Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The kid certainly isn't consuming the more expensive booze.
They may be more likely to consume milk, orange juice or apple juice, which is probably more expensive than many of the complimentary booze offerings.

(No, I don't really think that, but the thought crossed my mind and I did have to think about it for a minute ...)
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Do they ever? Yes.
Should they? No.

A while back I was in the MCO SC, seated at the end of a row with a beer on the little table next to me. There was a kid running around, loudly, unsupervised, who proceeded to bounce off my table and spill beer all over me, my laptop, and himself.

My problem wasn't the kid needing to let out some energy. I get that. Rather, my problem was:
1. The parent choosing to completely ignore their child for the 10 minutes they were running around yelling and bothering other people.
2. The parent only responding to the situation after their child had spilled beer everywhere.
3. The parent berating ME for leaving alcohol in a place where it could spill all over their child, with no mention or acknowledgement that I was literally sopping beverage out of my laptop keyboard.

I don't think OP's child is anything like this and have no problem with kids being in SCs. However, I would hope that even if OP circumvents the $29 admission fee rule, he/she maintains supervision of their child and demonstrates that they can observe the other rules and courtesies within the club.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
My problem wasn't the kid needing to let out some energy. I get that. Rather, my problem was:
1. The parent choosing to completely ignore their child for the 10 minutes they were running around yelling and bothering other people.
2. The parent only responding to the situation after their child had spilled beer everywhere.
3. The parent berating ME for leaving alcohol in a place where it could spill all over their child, with no mention or acknowledgement that I was literally sopping beverage out of my laptop keyboard.
This sounds like many parent/child behaviors I see, writ large.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Geeeeez! It's not bad enuf that you left an alcoholic beverage within striking distance of a minor, but, you also want to do the kid's parenting, too?!?!?

Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Geeeeez! It's not bad enuf that you left an alcoholic beverage within striking distance of a minor, but, you also want to do the kid's parenting, too?!?!?

Can't parent the kids...many parents would react hysterically and threaten you in one way or another.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
OTOH, getting $29 off the visit from a parent sponsoring a kid could be one of the most profitable customers since the kid is consuming the cheaper items and possibly less of them. The kid certainly isn't consuming the more expensive booze.
Let's not forget the effect the kid has on other SC users: If others are less likely to pay for admission, less likely to renew their memberships, and less likely to buy up to Executive memberships, or even less likely to fly DL, they the kid costs DL far more than the F&B that are consumed or handled.

IME the parents who think they're entitled to exceptions, or even are convinced that their kids are cute, are the worst in terms of failing to control their children. Plus, if someone pays for admission, the threat of being kicked out for misbehavior and not getting a refund is more likely to be effective.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Remember back about 25 years ago when velcro walls were a thing and people would wear velcro suits and and bounce off a trampoline and stick to them... something like that might prevent spillage.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not forget the effect the kid has on other SC users: If others are less likely to pay for admission, less likely to renew their memberships, and less likely to buy up to Executive memberships, or even less likely to fly DL, they the kid costs DL far more than the F&B that are consumed or handled.

IME the parents who think they're entitled to exceptions, or even are convinced that their kids are cute, are the worst in terms of failing to control their children. Plus, if someone pays for admission, the threat of being kicked out for misbehavior and not getting a refund is more likely to be effective.
Sometimes I think an age limit may not be a bad idea for the SC or at least a separate family section. I once was in a united club about 5 yrs ago in LAX and they had a family room where I took my son in and closed the door as not to disturb others. Yes i actually took others feelings into account who were trying to concentrate on business.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Sometimes I think an age limit may not be a bad idea for the SC or at least a separate family section. I once was in a united club about 5 yrs ago in LAX and they had a family room where I took my son in and closed the door as not to disturb others. Yes i actually took others feelings into account who were trying to concentrate on business.
One of my favorite things about the LAS Centurion lounge is the little kids room with puzzles/games and an Xbox. Every time I go in and there are kids in there, they seem to be having a blast, and patrons who want to sit quietly or have a conversation or watch TV can do so in other parts of the lounge. Win-win.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Do they ever? Yes.
Should they? No.

A while back I was in the MCO SC, seated at the end of a row with a beer on the little table next to me. There was a kid running around, loudly, unsupervised, who proceeded to bounce off my table and spill beer all over me, my laptop, and himself.

I don't think OP's child is anything like this and have no problem with kids being in SCs. However, I would hope that even if OP circumvents the $29 admission fee rule, he/she maintains supervision of their child and demonstrates that they can observe the other rules and courtesies within the club.
I hate children like that. On the other hand, I took my wife and toddler to the MCO SkyClub a few weeks ago. There's a small stage in the back corner with some kids toys there so they can play and not disturb other guests. Some jerk decided this was a great place to lay down and nap, using the pillow fort supplies as a bed.

My point is: there are bad parents with terrible kids and the many kids you probably don't even notice, just like there are ....... adults and the many fellow passengers you don't even notice.

To OP: yes, I've on many occasions had the SC agents waive the fee for guests, especially if the club is empty. I wouldn't count on it though.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
What ever happened to the OP?

Yes, I am here and appreciate all the non-snarky messages.

For those who worry about a kid let loose, that would never happen.

I worried about responses that would attack and question the simple question I asked.

I can easily live with the response of the Sky Club agents. I'm not here to argue or get into the DYKWIA nonsense. It was a simple question and I appreciate all the sincere responses.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:32 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yogimax
I appreciate all the sincere responses.
I guess the simple answer is, that, you can try, but be prepared for a "no". Depends on a million factors - none of which are predictable.

Maybe, if you could post a pic of your 7-year old, we could vote and tell'ya if we think he/she's cute enough!

Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well there's always going to be some kind of balance. And it wasn't like DL or any other US airline had a "no kids" policy up to this point and is now letting kids in if you're willing to pay it - they used to allow kids in with your membership so it's now more restrictive to get kids in. So if anything, charging for kids now and making parents less likely to bring them should be the right direction for your argument, not the wrong one.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Maybe, if you could post a pic of your 7-year old, we could vote and tell'ya if we think he/she's cute enough!

In my best Chris Hansen impersonation - "Have a seat...."
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:06 am

Do they ever? Yes.
Should they? No.

I am struggling to imagine what I would have done in that situation and then sadly came to the conclusion that there is nothing to do except curse my luck. Hope your laptop survived the beer-fest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.