Community
Wiki Posts
Search

INTL to INTL Connection ATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
Forgive me for bumping a slightly older thread, but it seems relevant to me!

I've got a LHR-ATL-MEX flight later in August (VS-DL), and the thread seems to suggest that my checked luggage will be sent through to MEX without need for picking up and rechecking, as long as the purple ITI tags are attached.

Does anyone know if these are handed out by VS at LHR? Given they use a shared space with DL I'm hoping that they will have these tags available. Tried asking on DL twitter but got no response so far.
It's dependsif CBP us allowing ITI for VS-DL flights. If so then yes, have it tagged for ITI.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: VS Gold
Cheers FlyerCO. Delta Twitter replied last night saying that customers with international connections are now required to collect bags and recheck them.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Cheers FlyerCO. Delta Twitter replied last night saying that customers with international connections are now required to collect bags and recheck them.
For non DL/DL? DL/DL I know is still going.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:38 am

They didn't mention non-DL/DL specifically, my query to them was:

"Hi, can you guys confirm if I have to pickup & recheck luggage on a LHR-ATL-MEX flight? Arriving on VS, connecting to DL. I'm getting conflicting info about International -> International connections and whether bags need to be picked up at ATL."

Below is their response verbatim:

"Customers with international connections/destinations beyond ATL are now required to collect their baggage and clear it through Customs, prior to dropping off the baggage at the transfer belt, outside the Customs Hall."

This contradicts what is on the VS website, and I've now messaged Virgin asking for clarification.

How confusing!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes, CBP has gotten p***y with ITI with multiple carriers.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:11 am

Seems daft as in theory my luggage wouldn't even see the light of day in the US if they wanted it so. Ah well. If that's the way it is, then so be it. On my return I'm doing DL-DL via JFK so hopefully they will be able to send it all the way through.

Who knows perhaps the rules may change come August.

At least I have GE/TSA-Pre to shave down the wait times.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Seems daft as in theory my luggage wouldn't even see the light of day in the US if they wanted it so. Ah well. If that's the way it is, then so be it. On my return I'm doing DL-DL via JFK so hopefully they will be able to send it all the way through.

Who knows perhaps the rules may change come August.

At least I have GE/TSA-Pre to shave down the wait times.
I know DL/DL works. I've done it a number of times taking advantage of great EU-S AMERICA D1 fares.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know DL/DL works. I've done it a number of times taking advantage of great EU-S AMERICA D1 fares.
are you sure this works for JFK? To my knowledge only ATL. DL refused ITI for my last connection in JFK.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarLim
are you sure this works for JFK? To my knowledge only ATL. DL refused ITI for my last connection in JFK.
JFK and DTW both offer ITI for DL/DL flights.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Twitter said the same thing three times last year and I got ITI. I believe they are not aware of this setup.

Last november, an agent at CDG during check-in told me that DL at JFK was going to start ITI "Soon", however, it's been almost half year since and nothing has happened.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:49 am

Delta ATL: International to International connection + Minute Suites (Weird question)

Hi, FlyerTalk folks! Long-time listener, first-time caller with a bit of a specific question.

My boyfriend and I have splurged on a vacation to Cartagena, Colombia. We live in Seoul, so we'll be flying out of Seoul with an overnight connection in Atlanta. (ICN-ATL-CTG).

Now, here's where stuff gets tricky: We had planned to just stay at an airport hotel overnight. However, unbeknownst to us as Americans overseas, we didn't realize that this itinerary has us staying overnight in Atlanta the weekend of the Super Bowl! Airport hotels are $500+ for the night, and there's no way we can afford that.

So in an attempt to salvage this itinerary, we've made an 8-hour overnight reservation at the "Minute Suites" in Terminal B. However, I'm wondering if we will be able to get to Terminal B right after our first flight (to stay overnight in the Minute Suites) as international transfer passengers with a flight the next day. Sorry for the wall of text, but my questions are as follows:

1) As passengers connecting from one international flight to another, do we have to clear customs/immigration, go through international arrivals, and then go back through the same security line as people checking in from ATL in order to get from the international terminal to Terminal B?
2) If we do get spat out at International Arrivals and have to do this, can we even go through security / immigration with a departure date/time more than 12 hours in the future?
3) Is it possible to make this work?!

For further info, this is our itinerary:
DL46 ICN to ATL: Arrives ATL @ 6:30 PM 2/1
DL989 ATL to CTG: Departs ATL @ 9:48 AM 2/2

Thanks so much for your wisdom, frequent flyers!

Last edited by Charolastra; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:17 am Reason: Adding a little additional info!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:25 am

Hey! I also live in Seoul and make this ICN-ATL flight a few times a year.

Once you arrive, you hit up immigration and actually exit to the terminal. You will have access to the entire airport as I believe you will pop out in E.

You do have to claim your bags but since you are connecting you just simply deposit them for checked baggage again. You do go through security again but not in arrivals but rather underground in connections.

The minute suits are nice and hourly as well.
Lehava likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the question really is whether TSA airport security at ATL E (or F) will allow them to go airside with boarding passes for the next day after exiting customs.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:46 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I don't ever remember having to show a boarding pass to get thru TSA security after arriving int'l to get to a connecting flight at ATL concourse E arrivals. Is concourse F arrivals also internal, or are you dumped outside and have to start over again, which would require a BP, of course?

My concern would be more about whether ICN check-in agents will tag your bags all the way thru to CTG or not, which would likely require you to leave the airport if they don't.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I don’t know about ATL, but at MSP you cannot go through security after an international arrival unless you have a same-day onward boarding pass.

When I was volunteering at MSP during Super Bowl last year (2018) I met a couple in a similar situation to the OP’s. A couple in their 70s, they had not arrived on an international flight but had driven up from rural Iowa, knowing that they could not get affordable accommodations. They spent the night in the airport, outside security. I showed them the quietest area available to them and got them Delta blankets (economy class, not Westin!) and pillows. They were a hardy farm couple and toughed it out, as I suspect the OP and boyfriend may have to do.

Edited to add:
OP, which night of Super Bowl weekend will you be spending in Atlanta? In MSP on the Sunday night after the Super Bowl TSA was allowing passengers with Monday morning tickets to go through security and spend the night airside. Among other things, it was a way to reduce the security lines on the Monday after Super Bowl, which was the largest volume of travelers ever to pass through MSP.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jan 1, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.