Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ORD Announces Major Expansion, DL Wants In On It

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD Announces Major Expansion, DL Wants In On It

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
With only 3 international legacy airlines, I really think that all 3 of them need to provide nonstop service between the major business destinations in the country. I understand that there are advantages to having hubs in 2nd tier cities like MSP and DTW, but it's pathetic that I can't get a flight from LAX or SFO to ORD on one of the largest airlines in the country & world.
U.S. hub economics demanding both gauge and frequency do not support the kind of single-carrier route network you want.

Turn the question around: Why do you need to fly Delta when there are six carriers flying Bay Area-CHI non-stop and six carriers flying LAX-CHI non-stop?

If you want 'everyone to everywhere' you're 1/2 a world away and thirty years too late. Think Soviet days and Aeroflot.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by WWads
ATL isn't nearly as bad when it comes to WX.
Except in the summer.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC

Interestingly, embedded in the story was the following comment: "Delta, for instance, after all but abandoning O'Hare a few years ago, now uses eight gates and wants a "significant' expansion."
Good. I look forward to seeing the Sky Club even more crowded than it already is.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you want 'everyone to everywhere' you're 1/2 a world away and thirty years too late. Think Soviet days and Aeroflot.
I don't want everyone to everywhere. I think that ORD is a market like JFK and LAX that can and should support all 3 legacy carries having direct service to the other major business airports (JFK/LAX/SFO/ maybe BOS). I'm not asking for ORD-ABQ or ORD-DEN or something like that.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Good. I look forward to seeing the Sky Club even more crowded than it already is.
There wasn't an empty seat on the night of the 13th. Agent standing at the door to keep track of people leaving so she could let people in who were waiting for a seat. Ended up using a pass to get into the United club, which was packed, but still had open seats (and wasn't boiling hot and stuffy).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Do you really think DL wants more Europe over what it already has? I can't imagine Europe is anything but fierce competition out of ORD and DL has no connections on the stateside. The only reason they do the winter flight to CDG is to take over for AF. I do recall that they were thinking of doing winter LHR as well but nothing ever came of that.
Chi has a huge local O&D market, don't really think they would have to worry about connections stateside.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Ive had to fly through here a lot on AA this summer- not a single on time departure, not one.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
DL has 60ish flights daily from ORD & a small crew base (I think.) Expanding to SEA is probably next on the list and I could eventually see LAX, RDU, CUN, AMS. Even a return to MCO would be cool
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Mayor Emmanuel and ORD officials announced a major expansion of terminal space at ORD today. T5 gets 9 new int'l gates with one to accommodate A380s. T2 gets demolished, replaced and expanded. Expansion also planned for T1 and T3.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ens-soon-after

Interestingly, embedded in the story was the following comment: "Delta, for instance, after all but abandoning O'Hare a few years ago, now uses eight gates and wants a "significant' expansion."

Very interesting as I thought DL had no interested in ORD other than connecting it to hubs. I wonder what they mean by "significant." Let the speculation begin!
Increase in what they have plus LAX/SEA and probably RDU and BOS.

Delta's goal has been to get into the top ten markets from LAX/SEA
ORD is the only one DL isn't in from LAX and DFW/ORD are the missing links for SEA.
For BOS its one of if not the top markets and I see DL wanting to be in it (and if they could back in BOS-DCA)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
U.S. hub economics demanding both gauge and frequency do not support the kind of single-carrier route network you want.

Turn the question around: Why do you need to fly Delta when there are six carriers flying Bay Area-CHI non-stop and six carriers flying LAX-CHI non-stop?

Its not about the PAX wanting it as much as it is about the airline needing it.

LAX-ORD is going to be a pretty big market and not having it makes it harder to get corporate contracts and HVCs away from other airlines. Delta's biggest holes in LA right now are ORD, WAS, and IAH.

LAX-ORD, SEA-DFW, SEA-ORD are perfect routes for the C100.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Despite the competition, the LAX route could make sense. Similarly, starting a SEA flight for TPAC connections could also make sense, although many of these passengers are already well served on DL by DTW or MSP connections, so that one would want to count the Asian destinations that are served by DL nonstops from SEA but not DTW. A negative aspect is the current TPAC scheduling, with many connections requiring very early connecting flights from MSP (and therefore ORD).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:52 am

just because you think that

doesn't mean that Delta thinks it would be a good idea or that it would be profitable for them to do that. There are plenty of options from OrD to those cities, no airline can be all things to all people. Airlines have limited resources and have to make the best choices to maximize returns from them. obviously Delta has decided that being the 4th or 5th carrier in a heavily competitive market isn't a good idea and they think they can make more$$ by putting their resources elsewhere.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't want everyone to everywhere. I think that ORD is a market like JFK and LAX that can and should support all 3 legacy carries having direct service to the other major business airports (JFK/LAX/SFO/ maybe BOS). I'm not asking for ORD-ABQ or ORD-DEN or something like that.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:57 am

TPAC connections?

all the cities that you can fly to from SEA on DL you can fly to nonstop from ORD on your choice of 2-3 airlines, depending on route. If you MUST be on DL, then DTW and MSP offer good connectivity. Anybody connecting through SEA from ORD to asia will do so for lower prices, which isn't exactly what DL needs to attract to make these flights profitable. I'd think any potential SEA-ORD route would be targeted to local travelers/ local O/D. Or at least that would be the goal.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Despite the competition, the LAX route could make sense. Similarly, starting a SEA flight for TPAC connections could also make sense, although many of these passengers are already well served on DL by DTW or MSP connections, so that one would want to count the Asian destinations that are served by DL nonstops from SEA but not DTW. A negative aspect is the current TPAC scheduling, with many connections requiring very early connecting flights from MSP (and therefore ORD).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Bring back ORD-PBI on the 727! Anyone else remember that gem?
ORD-MCO on the DC-8

SDF
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Fascinating discussion, but I think that everyone realizes that the mayor's announced plans are of a very preliminary, first draft nature. What eventually gets built could, and probably will, be dramatically different.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I last booked a TPAC flight from ORD on DL, flights via SEA were offered via an AS codeshare with a DL flight number. I recently flew such an itinerary via SEA and AS is using an AA gate in T3 at ORD along with AA's baggage claim area.

Not sure how much longer DL/AS codeshare will continue; anyone know when the contract goes up for renewal or ends?

An ORD-SEA flight which is timed to the TPAC connections makes most sense.

SDF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.