Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone willing to check on shenanigans?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW GE

Flew YXE-MSP today 7/31/2016 on DL 3760. At least 6 medallions on F upgrade list. 1 empty F seat at T-30. The GA boards FC then two uniformed FAs show up at the gate, there is tons of typing (2-3 min worth, during which time boarding was held) and the FAs are send down the jetbridge before sky priority boarding is called. One FA sitting in first and one in C+. Given that these seats were vacant right up until the Ga started boarding I think there is a good probability of shenanigans here, and since they were in those seats before I even had a chance to board, YBYL doesn't even apply. Anyone with powers care to confirm/refute? 2D is the seat in question.

Thanks in advance,
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:54 pm

Report exactly what you've told us to Delta. I hope you get compensation.

I didn't look into this because I can't share what I find anyway. If you think it happened, report it.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Flew YXE-MSP today 7/31/2016 on DL 3760. At least 6 medallions on F upgrade list. 1 empty F seat at T-30. The GA boards FC then two uniformed FAs show up at the gate, there is tons of typing (2-3 min worth, during which time boarding was held) and the FAs are send down the jetbridge before sky priority boarding is called. One FA sitting in first and one in C+. Given that these seats were vacant right up until the Ga started boarding I think there is a good probability of shenanigans here, and since they were in those seats before I even had a chance to board, YBYL doesn't even apply. Anyone with powers care to confirm/refute? 2D is the seat in question.

Thanks in advance,
If I'm on that upgrade list I get a redcoat station manager etc and ask for my upgrade while this is occurring. Wouldn't have let it go down without a conversation.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
No doubt they were NOT pass riding for pleasure.
Perhaps they were a deadheading crew to operate another flight and if so
the priority is in Delta's court - they MUST ride - how the seats are assigned
could be factored that these crew members needed to be up front and first off
to their assigned flight without further delay.
Back of the bus is not a satisfactory solution to this or even swapping out
seats with frequent loyal passengers causing further delay thus possibly
delaying two flights.
Deadheading crews to operate another flight trump the standby/upgrade list.
So Delta had one person unhappy with this solution but scored a whole plane
load of passengers from delay or further delay or cancellation.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I'm sure I'd be bummed if I was that close to getting a FREE upgrade.
But it is what it is...they are complimentary upgrades, not expected.

What would you do if you're the GA who has two fellow employees come up and ask to get on the flight. The GA may see those FAs twice a week. Odds are, they'll never see, much less remember #1 on the upgrade list ever again. Who would you play favorites to?

If they weren't dressed as FA's, just in regular clothes, you'd have to assume they were Delta 360s that just got bumped from another flight and they got higher priority and there would be no discussion or disgust.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)

Thanks in advance,
The fact that the FAs were a) in uniform b) coming from an international outstation leads me to believe they were indeed deadheading to get to their next flight or back to base and were due the seats they were given
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BHammy

What would you do if you're the GA who has two fellow employees come up and ask to get on the flight. The GA may see those FAs twice a week. Odds are, they'll never see, much less remember #1 on the upgrade list ever again. Who would you play favorites to?

If they weren't dressed as FA's, just in regular clothes, you'd have to assume they were Delta 360s that just got bumped from another flight and they got higher priority and there would be no discussion or disgust.
GAs aren't supposed to play favorites and steal upgrades from elites who are entitled to those upgrades according to published program rules. It shouldn't matter what the relation is between the GAs and the nonrevs or how often they might see each other. It's still theft from one's employer and should lead to immediate termination when it happens.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:32 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Flew YXE-MSP today 7/31/2016 on DL 3760. At least 6 medallions on F upgrade list. 1 empty F seat at T-30. The GA boards FC then two uniformed FAs show up at the gate, there is tons of typing (2-3 min worth, during which time boarding was held) and the FAs are send down the jetbridge before sky priority boarding is called.
Something funny happened here if the GA started boarding before gate upgrades were processed.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by DLERT
delaying two flights.
This happened at T 30 right when upgrades were suppose to happen. Shenanigans.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by DLERT
delaying two flights.
Assuming the OP's story is true, I wouldn't have given a deadheading crew member a first class seat so they could get off early. FAs could have let them deplane first on arrival. Seating them in the back wouldn't have delayed the flight because upgrading a Medallion would have opened up a seat immediately.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by BHammy

I tell personal friend FAs to sit in the back all the time. If they aren't terrible people, then they understand that customers come first and customers bring in the revenue
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by woodford02A
The fact that the FAs were a) in uniform b) coming from an international outstation leads me to believe they were indeed deadheading to get to their next flight or back to base and were due the seats they were given
If the FAs were truly due First Class seats, then the OP would have reported both FAs sitting in First, not one in Comfort+.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
Assuming the OP's story is true, I wouldn't have given a deadheading crew member a first class seat so they could get off early. FAs could have let them deplane first on arrival. Seating them in the back wouldn't have delayed the flight because upgrading a Medallion would have opened up a seat immediately.
However contractually they might be entitled. I know some flight crews get first class seats in order to have time counted as rest and not active flight.

However it sounds like agent didn't process the FC upgrade list before processing standbys and system cleared FA into the best available seat which was FC.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However contractually they might be entitled. I know some flight crews get first class seats in order to have time counted as rest and not active flight.

However it sounds like agent didn't process the FC upgrade list before processing standbys and system cleared FA into the best available seat which was FC.
This could be true, but I've never heard of such a contract for a Delta Connection carrier. #1 on the upgrade list could have gotten an apology and explanation from the GA if so.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO

If the FAs were contractually entitled to FC seats as deadheaders, the flight shouldn't have shown one FC seat as available for upgrade as the FAs should have been already confirmed into FC.

I also don't think it's likely that there would be deadheading crew on this flight unless there had been issues such as an ill crew member or a ferry flight. If the person lives near YXE, they would be based elsewhere necessarily and commute (NOT deadhead) internationally to work, although this arrangement for a MSP based FA would be very unusual, and even more unlikely for two of them on the same flight. Even so, in that case, the FA would fly to work at their duty station either as a nonrev with no entitlement to FC until all elites confirmed on the flight had already been upgraded or on a paid ticket, where again it would be extremely unlikely that one FA would purchase FC and the other one would purchase C+ just as the flight started boarding, especially when there were available seats and those FAs would have gotten on the flight as NRSAs. For the record, it's similarly unlikely that if they *purchased* a coach ticket when it wasn't necessary to do so, they would have had the status level and other priority indicators to go to the very top of the gate upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.