Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby List Disparity

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thats why you don't SDS from a first class fare. You only SDC since you just need the flight to be F1 to get on. Unfortunately in this case it was F0, so you got put on standby... which as you saw and others mentioned, means you're below everyone else.

If you did end up clearing, you'd get a middle seat in C- since standby is after all upgrades.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Speaking of the standby list, do non-revs routinely show up on the FC upgrade list now? There was one on the list (who cleared) on my MSY-DTW flight yesterday.

My DTW-CVG flight had a ton of pilots and FAs who were repositioning, so could they have all been on this list too and not cleared? That flight pushed with 15+ people on the list, and an empty FC seat next to me.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by appleguru
Right... but on the flip side, as an F ticket holder you almost never have to SDS; there is typically at least one seat to SDC into... And if there aren't any seats to SDC into, there won't be seats for anyone to UG into unless somebody no shows.
In the OP's case, there were two upgrades on the day of departure, apparently done at the gate, even though DL wasn't willing to sell any FC tickets or permit any SDCs into FC. Could DL have set F0 in order to avoid exactly what the OP was trying to do, namely SDC onto a flight that was already (perhaps badly) oversold in coach? I'm surprised too that with 2 FC seats available, DL wasn't willing to let someone with a FC ticket SDC onto the flight.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Speaking of the standby list, do non-revs routinely show up on the FC upgrade list now? There was one on the list (who cleared) on my MSY-DTW flight yesterday.

My DTW-CVG flight had a ton of pilots and FAs who were repositioning, so could they have all been on this list too and not cleared? That flight pushed with 15+ people on the list, and an empty FC seat next to me.
In the app:

Nonrevenue Positive Space (company business) customers will appear on the first class upgrade list if they requested an upgrade. Nonrevenue space available customers don't show up on the first class upgrade list--just the standby list.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
In the app:

Nonrevenue Positive Space (company business) customers will appear on the first class upgrade list if they requested an upgrade. Nonrevenue space available customers don't show up on the first class upgrade list--just the standby list.
Again, this reflects the rule that you must first be confirmed onto the flight before you can be added to the upgrade list.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by WWads
That flight pushed with 15+ people on the list, and an empty FC seat next to me.
Haven't seen that all year! On almost every segment I've been on this year, the GAs have come down with tickets for the fortunate one who refused DL's FCM. I suppose fortune does favor the bold
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the OP's case, there were two upgrades on the day of departure, apparently done at the gate, even though DL wasn't willing to sell any FC tickets or permit any SDCs into FC. Could DL have set F0 in order to avoid exactly what the OP was trying to do, namely SDC onto a flight that was already (perhaps badly) oversold in coach? I'm surprised too that with 2 FC seats available, DL wasn't willing to let someone with a FC ticket SDC onto the flight.
Based on talking with the GA after the flight departed, that's exactly what happened. Physically there were 2 seats available, which is why I took a chance on SDS, but as far as selling they put it to F0 because they were oversold in the back. Hence why even the DM line could not SDC me with a FC ticket. I should have gone with my gut and called BS on the first DM line agent who said the app standby list was wrong.

In the end, they offered me a $200 voucher for the bad info from the first agent, and I made it to my destination on the originally booked flight. Thanks everyone for your input and help.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Haven't seen that all year! On almost every segment I've been on this year, the GAs have come down with tickets for the fortunate one who refused DL's FCM. I suppose fortune does favor the bold
The flight was F0, so there was probably a misconnect. The GA did come on board and went back to talk to someone, but they refused the upgrade for whatever reason. The flight had a ton of repositioning crew onboard, so I'm guessing they made up the majority of the list.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Fair enough. I've done 28 segments with DL this year all in F and only on one flight did I have the seat next to me left open: JFK to BOS, the last flight at about 2100, on Monday over Fourth of July week-end where there were maybe 50 people on the A319. I thought the days of empty seats on aircraft were long over, lol.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Why are you trying to standby? Just do a same day confirm.
If your fare class isn't available it SDS and not SDC. At least that's what I have been told many times including today. Had a PHX-MSP at 416, however completed work earlier. Made a mad dash to the airport.

I was told my fare class wasn't open so it was SDS. They had already cleared 5 people on standby an hour before boarding. I was then #1 and cleared. Later notice overall I was number 2 overall for SDS as a GM.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
If your fare class isn't available it SDS and not SDC. At least that's what I have been told many times including today. Had a PHX-MSP at 416, however completed work earlier. Made a mad dash to the airport.

I was told my fare class wasn't open so it was SDS. They had already cleared 5 people on standby an hour before boarding. I was then #1 and cleared. Later notice overall I was number 2 overall for SDS as a GM.
For any First Class fares, the fare class doesn't have to be available for SDC, only an available seat in the FC cabin. For Economy you're correct, it has to be in your ticketed fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.