time of adult ticketing. If you upgrade from a Y fare then it's usually based on the lowest J fare at the time you get upgraded. If it's at the gate, then this may be full J and not Z.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.