Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's Policy of Not Restoring AMEX Companion Tickets After Cancel a DOT Violation?

Delta's Policy of Not Restoring AMEX Companion Tickets After Cancel a DOT Violation?

Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Delta has a policy (which they disclose) that once an Amex certificate is used to purchased a ticket it will not be reissued.

Seems to me as applied to reservations cancelled within the 24 hour window this is a violation of the DOT cancellation rule.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Nope ... the cert once used, it is used. Those are the terms and are separate from the cancelation policy.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Has this changed? I did a 24 hour cancel with a companion cert 3 weeks ago and it was re-opened.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by javabytes
Has this changed? I did a 24 hour cancel with a companion cert 3 weeks ago and it was re-opened.
Got lucky or an uninformed agent. When you try to use it again I bet it wont work.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Actually, I have been able to make changes to tickets with the companion cert and keep the cert, but paying the change fee. They state that this is not possible, but in practice they are actually more flexible. You need to speak with a special desk, I think it's called "promotions" or something.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Actually, I have been able to make changes to tickets with the companion cert and keep the cert, but paying the change fee. They state that this is not possible, but in practice they are actually more flexible. You need to speak with a special desk, I think it's called "promotions" or something.
I was able to change flights on a companion certificate following a schedule change that ordinarily would permit a free change (I did not enquire about cancellations and getting the certificate back).

On the primary thread topic - I'm not sure this is a DOT violation on the 24 hour risk free cancellation. If you cancel within the 24 hour window, you'll get the cash back that you used to pay for the ticket but the AmEx companion certificate is basically a BOGO coupon and I don't see where in the DOT 24 hour regs it says that a coupon would have to be refunded.

A bit frustrating for sure but I don't think it's a DOT violation from what I can tell (IANAL though).
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

My pitch as to why it is covered by the regulation - the various DOT materials talk about being able to cancel "without penalty", and refunding original form of payment. Seems that if I have to give up a certificate that is a penalty, and the certificate is part of my payment for the flight.

Also, the intent of the rule is to allow passengers to book a flight, then shop around to see if they can find anything better. That purpose is defeated if I have to irrevocably give up my certificate in order to book the flight.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

On the primary thread topic - I'm not sure this is a DOT violation on the 24 hour risk free cancellation. If you cancel within the 24 hour window, you'll get the cash back that you used to pay for the ticket but the AmEx companion certificate is basically a BOGO coupon and I don't see where in the DOT 24 hour regs it says that a coupon would have to be refunded.

A bit frustrating for sure but I don't think it's a DOT violation from what I can tell (IANAL though).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
This morning I bought a ticket and used the AMEX companion certificate. I first called DL and wanted to know if the certificate would be redeposited should I cancel my ticket within the '24 hours'. I was told yes, the certificate could be used at another time.

It looks like the purchase will remain so I likely will not be able to test this for myself.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
To follow up on this thread, about two weeks ago I reused the companion certificate that I had used and then risk-free cancelled in June last year. The certificate showed as Open in my wallet, though it did show an Exchanged Ticket #. I was able to select the cert and redeem it online again with no issues.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did it get restored automatically? When I did a risk-free cancellation online recently, it did not get restored and I had to call in to get it restored. The agent said no problem, but said he had to go through some DL office in Dallas to do it. Haven't tried using it yet, but it is showing as unused again now.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called in when RFCing the original ticket, and they transferred me to a desk that deals specifically with the Amex companion certs.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Data point: Just got off w/ Plat line and they re-deposited the Cert, no questions on a flight I booked a couple hours ago and realized the dates wouldn't work.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Got lucky or an uninformed agent. When you try to use it again I bet it wont work.
To close the loop on this, reused it without a problem.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Are people still having to call in to get their companion tickets restored after using RFC online?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by trek87
Are people still having to call in to get their companion tickets restored after using RFC online?
I would. I would not cancel online at all, I would call in to make sure it is done properly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.