FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Good view of Alps on approach to MUC from ATL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1777402-good-view-alps-approach-muc-atl.html)

BostonGuy Jul 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Good view of Alps on approach to MUC from ATL?

Taking my mom and aunt to Europe, their first experience in BE. (Oops, I mean D1.)

I initially had them side by side in the center (B and C), so they could have fun chatting and comparing notes on the food, etc.

But if the views of the Alps are great, should I move them each to D seats on right side of plane?

Thanks. Any other suggestions to make their first D1 flight fun appreciated.

flyerCO Jul 10, 2016 6:18 pm

I'd ask them if they want a view for a brief bit, that may not appear at all, or to sit together for the length of the flight. I'm betting they'd rather be next to each other. You're setting yourself/them up for disappointment when you pick a seat to see something along the way. The plane will fly a different route, there will be clouds, etc.

GlobeTrttr83 Jul 11, 2016 12:07 am

Your best view would be from a car or train on the way to Salzburg from Munich, honestly. You're more likely to have a cloudy approach, obscuring the mountains.

us2 Jul 11, 2016 12:56 am

I'd keep the original seats in the center. There's no guarantee of being able to see anything and the window seats are really difficult if you're traveling with someone and want to talk to them during the flight. If you want to see the Alps, Innsbruck, Garmisch or Berchtesgaden are alternatives to Salzburg. All are easily drivable from Munich as a day trip and it's a very nice drive.

KDCAflyer Jul 11, 2016 12:58 am

Originally Posted by us2 (Post 26898766)
I'd keep the original seats in the center. There's no guarantee of being able to see anything and the window seats are really difficult if you're traveling with someone and want to talk to them during the flight. If you want to see the Alps, Innsbruck, Garmisch or Berchtesgaden are alternatives to Salzburg. All are easily drivable from Munich as a day trip and it's a very nice drive.

In Garmisch right now. I can definitely confirm that the views are extraordinary. More impressive than around Berchtesgaden IMO.

WhiskeyBravo Jul 11, 2016 2:28 am

Views on approach to MUC can be great of there is Foehn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind
Otherwise, there is a haze which often obscures views of the Alps from the city.
It also depends on the wind direction (landing runway and heading). In my recollections, I often had good views from the left side of the airplane when all the factors combined.
(source: lived there for 3.5 years and flew often)

Re: seating - you take the window and put them in the center. Sitting together for the first 8 hours will be way more fun than a shot at 5 minutes of nice views. If there are, you're sitting at the window so they can gaze over and you can move your big head out of the way for them to see! :)
In terms of other tips....
- Remind them they can ask for sparkling wine or champagne (check the menu). IME they don't bring the Champagne on the cart unless you ask for it. I've also been served _not champagne_ after seeing it written as such on menu and ordering it as such, check the bottle they bring and say something!
- There is a warm cookie service mid-way through the flight, if you aren't sleeping. If they think that sounds tasty (they are, when fresh) you can ask the FA to leave one when they do the service even if you are snoozing.
- When the three of you land, buy a group ticket for the S-Bahn to get into the city instead of individual tickets (cheaper). You can put the touchscreen ticket machines in English to find this.

BostonGuy Jul 11, 2016 3:12 am

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 26898767)
In Garmisch right now. I can definitely confirm that the views are extraordinary. More impressive than around Berchtesgaden IMO.

Great! Thanks all. Our plan is to land and take the train directly to Garmisch, perhaps have lunch, and then the train to Innsbruck for overnight.

WWads, did you see lockers at the station if we wanted to check our bags for an hour?

KDCAflyer Jul 11, 2016 3:19 am

Originally Posted by BostonGuy (Post 26899052)
Great! Thanks all. Our plan is to land and take the train directly to Garmisch, perhaps have lunch, and then the train to Innsbruck for overnight.

WWads, did you see lockers at the station if we wanted to check our bags for an hour?

I wouldn't know. We rented a car for our trip. Lots of European stations tend to have lockers, but Garmisch's station looks like a smaller one.

If you're looking for a hotel, the Hotel Föhrenhof has good rates and a great staff. It's a few km outside of Garmisch, but is much quieter than the ones in town, and has great views. It's right next to a rail stop as well (Farchant).

TrojanTraveler Jul 11, 2016 9:16 am

While you really won't see much at landing, and it can vary on the routing, but from ATL you will likely cross the Alps for the last 45 min or so for the flight. If it's clear, and it's daylight, they will definitely be visible from both sides of the plane, with maybe a slight edge to the right side.

I often fly this route in winter (skiing), so not much to see then since it's dark. Not sure when you are travelling.

publicmsu Jul 11, 2016 9:20 am

We recently made the trip to Munich from Detroit and I didn't see a whole lot of the Alps on approach to Munich. The best views we ended up having were from the car. We took two day trips to the south, and the drives were quite incredible. The first was a trip down to Mittenwald and the other to Neuschwanstein. It's really quintessential Bavaria as you make your way to both destinations.

us2 Jul 11, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by BostonGuy (Post 26899052)

There are lockers at Garmisch per the DB website bahn.de

LegalTender Jul 11, 2016 12:25 pm

The Alps scenery on the 45-minute run MUC down to LJU (Ljubljana, Slovenia) is terrific.

For some reason, the haze mentioned above dissipates.

danielonn Jul 11, 2016 2:48 pm

I have had some beautiful views of the Alps. On one of my flights I flew via Munich and had a spectacular view with not a cloud in the sky.

But on your flight day there could be clouds especially in the afternoon in the summer due to thunder storms just like flying over the Rocky Mountains. YMMV.

danielonn Jul 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler (Post 26900436)
While you really won't see much at landing, and it can vary on the routing, but from ATL you will likely cross the Alps for the last 45 min or so for the flight. If it's clear, and it's daylight, they will definitely be visible from both sides of the plane, with maybe a slight edge to the right side.

I often fly this route in winter (skiing), so not much to see then since it's dark. Not sure when you are travelling.

I think they may fly you over Switzerland think Zurich, to the Brenner Oberland Region over into Germany or they may fly you a bit north over Turin to Germany depending on the winds. Or they may fly you over central Switzerland over Stutgart into MUC. Its hard to say but you can go to Flight Aware a day or two before your flight to get a general idea on the routing. I would get a window( on the A Side0 even if you may not see the Alps but you are more than likely to see it if you have a morning arrival due to the clear skies.