Standby List Disparity

Old Jul 26, 16, 3:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LTPP, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 28
Standby List Disparity

I'm confirmed on DL 2502 (ATL-RDU) on a paid First (P fare) but have also listed for the earlier 6pm (DL 2534) which is currently showing F2.

Diamond desk says I'm #1 on the standby list, and that I should clear into F prior to any complimentary upgrades. (Sounded fishy, but I've never tried standby before on a paid F ticket, only Y).

On the iPhone app and on DL.com it shows me as #15/17 on the Standby list.

Called back into the Diamond line and got the same answer of being #1 on the list, and clearing ahead of RU upgrades.

Any advice / experience?
404flyer is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD/MDW/MKE
Programs: DL, UA
Posts: 785
Unfortunately what you see on the list is they way it actually is on the Airport Standby List. Complimentary upgrades clear first, and then revenue standbys. The agent on the line has it wrong.
WidgetKid is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Posts: 1,685
Why are you trying to standby? Just do a same day confirm.
suvayanr is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,374
Originally Posted by suvayanr View Post
Why are you trying to standby? Just do a same day confirm.
I am a bit perplexed as well.
emrdoc is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Posts: 1,789
I'm also confused that the stand-by list consists of 15 DMs. Or is that 15 of 17 DMs? Seems odd that on this route there would be so few lower-tiered FFs, i.e. two of them...
CHOPCHOP767 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:38 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,879
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 View Post
I'm also confused that the stand-by list consists of 15 DMs. Or is that 15 of 17 DMs? Seems odd that on this route there would be so few lower-tiered FFs, i.e. two of them...
That's not accurate. The OP is below all complimentary upgrades. Same day standby comes after all confirmed Medallions waiting for an upgrade.
Widgets is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:49 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,759
Originally Posted by suvayanr View Post
Why are you trying to standby? Just do a same day confirm.
That was my question also
Mr. Tickets is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:51 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LTPP, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by suvayanr View Post
Why are you trying to standby? Just do a same day confirm.
It's F0 for sale but the standby list shows 2F seats available. Just called back again and agent isn't Able to same-day confirm but again said I'm number one on the list. Will look again when I am at the airport shortly
404flyer is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 4:02 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LTPP, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 View Post
I'm also confused that the stand-by list consists of 15 DMs. Or is that 15 of 17 DMs? Seems odd that on this route there would be so few lower-tiered FFs, i.e. two of them...
At this point I'm not sure but they just cleared 2 UGs into F and all C+ and Y seats. I'm still #2 on the list with 0 seats.
Agree that as a DM it was weird to be 15/17 on the list in this market.
404flyer is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 4:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,879
Originally Posted by 404flyer View Post
At this point I'm not sure but they just cleared 2 UGs into F and all C+ and Y seats. I'm still #2 on the list with 0 seats.
Agree that as a DM it was weird to be 15/17 on the list in this market.
Like a couple of us have said, you being same-day standby means you're after ALL confirmed Medallions, even Silver Medallions who are confirmed on the flight and waiting for an upgrade. That's why you're 15 of 17. #16-17 are likely nonrevs or flat tire standbys.

If the Main Cabin were oversold, then confirmed Y customers would be seated in First Class before you would be assigned a seat.

Same-day standby means that after ALL the confirmed customers are seated and all confirmed customers' requests for upgrades are processed, then you will be seated if there's still one available.

Edit: I hope this makes sense. The phone reps either misunderstood the question and told you that you're the first customer standing by (and you probably are), or they were misinformed.

Last edited by Widgets; Jul 26, 16 at 4:26 pm
Widgets is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 4:49 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LTPP, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
Like a couple of us have said, you being same-day standby means you're after ALL confirmed Medallions, even Silver Medallions who are confirmed on the flight and waiting for an upgrade. That's why you're 15 of 17. #16-17 are likely nonrevs or flat tire standbys.

If the Main Cabin were oversold, then confirmed Y customers would be seated in First Class before you would be assigned a seat.

Same-day standby means that after ALL the confirmed customers are seated and all confirmed customers' requests for upgrades are processed, then you will be seated if there's still one available.

Edit: I hope this makes sense. The phone reps either misunderstood the question and told you that you're the first customer standing by (and you probably are), or they were misinformed.
This makes total sense and why I asked what now appears to be a dumb question.

After talking to a very nice supervisor in CVG she was able to confirm what you just stated. Flight was oversold and the people who got confirmed on were confimed passengers who were waiting on seat assignments and one IROP DM.

Like I said initially it sounded fishy and I should have just gone with my instinct that it was.

To all who questioned - I would have confirmed if I could have. I appreciate others who confirmed what my initial thought was on how standbys clear. Like I said the only wrinkle is I've never tried to standby on paid F before. Lesson learned.
404flyer is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 5:06 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by 404flyer View Post
I'm confirmed on DL 2502 (ATL-RDU) on a paid First (P fare) but have also listed for the earlier 6pm (DL 2534) which is currently showing F2.

Diamond desk says I'm #1 on the standby list, and that I should clear into F prior to any complimentary upgrades. (Sounded fishy, but I've never tried standby before on a paid F ticket, only Y).

On the iPhone app and on DL.com it shows me as #15/17 on the Standby list.

Called back into the Diamond line and got the same answer of being #1 on the list, and clearing ahead of RU upgrades.

Any advice / experience?
If you ask nicely, they might event confirm you on both flights. That way you actually get the upgrade instead of when you fly standby - confirmed pax upgrades clear then they clear the standby list.
BumpMeVoucherMeATL is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 9:19 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Posts: 1,789
Thanks, Widgets! As a GM, I'll stick with my original itineraries on their cheap A/P fares.
CHOPCHOP767 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 9:30 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,879
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 View Post
Thanks, Widgets! As a GM, I'll stick with my original itineraries on their cheap A/P fares.
For better or worse, SDS as a First class customer is almost a guarantee you won't get a first class seat after Medallion upgrades are processed. It's good for the Medallions who are confirmed on the flight--not losing out on upgrades from passengers who aren't even confirmed on the flight. It's bad for the standby customer.
Widgets is offline  
Old Jul 26, 16, 10:36 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,080
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
For better or worse, SDS as a First class customer is almost a guarantee you won't get a first class seat after Medallion upgrades are processed. It's good for the Medallions who are confirmed on the flight--not losing out on upgrades from passengers who aren't even confirmed on the flight. It's bad for the standby customer.
Right... but on the flip side, as an F ticket holder you almost never have to SDS; there is typically at least one seat to SDC into... And if there aren't any seats to SDC into, there won't be seats for anyone to UG into unless somebody no shows.
appleguru is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: