Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GUC now able to be used on Virgin Atlantic (VS)???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC now able to be used on Virgin Atlantic (VS)???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I can confirm G is the UpperClass upgrade bucket for VS. Problem is, DL now confirms that G corresponds to PremiumEconomy. So according to DL, I'm not up front, VS says I am...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28476166-post2263.html
The DL systems get confused. DL uses G for PS on its A350 and soon to be 777 planes. Thus since you have to book using the DL codeshare the system sees G and thinks its PE. It doesnt understand that G is PS only on actual DL metal flights. Badically its an error that DL IT needs to fix, but that doesnt actually really cause an issue, just confusion. Youre in UC if in G on a VS flight.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has anyone had luck with using VS upgrades not only TATL but also on connections beyond LHR? The T&C say that we can use GUCs or VS globally, not just TATL like on AF. I realize that VS doesn't have so many destinations or such a large network, but does this work in practice if you're going some place that is served by VS? In fact, could one go east to Asia through Europe using GUCs on VS?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has anyone had luck with using VS upgrades not only TATL but also on connections beyond LHR? The T&C say that we can use GUCs or VS globally, not just TATL like on AF. I realize that VS doesn't have so many destinations or such a large network, but does this work in practice if you're going some place that is served by VS? In fact, could one go east to Asia through Europe using GUCs on VS?
Globally, but only if its a DL marketed. DL doesnt codeshare on VS outside US/UK routes.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Globally, but only if its a DL marketed. DL doesnt codeshare on VS outside US/UK routes.
so if I were flying on a VS ticket in PE LAX-LHR-JNB I couldn't use a GUC on the entire journey?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 355F1
so if I were flying on a VS ticket in PE LAX-LHR-JNB I couldn't use a GUC on the entire journey?
Correct. Only LAX-LHR and only if sold as DL codeshare.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:19 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
No, because you can't buy LHR-JNB on a DL flight number.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:26 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

We are aware of the confusion regarding how some Virgin Atlantic Award Tickets are displaying on Delta.com and are actively working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Currently, a reservation displaying G class on a Virgin Atlantic-operated flight represents a seat in the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class cabin even if Delta.com is displaying Premium Economy.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
We are aware of the confusion regarding how some Virgin Atlantic Award Tickets are displaying on Delta.com and are actively working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Currently, a reservation displaying G class on a Virgin Atlantic-operated flight represents a seat in the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class cabin even if Delta.com is displaying Premium Economy.
Thank you. Please notify your Twitter team and, at a minimum, the DM/360 line since they are unaware and currently providing erroneous advice.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
I purchased an A fare (Premium Economy) on 006 ticket, which appears to be off the list of eligible fare classes to upgrade to Upper Class. Has anyone had success upgrading from an A fare? Twitter team didn't seem to think I'm eligible. I'll call the DM line tomorrow to get their opinion. It would be weird if you couldn't go from Premium Economy to Upper Class.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
I purchased an A fare (Premium Economy) on 006 ticket, which appears to be off the list of eligible fare classes to upgrade to Upper Class. Has anyone had success upgrading from an A fare? Twitter team didn't seem to think I'm eligible. I'll call the DM line tomorrow to get their opinion. It would be weird if you couldn't go from Premium Economy to Upper Class.

DL switched from using W fares to P/A/G fares for Premium Economy fares on VS not too long ago. They also got rid of S coach fares. It just looks like they haven't bothered to update the website as it still lists W and S fares as eligible fare classes. So I would expect your fare to be eligible even though the website does not list it.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL switched from using W fares to P/A/G fares for Premium Economy fares on VS not too long ago. They also got rid of S coach fares. It just looks like they haven't bothered to update the website as it still lists W and S fares as eligible fare classes. So I would expect your fare to be eligible even though the website does not list it.
But because the website does not list it, you may have trouble finding an agent who agrees that conceptually it should be eligible despite the website not listing it as such. Might have to call back a couple times until you find a particularly helpful agent, and may require them escalating to a particularly thoughtful supervisor. Good luck.

Not clear if you're trying to use GUCs or miles to upgrade, but you actually may have better luck trying to upgrade with miles -- that program is newer and I believe was specifically set up to incorporate the possibility of upgrading from PE to UC. Even if you'd prefer to use GUCs it could be worth checking how many miles they'd charge to upgrade, as it may be a relatively small amount given you're not going all the way from Y to UC.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think somebody else mentioned that similar problem and had to explain it to the agent and get a supervisor involved to help.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I just spent ~ 2 hrs on hold to speak to an agent and came up zilch. Super frustrating!

I reactivated my EF subscription, confirmed that I could see G class availability for my dates going MSP-JFK-LHR-DEL and then called to purchase the coach ticket and upgrade the international segments to UC. Agent said that she could not see the upgrade availability. I reminded her that it has to be G and not OP/OY. She confirmed that is what she was looking for. I mentioned that even delta.com was allowing me to purchase the 2 roundtrip tickets using my miles (which also use the G bucket). Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere.

Wondering whether its worth another 2-3 hour hold to call again and get the same response. Anyway have any recent success in using GUCs for VS. I have 8 GUCs right now which would go waste if I cant get this to work. Hoping to at least get use out of 4 of them

Last edited by crazyhorse; Jul 15, 2021 at 8:47 am Reason: typos
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unfortunately I'm not sure if anyone has ever gotten this to work successfully on VS. Seems to be a 'paper benefit' that you can't actually use...
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Correct. Only LAX-LHR and only if sold as DL codeshare.
Originally Posted by bgriff
No, because you can't buy LHR-JNB on a DL flight number.
I was wondering the same thing. According to this screen shot, and the terms & conditions, one would be able to use GUC's all the way there and back because all 4 flights are DL flight numbers and bookable via the Delta website...

Or am I missing something?

OPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.