Wiki Posts
Search

Current Japanese menu offerings?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Current Japanese menu offerings?

Apologies if this is somewhere obvious, but I couldn't find it if it is...
Am flying MSP-NRT next week in Delta One and interested in preordering the Japanese meal. However, I don't eat mammals (chicken and fish OK), so wouldn't want to get stuck with a meal I can't eat. Has anyone flown this recently and know the options? Or know where I can find the current menu online?
Thanks for any information!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26816965-post650.html
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks, FlyinHawaiin! Japanese option looks pretty good...is there a way to know how long this menu is valid?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Menus are printed monthly, indicating that at least some changes are possible between July and August. I'm not sure if Japanese meals rotate on the same frequency, or if they are updated quarterly...

Honestly, my recommendation would be to preorder the Japanese meal. I've never been on a flight where the Japanese meal didn't "sell out" during meal ordering, and I think it's a pretty safe bet that if it's not something you can eat, you'll be able to choose a different selection on the fly and the F/As will be able to offer your preordered meal to another passenger. And more often than not, the main is either fish or chicken.

If the main is fine and the problem is just with a side, too, you can likely ask the flight attendants to not plate or remove the items you object to before serving the meal: on my most recent menu, for example, the only item you wouldn't have been able to eat was a beef-wrapped asparagus bite in the Zensai course, which would have been easy to remove or avoid.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the good suggestion, BenA...I'll give it a try
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From LAX-NRT (777) in D1 last week:

JAPANESE SELECTION (omitting stuff other than meat/chicken/fish/seafood/etc.)

Zensai: smoked salmon sushi, fried eel, grilled chicken, and egg omelet

Aemono: beef shabu shabu

Nimono: deep fried salmon

Shusai: grilled chicken

WESTERN SELECTION MAIN COURSE:

Grilled beef tenderloin

Barbecue chicken

Pan seared halibut

Szechuan pork

I had the beef and thought it was very good, but this doesn't help you.

Enjoy.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for posting the very recent menu...heavy on the birds/fish + light on the mammals makes me feel better about taking BenA's advice and preordering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.