Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: using FaceTime over WIFI caused issue with crew

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jrl767
this

however, this sort of back-and-forth cussing and discussing will not cease as long as there are (1) people who think they can play their "rules are for idiots and don't apply to me because obviously in my view I'm not an idiot" and (2) people who assiduously look for, and then try to take advantage of, every sort of loophole that doesn't explicitly prohibit doing something they want to do
then publish it in Sky magazine as such. They don’t.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Feb 10, 2018 at 8:19 am Reason: attempt to bypass FT's profanity filter
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Anyone else notice that the new Gogo free messaging feature actually allows calls if you have WiFi calling enabled on your iPhone? I’ve received a few incoming calls in-flight and immediately iced them, but am still totally shocked that this apparent loophole wasn’t caught in QA.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Anyone else notice that the new Gogo free messaging feature actually allows calls if you have WiFi calling enabled on your iPhone? I’ve received a few incoming calls in-flight and immediately iced them, but am still totally shocked that this apparent loophole wasn’t caught in QA.
I suspect the Wifi Calling uses an encrypted connection to an apple server, much like iMessage. If Apple's servers are like Google's, they all listen and respond to any Apple service request (i.e. FT, CoWifi, iMessage, iCloud, etc.). I'm not a network engineer, but if the traffic is encrypted to Apple's servers (which I assume it is), I'm not sure it could be blocked (if they can't determine what kind of traffic it is: iMessage, FT, etc.) via firewall rule without impacting iMessage.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by lindros2
Revisiting this thread:

1. Ku offers ability to use voice service (att/vzw/tmo/sprint WiFi)
2. TOS do not explicitly state this - read it don’t debate
3. Crew announcement is about CELLULAR, which this is not (there are 300 apps which provide voice)
4. Crew told me “it’s a navigation safety issue” - utter BS
5. FA, purser, lead FA, and pilot couldn’t find wording in their MS windows phone package of turd
6. They also couldn’t answer/explain/defend whether it was safety or cust experience related - this is bad and undermines everything above
7. Back to apps - my home security system, video cameras, Alexa, and 297 other things provide two-way voice communication

so the story continues
I was going to answer your question seriously....

then publish it in Sky magazine as such. They don’t.

otherwise, STFU.
Then you said this....and it's clear you're just a troll.

People who have phone/video conversations on planes are rude and inconsiderate of their fellow passengers, whether strictly prohibited or not.

Don't forget that passengers must comply with all crew member instructions...so the FA's have that going for them...which is nice.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:45 am

"Don't forget that passengers must comply with all crew member instructions...so the FA's have that going for them...which is nice."

That reference always makes me smile....
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by roknroll
The main reason you are facetiming with someone is the exact same reason you would try to call them normally. If you only saw video of them with no audio... would you do it? What if facetime was coming through fine on audio but the video was crapping out? Then you'd probably be fine with it.
I can think of one reason to face time with no audio , and you'd stop facetime when video craps out. And speaking of crapping out, I just step into the lav when I need to make a call.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I can think of one reason to face time with no audio , and you'd stop facetime when video craps out. And speaking of crapping out, I just step into the lav when I need to make a call.
Man the lines to the lav's are going to be horrible if everyone starts doing this .... on the plus side they are roughly the size of a phone booth, anyone remember those?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:13 pm

Hmmm...talking FaceTime for Apple. Has anyone tried Duo which is, I guess, the Android version of FT on GoGo?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Yes. Total silence. That's what I'm going for. If the only sounds people could make are conversations with their seatmates - at least that's less noise than if a whole world opened up for people to also talk to out-of-plane others.

I don't even want to hear your stupid phone calls in the Sky Club.

Sometimes I have to take a work call, or make a personal call while traveling, and I do it so hushed, I make such an effort to be inaudible, to crouch in a corner, to cover my mouth to muffle the sound.... but do you think the average lame business traveler with a giant belly and pleated khakis or a saggy suit bothers to be this considerate? No. Half of them are as loud as can be, and some of them go so far as to PACE AROUND THE ENTIRE LOUNGE OR TERMINAL, meaning, that no matter how many times I get up and walk away from you and your stupid call, I can't get away. Some phone call loud talker will just follow me.

Learn to use your email. Speak faster. Be more precise. Your call surely doesn't need to be as long as it is.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by marcworld
If the only sounds people could make are conversations with their seatmates
babies are people too
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Learn to use your email. Speak faster. Be more precise. Your call surely doesn't need to be as long as it is.
maybe instead of the whole world changing to suit your personal whims, you should just invest in some ear plugs?
rufflesinc, yohanson and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:30 pm

Revisiting this thread:

1. Ku offers ability to use voice service (att/vzw/tmo/sprint WiFi)
2. TOS do not explicitly state this - read it don’t debate
Bzzt.

From https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ght-wi-fi.html

Voice service is not permitted nor supported.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Yes. Total silence. That's what I'm going for. If the only sounds people could make are conversations with their seatmates - at least that's less noise than if a whole world opened up for people to also talk to out-of-plane others.

I don't even want to hear your stupid phone calls in the Sky Club.

Sometimes I have to take a work call, or make a personal call while traveling, and I do it so hushed, I make such an effort to be inaudible, to crouch in a corner, to cover my mouth to muffle the sound.... but do you think the average lame business traveler with a giant belly and pleated khakis or a saggy suit bothers to be this considerate? No. Half of them are as loud as can be, and some of them go so far as to PACE AROUND THE ENTIRE LOUNGE OR TERMINAL, meaning, that no matter how many times I get up and walk away from you and your stupid call, I can't get away. Some phone call loud talker will just follow me.

I love everything about this post. It should be enlarged, printed, framed and placed everywhere a DL pax might see it.
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
The day phone calls (and yes facetime is the same thing, maybe worse) on airplanes is the day I retire.

I do agree they need to firm up the language so the inconsiderate jerks don't have a loophole.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
The day phone calls (and yes facetime is the same thing, maybe worse) on airplanes is the day I retire.

I do agree they need to firm up the language so the inconsiderate jerks don't have a loophole.
Inconsiderate jerks ("The rules don't apply to me.. I am the center of the universe" types) will always find a loophole... even if they are the only ones who can see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.