Community
Wiki Posts
Search

delayed flight to Europe question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

delayed flight to Europe question

On DL #403 July 01 JFK to LHR in Delta Econ Comfort. Flight was to depart at 10:30PM, but departed at 5:50AM on July 02. Question I have is where do I start in order to try and get some compensation?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
Start by noting reasons for the delay; that is, what were you told vs what is listed on Flight Aware. You will need to know this.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One might start with understanding why it was delayed. For weather, or for incoming crew delayed by weather, don't expect much. A delay for a mechanical might proceed with your direct request online for specific voucher value or SkyMiles consideration.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jul 7, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also note that since it's a DL flight that EU261 doesn't apply since the flight was from the US on a non-EU carrier.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I was at JFK that day - it was a mess because of weather. Since it was weather, YMMV, but I think it's going to be a long road to hoe for compensation.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also note that since it's a DL flight that EU261 doesn't apply since the flight was from the US on a non-EU carrier.
Does anyone else find it crazy that the EU has better protection for travelers than the US. My company buys fares from the EU and the US. The price is the same. When will US travelers get a similar deal that the EU gets?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
Does anyone else find it crazy that the EU has better protection for travelers than the US. My company buys fares from the EU and the US. The price is the same. When will US travelers get a similar deal that the EU gets?
It doesn't surprise me. Most EU countries are very tilted toward consumer protection. In the US we seem to go the opposite direction and are tilted towards company protection.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

It was a big weather mess. Irony paid 35,000 miles more to fly out on Friday vs that Saturday. Wish I could get some miles back.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by scongro
I was at JFK that day - it was a mess because of weather. Since it was weather, YMMV, but I think it's going to be a long road to hoe for compensation.
LOL. It's "a long row to hoe." The metaphor is agricultural. (If you've done much actual hoeing in your garden, you'll appreciate it.)
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
It was a big weather mess. Irony paid 35,000 miles more to fly out on Friday vs that Saturday. Wish I could get some miles back.
I'll probably get a lot of disagreement from a lot of the regulars, but imo you shouldn't DEMAND compensation, and even asking for it is a bit presumptuous

in your case you can clearly put some value on your frustration, so I'd actually go with the "irony" approach ... use the "Contact Us" link on the website, and say something along the lines of "I recognize that the delay was a result of the NYC weather, but if I'd been able to predict that I'd be arriving Sat evening anyway, I'd have booked the Sat daytime flight for 35k fewer miles ..."
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I wish that the US had a law similar to EU261. With all the mergers (monopoly building) and unpunished corporate malfeasance, it seems like we're headed back to the days of the Gilded Age.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:22 am

It was one of the worst weather events in NYC in the last 5 years. Unless you can show Delta has god like powers to influence the weather I don't think you're due anything.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:35 am

I live in the city but am out of town right now. Did another Superstorm Sandy hit? Or a 26.8" of snow blizzard hit? To be the worst weather in 5 years has me worried. 😬

Originally Posted by Jeff767
It was one of the worst weather events in NYC in the last 5 years. Unless you can show Delta has god like powers to influence the weather I don't think you're due anything.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that this was likely weather-related, EU261 would not have provided for much (hotel and food vouchers). There's no blanket provision for cash compensation in EU261 irregardless of the delay cause.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by hotturnip
LOL. It's "a long row to hoe." The metaphor is agricultural. (If you've done much actual hoeing in your garden, you'll appreciate it.)
Hah!!! Long road to hoe is a common misconstruction of this phrase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.