Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by PayItForward
I am struggling to imagine what I would have done in that situation and then sadly came to the conclusion that there is nothing to do except curse my luck. Hope your laptop survived the beer-fest.
Spank/Discipline the parents. Then ask for money for a new labtop just to see em sweat a little bit.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
In my best Chris Hansen impersonation - "Have a seat...."
It took me a while to figure it out . . . . .

GOOD LORD!!!

(I'm sure you were just kidding!)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by PayItForward
I am struggling to imagine what I would have done in that situation and then sadly came to the conclusion that there is nothing to do except curse my luck. Hope your laptop survived the beer-fest.
I think this was one of those instances that helped me to learn that sometimes there isn't anything to be done other than let someone else do their thing and then carry on with your life.

Laptop survived as I was able to quickly invert it to keep the liquid from getting to its insides. Luckily it was a work laptop that my company had on lease, and was already scheduled to be returned/replaced within a couple months anyway.

In case it wasn't abundantly clear, I had no problem with the kid, or with kids in general. I travel with my niece and nephew (5 and 8 y.o.) pretty regularly and I know they can be a handful.

I don't even think the difference is in the particular outcome, as sometimes young kids will just not be in a state to listen. As long as I see a parent/guardian at least making a genuine attempt to care for/address their kid and understand that other people exist in the world, I'm fine with it.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Thought folks might enjoy the update.

Our first flight was last Monday, the Day of Horror. Our flight was delayed for about five hours. At the LGA Terminal D Sky Club, it was no problem whatsoever. "Go right in." Did the fact that we would be experiencing such a massive delay come into play? I honestly don't know.

Our return from Orlando was a different story. No way the agent would allow him in for free, but she did allow him to take my place in the Club. So my wife and grandson enjoyed the club while I headed to the gate area.

Further note... this one was totally unexpected. My wife and grandson were using the AMEX Companion Ticket which allows no upgrades. It was my turn to sit in F (yes we alternate) when I see the two of them heading into the first class cabin. Huh? Totally surprised! F was not full and the Gate Agent brought them from the back of the plane when bringing on the final manifest. THANK YOU DELTA!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by yogimax
thought folks might enjoy the update.

Our first flight was last monday, the day of horror. Our flight was delayed for about five hours. At the lga terminal d sky club, it was no problem whatsoever. "go right in." did the fact that we would be experiencing such a massive delay come into play? I honestly don't know.

Our return from orlando was a different story. No way the agent would allow him in for free, but she did allow him to take my place in the club. So my wife and grandson enjoyed the club while i headed to the gate area.

Further note... This one was totally unexpected. My wife and grandson were using the amex companion ticket which allows no upgrades. It was my turn to sit in f (yes we alternate) when i see the two of them heading into the first class cabin. Huh? Totally surprised! F was not full and the gate agent brought them from the back of the plane when bringing on the final manifest. Thank you delta!
shena!gamer!sponges!:d
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I'm sure that there are many DYKWIAs here that would say the SC is for adults, but when you are travelling with a child, the SC is a better environment than the terminal. Along with the DM devaluation, there is a lack of common sense here. My 5 year old isn't drinking or eating and therefore the $29 is BS. There is a better solution and DL didn't choose it here.

Last edited by SYRRDU; Aug 16, 2016 at 4:09 pm
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
I'm sure that there are many DYKWIAs here that would say the SC is for adults, but when you are travelling with a child, the SC is a better environment than the terminal. Along with the DM devaluation, there is a lack of common sense here. My 5 year old isn't drinking or eating and therefore the $29 is BS. There is a better solution and DL didn't choose it here.
I think the problem here is people equate the $29, $50, $1,000,000, etc. entry fee with being able to drink or eat enough to equal it out. Whether you are 2 or 82, a recovering alcoholic who dosent drink, etc etc you are paying for entry in the room, and the benefits it provides. For some people maybe the $29 is worth it for them to take a number 2 in a cleaner bathroom, maybe its just worth it for them to have a seat in less noise, I dont know.

The entry fee covers you walking in the door, and shouldnt be broken down by how much you feel you can drink or eat while there. The same could be said about paying for FC, youre not paying to throw back as much Woodford as you can, you are paying for an upgraded seat. To some that is worth it for themselves, and their kids. Also for some it is not worth it.

Before I had membership into the Sky Clubs, and only had the platinum DL Amex card many times I just paid the $29 to go and relax without eating or drinking. Sometimes I pay the upgrade on my own dime from coach to FC on business trips on the way home when I am exhausted, and just want a more comfortable seat where I wont even have anything to drink or eat while in FC.

Also I could care less if your kids want to go to the room with you, just pay the same fee everyone else does. I spent my childhood traveling with my dad, and he would a) pay to get me in b) have the membership which allowed me in for free. I also didnt run around knocking beers into laptops though like someone else in this post soooooooo

Just my personal opinion everyone flame away.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:07 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by vincentharris
For some people maybe the $29 is worth it for them to take a number 2 in a cleaner bathroom
DO you know a place? The SC bathrooms are usually messier than a FC lav after half of Y has paraded through.

The same could be said about paying for FC, youre not paying to throw back as much Woodford as you can
well, duh, most flights only have 3 bottles.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by pvn
DO you know a place? The SC bathrooms are usually messier than a FC lav after half of Y has paraded through.

I have been lucky that the SC bathrooms are clean for me, with the exception of B10 in ATL. You are better off destroying your insides holding it in there.

B10 makes me think of the bathroom scenes from the Friday movies with Craig's dad
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:17 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
So, maybe it should be $19.95 entry / $9.95 with a DL Amex, and $7.95 a pound for the food bar SkyBuffet . There's already a cash bar set up, so, just start charging for the cheap stuff, too!

DMs get 1 free trip to the SkyBuffet.

Last edited by davetravels; Aug 17, 2016 at 5:24 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by gooselee
One of my favorite things about the LAS Centurion lounge is the little kids room with puzzles/games and an Xbox. Every time I go in and there are kids in there, they seem to be having a blast, and patrons who want to sit quietly or have a conversation or watch TV can do so in other parts of the lounge. Win-win.
My experiences with the LAS Centurion lounge is the kids are screaming so loud in there that you can hear them through the club. It's happened on almost all of my visits there.

But hey, it's better than them doing it in the middle of the food/bar area.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by yogimax
Thought folks might enjoy the update.

Our first flight was last Monday, the Day of Horror. Our flight was delayed for about five hours. At the LGA Terminal D Sky Club, it was no problem whatsoever. "Go right in." Did the fact that we would be experiencing such a massive delay come into play? I honestly don't know.

Our return from Orlando was a different story. No way the agent would allow him in for free, but she did allow him to take my place in the Club. So my wife and grandson enjoyed the club while I headed to the gate area.

Further note... this one was totally unexpected. My wife and grandson were using the AMEX Companion Ticket which allows no upgrades. It was my turn to sit in F (yes we alternate) when I see the two of them heading into the first class cabin. Huh? Totally surprised! F was not full and the Gate Agent brought them from the back of the plane when bringing on the final manifest. THANK YOU DELTA!
My SO and I did a domestic flight two weeks ago. I paid $29 to get her in the SC (neither of us drink alcohol) and since we used an AMEX companion ticket for her neither one of us were upgraded.

Last edited by Xeno; Aug 17, 2016 at 7:39 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:12 am

With regards to the charge itself, it is $29, imho it does not matter how one apportions the cost, to some it is the space itself, to some it is the alcohol, to some it is the food, it all depends where one values are placed.

I was recently at the ATL E Club and 5 young adult males had each paid the $29 to go along with their buddy who was a member and I saw them at the bar telling the bartender to keep the beers coming as they were going to drink their $29 worth.

I sat at the bar and watched as one beer after another was consumed by the group of young adult males, it was amusing. I would say that they drank their $29 and then some. It was fun to rewatch my college fraternity days, though back then we did not drink good beer like the Sweetwater 420 that the group of young males were drinking, we drank Natty Lite.

I have also watched family member flip out when they are told it is $29 to bring in X and I can understand the frustration, but rules are rules whether I (or we) like them or not, so if it is $29 to bring in X guest, then it is $29, no ifs, ands or buts.

IMHO, there should be some allowances for X reasons, but again I do not make the rules, so I just follow them.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
It is less about the guest consuming $29 worth of products and more about keeping the flow of people down. The JFK lounge in the late afternoon/early evening looks like a refugee camp with the amount of people in it. Sometimes there are less people in the terminal than in the lounge.

The $29 charge serves the purpose of reducing the number of guests
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Xeno
My SO and I did a domestic flight two weeks ago. I paid $29 to get her in the SC (neither of us drink alcohol) and since we used an AMEX companion ticket for her neither one of us were upgraded.
I keep thinking I'm missing something here because that's the way it's suppose to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.