Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wandering Aramean: DL agent in uniform using thumb counter at QR Gate

Wandering Aramean: DL agent in uniform using thumb counter at QR Gate

Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by avcritic
With enough social media spending every time the word subsidy shows up on a post dozens jump in to put out the ME3 are subsidized theory.

Don't worry this subsidy party is coming to an end on its own. Without oil money these regimes have more pressing issues than dumping capacity and lowering prices in aviation. EY and QR may drag this issue little bit longer than EK. For their model to work all other airlines should stop international flying or go out of business. That didn't happen with the exception of some US and EU route cuts.

Bad part for US, Boeing put all its WB eggs in ME3 basket. So lets prepare our-self for another American Inc reorganization/restructuring.
Unless I'm totally unaware of the entire world moving to electric or fuel cell cars in the next few years, I don't know how you think the subsidy party is coming to an end.

The governments of the UAE and Qatar will continue to subsidize QR/EK/ET until A: enough competition has been forced out of the market B: the US/EU governments halt their expansion due to the subsidies.

The model that the ME3 have is not sustainable in a non subsidized environment with the current competition. I'm sorry DOH/AUH/DXB are very limited O/D markets. They connect virtually all of their passengers. The only advantage they have is price and service, all of which they can provide due to the subsidies.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
Unless I'm totally unaware of the entire world moving to electric or fuel cell cars in the next few years, I don't know how you think the subsidy party is coming to an end.
While I don't think that the subsidies will end anytime soon, it isn't because there is no risk from alternate energy sources.

Originally Posted by kop84
The only advantage they have is price and service, all of which they can provide due to the subsidies.
They also have a locational advantage for some traffic flows. This advantage does not, IMO, extend to the US market, but it is significant for the EU market.

You forgot about deepest hole Boeing is digging as we speak called B777X. It is a $10 Billion pit totally dependent on EK.
Boeing could come up with $10bn by stopping stock buybacks for less than two years.

If every other program is printing money, I would agree it is worth risk. B787 may never see profit,
Whether B787 sees profitability is irrelevant to your premise that the loss of the ME3 would require some sort of bankruptcy or bailout. Even if it never breaks even, the B787 is either currently cash flow positive or will be very soon. Even the most skeptical about the the overall program profitability acknowledge that it will generate significant cash in the near to mid-term.

and there are not many countries BDS can sell without compromising our own security.
Good thing that the US spends roughly as much as the next 9 biggest spenders combined.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Whether B787 sees profitability is irrelevant to your premise that the loss of the ME3 would require some sort of bankruptcy or bailout. Even if it never breaks even, the B787 is either currently cash flow positive or will be very soon. Even the most skeptical about the the overall program profitability acknowledge that it will generate significant cash in the near to mid-term.
I was answering to your false risk mitigation assertions that B has lot of programs to cover 77W lack of sales or a 777X money pit.

787 - Program may never be positive
737NG - Sells for $22 Million a plane
77W - Courtesy RA used frames are $10Million. Every buyer is scrambling
777X - Entire program unsure
737MAX - How smooth EIS and quality control will be (Hope not B788 repeat)
BDS - Very less external sales, shares domestic sales with others, SpaceX and others eating into its business.

May be a pessimistic view but not totally out of possibility.

Imagine a BCA totally focussed on B787 and B737MAX with a slightly improved B77W.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I was answering to your false risk mitigation assertions that B has lot of programs to cover 77W lack of sales or a 777X money pit.
It isn't false.

787 - Program may never be positive
That is irrelevant. What matters is cash flow and it is cash flow positive or will be within a year or so.

737NG - Sells for $22 Million a plane
At healthy margins.

May be a pessimistic view but not totally out of possibility.
Possible, not probable.

Imagine a BCA totally focussed on B787 and B737MAX with a slightly improved B77W.
That seems like a solid, focused portfolio concentrated on the sweet spots of the market. Not sure what else they'd need to offer, save maybe a cheaper-to-buy, mid-range widebody.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
That is irrelevant. What matters is cash flow and it is cash flow positive or will be within a year or so.
At healthy margins.
So selling

B787 at $110 Million (A320 list price)
B737NG at $22 Million (ATR72 list price)
B777X at $160 Million ($400 Million to build one)

is healthy business???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.