Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do you get a decent seat on Virgin Atlantic?

How do you get a decent seat on Virgin Atlantic?

Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
This is the most recent related thread I can find, but having some difficulty and curious if others have had similar.
I am a GM on Delta. Booked on a DL-marketed, VS-operated flight (ATL-MAN). Per Delta's website:
If you are a SkyMiles® Diamond or Platinum Medallion®, you can select seats for all your party (so long as you are in the same booking) up to 336 days before departures free of charge, you may select an Extra Legroom or Exit Row Seat for yourself free of charge and standard seats for the rest of your party.

If you are a SkyMiles Gold Medallion® you can select seats up to 336 days before departure free of charge for yourself only (no companion waiver and not including Extra Legroom and Exit Row Seats). Please visit delta.com to make seat selections or changes.
Delta.com doesn't allow you to select flights. On Virgin's website, I can't make any complimentary seat selection. I did a chat with a VS rep and they assisted Delta's website is wrong, and only Diamonds and Platinums get free seat selection.
Sent an email to Delta, but curious if others have had the same experience
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
The easiest way to select seats on VS is to call Delta and ask for the VS confirmation number then go to VS website. Yes, there have been times when the flights have shown on DL site and I could select seats but there have been times when I couldn’t.

NB: Make sure to note how your name appears on the reservation. In my case I had to add my middle initial to the end of my first name to match the information transmitted to VS
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
After having no problems as a PM selecting PE seats on previous VS flights over the past 3 years, last August I ran into a snag with a PE ticket on a MAN-BOS flight. I was able to access my reservation on the VS website using either my DL or my VS confirmation number but I could not select a seat. When I called VS the agent said it was because my reservation was for the DL codeshare flight and they could not access the seating chart for that. This still makes NO sense to me, since it was a VS operated flight. I tried HUAC a couple of times with the same results. Delta also could not give me a seat assignment since it was a VS operated flight.

About three days before the flight I was able to get a mileage upgrade to UC and could then select a seat. In the process of upgrading, my DL codeshare flight number changed to the VS flight number.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
After having no problems as a PM selecting PE seats on previous VS flights over the past 3 years, last August I ran into a snag with a PE ticket on a MAN-BOS flight. I was able to access my reservation on the VS website using either my DL or my VS confirmation number but I could not select a seat. When I called VS the agent said it was because my reservation was for the DL codeshare flight and they could not access the seating chart for that. This still makes NO sense to me, since it was a VS operated flight. I tried HUAC a couple of times with the same results. Delta also could not give me a seat assignment since it was a VS operated flight.

About three days before the flight I was able to get a mileage upgrade to UC and could then select a seat. In the process of upgrading, my DL codeshare flight number changed to the VS flight number.
Nudging this thread to see if others are having this similar experience.

I've taken four other DL-marketed, DL-ticketed, VS-operated flights in the past 3 months. All booked in PE (one I later upgraded to UC, but that part is irrelevant for this question). Did not have any issues selecting seats for any of them - though it's inconsistent. For one set, I was able to select seats via DL.com and have them stick. For another, I had to use my 006 ticket # to log in to the VS website and could select there and they stuck.

Just made another booking today, again 006, DL-marketed, VS-operated. DL.com shows me a seatmap with everything blocked out. VS.com shows me a seatmap with open seats, but when I choose/submit anything, it gives me an error.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:44 pm

I got Delta to select a seat for me back in December, and it stuck.... until today, three days before my flight, when I got moved to the back of the plane in the center section. Sigh.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Adam1222
This is the most recent related thread I can find, but having some difficulty and curious if others have had similar.
I am a GM on Delta. Booked on a DL-marketed, VS-operated flight (ATL-MAN). Per Delta's website:

Delta.com doesn't allow you to select flights. On Virgin's website, I can't make any complimentary seat selection. I did a chat with a VS rep and they assisted Delta's website is wrong, and only Diamonds and Platinums get free seat selection.
Sent an email to Delta, but curious if others have had the same experience
In Economy, as far as I've seen, only DM/PM get free seat selection on VS.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
Nudging this thread to see if others are having this similar experience.

I've taken four other DL-marketed, DL-ticketed, VS-operated flights in the past 3 months. All booked in PE (one I later upgraded to UC, but that part is irrelevant for this question). Did not have any issues selecting seats for any of them - though it's inconsistent. For one set, I was able to select seats via DL.com and have them stick. For another, I had to use my 006 ticket # to log in to the VS website and could select there and they stuck.

Just made another booking today, again 006, DL-marketed, VS-operated. DL.com shows me a seatmap with everything blocked out. VS.com shows me a seatmap with open seats, but when I choose/submit anything, it gives me an error.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?
On DL-booked Economy or PE flights (VS-operated), birthday does not always carry over and I've had issues with seat selection. If I cannot select via the VS website, I just call and I've had them assign me seats in Economy (usually extra leg room seats) or PE. It's an annoying glitch for sure!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
In Economy, as far as I've seen, only DM/PM get free seat selection on VS.
Actually the whole scheme has changed since that post, with the introduction of Economy Classic and Economy Light.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
On DL-booked Economy or PE flights (VS-operated), birthday does not always carry over and I've had issues with seat selection. If I cannot select via the VS website, I just call and I've had them assign me seats in Economy (usually extra leg room seats) or PE. It's an annoying glitch for sure!
Huh, that's annoying. I'll call VS later today and sort it out. Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Actually the whole scheme has changed since that post, with the introduction of Economy Classic and Economy Light.
I am well aware of the changes. That said, do not book Economy Light/Classic tickets, but when I inquired, VS said (as a DM) I'm eligible for seat selection...I've not booked either class in recent bookings as I didn't want to tempt fate and the PE price was acceptable.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh, that's annoying. I'll call VS later today and sort it out. Thanks!
Yeah, it started in the early spring I think - I always look at pricing on the DL or VS websites - go with whatever is cheaper. While I do not get a VS agent sooner when I call, they've always seen my status and assisted accordingly.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, it started in the early spring I think - I always look at pricing on the DL or VS websites - go with whatever is cheaper. While I do not get a VS agent sooner when I call, they've always seen my status and assisted accordingly.
I do the same, just have never found VS.com to be cheaper for the particular flights/dates I've been booking.

To follow up, I just got off the phone with VS and while the agent was very nice, understood what I wanted to do, and agreed that it should be possible, his computer was not allowing him to move me out of my auto-assigned seat. He want to a "Team Leader" and they were still having problems, so he took my phone number with a promise to escalate/fix and then call back.

Not sure what the root issue is, but also would really prefer to not be in a window seat for an 8 hr flight.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do the same, just have never found VS.com to be cheaper for the particular flights/dates I've been booking.

To follow up, I just got off the phone with VS and while the agent was very nice, understood what I wanted to do, and agreed that it should be possible, his computer was not allowing him to move me out of my auto-assigned seat. He want to a "Team Leader" and they were still having problems, so he took my phone number with a promise to escalate/fix and then call back.

Not sure what the root issue is, but also would really prefer to not be in a window seat for an 8 hr flight.
Update - Have not gotten a call/email back but my PNR is now showing no seats assigned at all.

Trying VS twitter. Wonderful crossover technology they've got for this JV.

Update #2 - VS Twitter fixed this in about 10 minutes. Slowest part was me responding to them with my flight info. Hooray!

Last edited by gooselee; Aug 22, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update - Have not gotten a call/email back but my PNR is now showing no seats assigned at all.

Trying VS twitter. Wonderful crossover technology they've got for this JV.

Update #2 - VS Twitter fixed this in about 10 minutes. Slowest part was me responding to them with my flight info. Hooray!
IME, VS is pretty good customer service-wise. They've even called me the day before a flight to see if I needed anything or had any questions.

Glad the twitter team sorted it out!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, VS is pretty good customer service-wise. They've even called me the day before a flight to see if I needed anything or had any questions.

Glad the twitter team sorted it out!
Agree. I was kind of surprised the phone agent a) couldn't seem to fix it and b) didn't follow-up. Especially after the twitter team handled it so quickly.

Maybe next time I need to call their UK number instead of the US line.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.