Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Plat Delta medallion benefits on Virgin Australia

Plat Delta medallion benefits on Virgin Australia

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Originally Posted by BHammy
Smoothest transition from DL to VA that I can remember in the past 7 years of flying thru Sydney.

Forgot to have LAX push bags thru to BNE...with separate itineraries on DL to SYD, then VA to BNE.
At xfer desk in Sydney, agent wasn't sure if the VA status for DL diamonds. After talking with super, she confirmed that PM/DM get VA baggage = 3x23kg bags.
She also asked us if we wanted economy X seats, as they are available.
Got bus xfer tix over to domestic
Lounge access no problem on domestic.

So it seems the VA/DL "partnership".is v alive and well.
Thank you for the most recent update. Looking at traveling next spring to MEM and connecting out of BNE.

Mahalo!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta PLAT, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
I was just there last week and can confirm you will be granted access. I did bring my Plat Skymiles card with the expiration of 2019 printed on it. When I booked the tickets on VA's website I did enter our Skymiles numbers, but when checking in there wasn't anything listed on their end. I anticipated this, so that's why I brought my card and fed her my sons Skymiles number, non elite. When she entered my number it did NOT come up partner GOLD, which is what she stated you needed to get access to the lounge for domestic VA travel. They did let both of us in on my status.

Use the VA "Business, Plat, Gold" Check in line
I did have to ask if that would get me into the lounge
SYD - CNS my bag was over 50lbs and she said, You have status, we wont worry about it, so not sure if that's the rule, BUT they were tagged priority like DL
Make sure it says Partner GOLD on your Boarding Pass or you will have a fight with the lounge attendants
You can ask for upgrades but I was always told NO, you have to be VA Plat, even with 1st and Econ X at 10% full
I asked for a cost to upgrade from SYD to CNS it was $440 per person, CNS to SYD it was $60 per person and took it
Level of service made DL look like a joke against domestic 1st vs VA domestic 1st
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:32 pm

DM Denied at BNE SilverKris

Just a data point: I was (rudely) denied access to the SilverKris lounge at BNE because I didn't have a VA card. Well, yeah, I'm a partner platinum, and I did have my Delta DM card to prove it, but they were determined to not let me in. Was flying SYD-BNE-LAX in PS.

Not sure what your options are if you're travelling through Brisbane before the new VA lounge finally opens.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ed285
Just a data point: I was (rudely) denied access to the SilverKris lounge at BNE because I didn't have a VA card. Well, yeah, I'm a partner platinum, and I did have my Delta DM card to prove it, but they were determined to not let me in. Was flying SYD-BNE-LAX in PS.

Not sure what your options are if you're travelling through Brisbane before the new VA lounge finally opens.
That's legitimately awful, that BNE International terminal is a joke. I was there in December and didn't realize that BNE didn't have an International Virgin lounge (at their home airport nonetheless - shameful). Good luck finding a power point to charge your stuff.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
That's legitimately awful, that BNE International terminal is a joke. I was there in December and didn't realize that BNE didn't have an International Virgin lounge (at their home airport nonetheless - shameful). Good luck finding a power point to charge your stuff.
The VA-NZ breakup really seems to have screwed things up for lounge access.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ed285

Delta elites never had international lounge access with VA. The lounge agreement is only reciprocal, VA-owned lounges and DL-owned lounges only. VA doesn't have (and has never had) any international lounges (although possibly opening one in WLG in the future). The 'new' VA lounge will be no different, it is a 3rd party lounge and DL elites will not have lounge access (unless flying J).

Look at it this way, SQ has no partnership with DL. They are in rival alliances. Yes, SQ has a partnership with VA, but regular VA Y passengers don't get lounge access. So you were asking to use the SQ lounge solely on the basis that you spend a lot of money with DL. That's the logic.

Similarly, if you are a VA elite you can't go to the KLM lounge at AMS, even if flying DL metal. Same for both sides. Not ideal, but that's the way it is. VA is not part of Skyteam.

Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
They have pretty good lounges at BNE for their elites and J pax.

Originally Posted by mot29
The VA-NZ breakup really seems to have screwed things up for lounge access.
It was a bit chaotic for awhile, but now that the dust has settled, the international lounge access for VA is actually much simpler and quite good. But like it has been since the start of the VA/DL partnership, this doesn't include DL elites. The NZ partnership did not help DL elites in any way.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Qantas FF & Qatar Privilege Club
Based on what I've read above, would it be fair to assume that a DL Gold flying on VA from Melbourne to Hong Kong won't get access to The House lounge even though VA Golds would?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.