Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wandering Aramean: DL agent in uniform using thumb counter at QR Gate

Old Jul 12, 16, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter

From our very own sbm12:

In the ever more bizarre story of Delta’s behavior related to Qatar Airways’ service in Atlanta, it appears that the home-town carrier is, well, escalating its efforts. A reader provided this video to me taken in Atlanta of a Delta employee at the Qatar Airways departure gate. Apparently the same employee has been at the gate multiple times, always with a counter in hand to track the number of passengers boarding the aircraft.

<snip>
http://blog.wandr.me/2016/07/delta-c...ngers-atlanta/

In all seriousness, why not send some 20-something RM analyst/entry level corporate employee or even an agent out of union that would be more poised if confronted? I'm on the U.S. carriers' side of all this, but wow this really is petty on their part.
Old Jul 12, 16, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Lol, could she have been more obvious about what she was doing?
Old Jul 12, 16, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You (and Seth) are looking for drama where there is none. DL is collecting real-time info on competitor passenger counts. There's a long history. NW did it with DL after DL bought Pan Am's DTW-LGW route in ~1991.
Old Jul 12, 16, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
You (and Seth) are looking for drama where there is none. DL is collecting real-time info on competitor passenger counts. There's a long history. NW did it with DL after DL bought Pan Am's DTW-LGW route in ~1991.
Tons of other ways they could obtain it through services they pay thousands per month for enterprise level subscriptions, would just take 90-120 days or so. And not at all surprised, NW was the more petty one going into this. All the NW loyalists would say "NW didn't like sharing their sandbox" as some testament to NWs offensiveness as a competitor, but the better answer is NWs network had such little value, especially to anyone other than NW. I still get a chuckle at NW starting DFW-LGA on [their scarce] 319s in response to AA LGA-MSP in 2007.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:07 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Oh my! Delta's collecting information on competitor performance?! The shock! The horror!
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
Oh my! Delta's collecting information on competitor performance?! The shock! The horror!
Not at all shocking. I think what is shocking to myself (and others) is the manner in which DL is going about it. Truthfully, I would have thought DL would have a more poised and sophisticated mechanism in place. Why they would send someone IN UNIFORM who isn't poised when challenged is plain stupid. I expected better from DL. And yes it sounds like this is a longstanding NW "tradition".
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:12 am

Programs: delta dm
I want to be the clicker person for delta. Sweet way to make a living.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:16 am

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
Not at all shocking. I think what is shocking to myself (and others) is the manner in which DL is going about it. Truthfully, I would have thought DL would have a more poised and sophisticated mechanism in place. Why they would send someone IN UNIFORM who isn't poised when challenged is plain stupid. I expected better from DL. And yes it sounds like this is a longstanding NW "tradition".
Doing that in uniform is either dumb (e.g. they didn't think that was an issue) or deliberately in your face. Either one is not complimentary to DL.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:17 am

I'd rather have it obvious as a uniformed employee clearly doing it in the open, than some shady act of "corporate espionage"

Should they have found a more poised person yes, but it's better than someone in a hoodie and sunglasses sitting near the gate trying not to look suspicious! Then you have an actual scandal instead of a made up one.

DL is I'm sure just trying to build a case that there is no way that QR can possibly have enough load factor to maintain the flight if they cared about profits.

Has DL started some rather petty routes against AS, yes, but they did it with a CR7 or 737 and the routes were maybe 1000 miles instead of a 7500 mile flight out of sheer spite on a 777/380
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
If would be funny if this employee is a double agent and being paid by Qatar to increase the passenger count.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:21 am

Programs: delta dm
Can you imagine the hiring process for the delta gate clicker position...looking for someone with a minimum of 3 yrs of clicker experience and a background in secret service and or following your ex around. Also must take criticism from others well.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Bloggers are the new frontier of journalism! DL collects info on competitor performance! Stop the presses!

I can't think of a more nothing story.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:45 am

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
DL is I'm sure just trying to build a case that there is no way that QR can possibly have enough load factor to maintain the flight if they cared about profits.
Of course it's why they are doing it. And one really can't blame DL for that.
Old Jul 12, 16, 9:01 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
I sincerely doubt that DL thinks that this is in anyway not obvious. Perhaps they are trying to send a message to QR.
Old Jul 12, 16, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
What I wonder is: since the feds have already announced their disinterest in this issue, what can Delta usefully do with this info?

Search this Thread