Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight DL160 MSP-AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Flight DL160 MSP-AMS

We arrive MSP at 10:20Am and leave business class for Amsterdam DL160 almost 5 hours later at 3:11pm.

We will have access to all of the Skyclubs at MSP. We understand that there are two, one at the beginning of the F Concourse and the other on Concourse C, next to Gate C12. Which is better? At least today our flight left from Gate G4.

Now DL160 is billed as a dinner flight. How long into the flight before they serve? I want to time a light lunch based on dinner serving time. Also, I'd like a 3 to 4 hour block of time in flight to sleep. If they get us up an hour before landing, that leaves 7 hours to eat and sleep. Sound like getting 4 hours of sleep won't happen because during meal time cabins are noisy and so much is happening. We have the two middle seats and are at the mercy of aisle happenings.

Back to easier things, lunch. Assuming Delta lounge food isn't much, what is your favorite MSP lunch spot? The shopping is good (too good) at MSP and I'd like to pull my wife away for a few minutes to a sit-down lunch.

Thanks in advance. You guys and gals are always awesome.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
My favorite MSP restaurant is an Asian fusion place called Shoyu. It's on G concourse across from the cluster of gates that are G2-G6.

A lot of people (me included) prefer the C SkyClub. However the one at the beginning of F is near your departure gate. If your gate isn't G4 it will still be a lower G gate.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jul 14, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
If you aren't into experiencing the whole "D1 Experience" you can ask for an express service. They basically bring you everything at once. Eat and then go to sleep -- assuming you have a good sleep mask (one like this, not the crap in the kit) and can tune out the cabin noise. It is what I do on overnight flights -- I want the sleep, don't care about the meal...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
The F/G SkyClub will be the one closest to your departure gate.
Yesterday 160 flew out of Gate 9 - today it was Gate 4.
All the concourses have kiosks with newspapers magazines and snax.
The Main Terminal starting at the juncture of the F/G (SC) and running
north to the junction of the C & D Concourses has the Rodeo Drive Gift Shops.
Something for everyone expensive and then more expensive typical airport
gift shop fair.
Being local I have never arrived early at the airport to have a meal before
flight at any restaurant venue.
West coast 3+ hours East coast 3+ hours Hawaii 8.5 hours Alaska 6 hours
Unless a red eye of sorts a meal is served in F Business class.

NOW IF your flight 160 is departing out of a "G" gate higher than 11 or 12
consider the SC on the C Concourse.
The G Concourse at Gates 18-19-20-21-22 take the short cut bypass between
the two concourses (at best a 3 minute walk faster with the moving walkways)
across to the C Concourse - SC at Gate 10.
The C SC is the quieter of the two less polish brass and chrome more room
for discrete small gatherings self service bar and you can actually see airplanes
landing and departing unlike the F/G blind sided coat closet !

With 5 hours of ground connection time gift shopping and a bite to eat in mind
you will have more than adequate time to get a feel for it all.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The C Sky Club is more elegant feeling and quieter. Surdyk's has been my favorite place, though I heard they were closing. If they are still open, the food is really good, and so is the wine.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The C Sky Club is more elegant feeling and quieter.
Agree, like to add that only in the F/G Sky Club boarding will be announced for the Int'l flights but you always can move from the C club to the F/G one onces departure is getting closer.

Almost 5 hours is pretty long to spend at a SC & shopping at MSP. Why not leave your luggage at MSP take the METRO Blue Line and go for some shopping at the mall of America.

DL160 dinner; As soon as the sealtbelt lines are off the FA's will get up and start prepare the D1 food stuff. with a 3:11PM departure i would expect they start serving at around 4:00PM.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Grouchy

Almost 5 hours is pretty long to spend at a SC & shopping at MSP. Why not leave your luggage at MSP take the METRO Blue Line and go for some shopping at the mall of America.
Or a walk in Minnehaha Park - also only a few minutes by train. Depending on the weather, it's quite lovely.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If you have Priority Pass, the MSP Escape lounge is great. Better than any SC. It is near the entrance to the E gates.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
If you have Priority Pass, the MSP Escape lounge is great. Better than any SC. It is near the entrance to the E gates.
What is so great about it. My pass is for one. Is it worth the $28 or so to get her in.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:21 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by twohundredfifty
Or a walk in Minnehaha Park - also only a few minutes by train. Depending on the weather, it's quite lovely.
And, if you're going to do that you could grab lunch at Sea Salt Eatery right by Minehaha Falls. It's an awesome little seafood spot right in the park by the falls and a great spot for lunch on a nice day. Like towhundredfifty said, it's a quick couple stop train ride from MSP if you can throw your bags in a locker for a few hours.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:25 am

Hmmm.have 24 hours to kill in Minneapolis next month..might spend some time @Minnehaha Park
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
And, if you're going to do that you could grab lunch at Sea Salt Eatery right by Minehaha Falls. It's an awesome little seafood spot right in the park by the falls and a great spot for lunch on a nice day. Like towhundredfifty said, it's a quick couple stop train ride from MSP if you can throw your bags in a locker for a few hours.
There are lockers right near the F/G Sky Club and a place where you can leave bags (maybe ~$10/bag?) for a few hours at the north end of the baggage claim level. If you use the lockers, which are accessed with a credit card, be sure to allow some extra time to remove your bags. I have seen a situation where a passenger had problems reopening the locker and maintenance service had to be called.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
If you use the lockers, which are accessed with a credit card, be sure to allow some extra time to remove your bags. I have seen a situation where a passenger had problems reopening the locker and maintenance service had to be called.
Lol! the last thing I would want before boarding an international flight!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
There are lockers right near the F/G Sky Club and a place where you can leave bags (maybe ~$10/bag?) for a few hours at the north end of the baggage claim level. If you use the lockers, which are accessed with a credit card, be sure to allow some extra time to remove your bags. I have seen a situation where a passenger had problems reopening the locker and maintenance service had to be called.
There are also lockers available for free in the C SC club. (lockers are carry-on luggage format & you need to leave an ID behind.)
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Of note if you leave the airside zone for walk in -haha park or the MOA the
Blue Line Metro fare is valid for 2 and half hours travel round trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.