Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tipping Flight Attendants On Board?!? Did I Miss Something All These Years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping Flight Attendants On Board?!? Did I Miss Something All These Years?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by appleguru
Tipping in first class on Amtrak (north east Acela anyways) is standard; I always try and give at least $5.

Never really thought about tipping an FA, but I really don't see why it would be innapproprate for good service.

And I agree, $1 is pretty tacky. $5 minimum I'd say. But hey, who knows.. If it weren't for mr $1 tipper, we'd have never even thought about it. I everyone in F started tipping, even just $1, then long term the FAs get even more tips (and they'd be fighting over serving F even more than some do already )
The logic might have been that one typically tips one dollar for delivery of a (simple,basic) drink in a bar. If the passenger had one drink on board, a dollar might have seemed appropriate in the absence of a bill so that 15-20% could be calculated.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWads
It really bothers me that DL only gives PMs two JWDs. Meanwhile, AA hands them out like candy.

Does DL expect me to encounter only two amazing employees in a year? I gave one to a captain, and the other to a phone agent for waiving a change fee.
What did the captain do that was so amazing? His/her job is to fly the plane safely and ideally smoothly and as close to the schedule as possible.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What did the captain do that was so amazing? His/her job is to fly the plane safely and ideally smoothly and as close to the schedule as possible.
One example that comes to mind for me is when I had a really long tarmac delay and the captain did a great job of keeping us informed, and did so with humor and sympathy. Lots of regular updates, etc. This was greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
One example that comes to mind for me is when I had a really long tarmac delay and the captain did a great job of keeping us informed, and did so with humor and sympathy. Lots of regular updates, etc. This was greatly appreciated.
Similar situation. He also took the time to speak to the FC cabin, asked us where we were going, and how long we'd been flying DL.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM
The logic might have been that one typically tips one dollar for delivery of a (simple,basic) drink in a bar. If the passenger had one drink on board, a dollar might have seemed appropriate in the absence of a bill so that 15-20% could be calculated.
Didn't think of that... Interesting.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Oh my gosh! I've been flying since I was a small child and I don't remember my parents ever tipping cabin staff. I've certainly never tipped cabin staff! What's next in American tipping culture - slipping the flight crew. $10? How about the baggage handlers? Shouldn't we be tipping them too? Oh, and what about the rampers? They have a pretty miserable job at fairly low wages. And how about the gate agents? Let's not forget the nice lady at the entry to the TSA pre-check line who makes sure only people with pre-check get in. Speaking of TSA, why arent we tipping the TSA agents who are doing a thankless job to process us quickly and efficiently and keep America safe again?!

When will the stupid tipping madness end?!?!
Tipping is basically required for Curb side Check in...

I agree that tipping in the US has gotten ridiculous. difficult to change though; we'd have to actually start paying people in the service industry real wages first...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agreed that this is probably the logic. However, it is problematic in that:

a) $1.00 is no longer an appropriate tip for a drink, at least in major cities. I always leave at least $2, and more if I am ordering multiple drinks or complicated drinks that take more time.

b) As I said before, this is not an environment where tipping is at all typical, so if you tip it is very likely to be the only tip they get, which makes the $1 extra pathetic. So if you want to demonstrate your appreciation, do so through a one-time exceptionally generous tip like $10 or $20 or more, or do so through the many great ideas of gifts that people in this thread suggested. But giving the FA $1 forces them to feign appreciation when you are actually sending the message that you think what they did to earn the tip is only worth $1.00
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:43 pm

I think the far more interesting part of the OP's post is that Frontier appears to be encouraging tipping. This is an unfortunate precedent, in my opinion.

There is a thread in the Frontier forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/front...ratuities.html
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I remember when I was a kid the promotional materials from the airlines specifically said not to tip the FAs, so i'll admit it hadn't occurred to me that I might want (be expected) to tip them. Right now the only people related to a flight I tip are the guys who get my husband from his wheelchair into the plane seat, and that's contingent on their doing a good job on the transfers (you'd be surprised at how incompetent some of them can be). I also take a wheelchair assist at DTW because of severe leg pain, and ticket counter to gate is worth $5 apiece for us, gate to plane is another 5, and there's ten in it for them to get us from plane to baggage claim to car on arrival.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
It really bothers me that DL only gives PMs two JWDs. Meanwhile, AA hands them out like candy.

Does DL expect me to encounter only two amazing employees in a year? I gave one to a captain, and the other to a phone agent for waiving a change fee.
Drop a note with identifying info (flight #, first name, etc) via delta.com. I've done this quite often, especially since I can never find my JWDs in time.

I really hope tipping doesn't become a standard thing. I give small gifts from time to time (chocolates, cookies, etc, especially around the holidays), but I want less tipping in my life, not more.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Osmo
When in the US, I buy $10 Starbucks cards and I've given them to our FA for when I felt the service was exceptional.
I give out $500+ in gift cards each year (and thank you cards) to Delta people who "Strive For Five" when taking care of me that is GA's, FA's, Sky Club & every now and then Pilots.

I also tend to give JWD to @Delta people or DM/PM line reps who are willing to now just follow the crud that SNAPP tells them they must do! :-:
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:52 pm
pkk

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DIA, Wyndham DIA, IHG Spire AMB
I carry visa gift cards and chocolate. I give them out as often as I think somebody deserves them. Usually the gift cards are $10 or $15 but I don't give them out unless they are earned. I like to have them available in case somebody really deserves something special.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold

AA's certificates are kinda useless. They allow you to enter a raffle for cash. But odds are slim and most cerficates are therefore useless.
DL's certificates, as far as I know, are redeemable for actual stuff.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:44 pm

Hell freezes over before I tip a flight attendant.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Hell freezes over before I tip a flight attendant.
We are talking Delta folks not Ryan Air here

(this was to be funny, sorry if not)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.