delayed flight to Europe question

Old Jul 7, 16, 2:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 178
delayed flight to Europe question

On DL #403 July 01 JFK to LHR in Delta Econ Comfort. Flight was to depart at 10:30PM, but departed at 5:50AM on July 02. Question I have is where do I start in order to try and get some compensation?
ADeutsch is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:52 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SDF
Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
Posts: 280
Start by noting reasons for the delay; that is, what were you told vs what is listed on Flight Aware. You will need to know this.
Policypeddler is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 2:54 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
One might start with understanding why it was delayed. For weather, or for incoming crew delayed by weather, don't expect much. A delay for a mechanical might proceed with your direct request online for specific voucher value or SkyMiles consideration.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jul 7, 16 at 7:59 pm
3Cforme is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 6:51 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,871
Also note that since it's a DL flight that EU261 doesn't apply since the flight was from the US on a non-EU carrier.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:07 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: JAX
Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 317
I was at JFK that day - it was a mess because of weather. Since it was weather, YMMV, but I think it's going to be a long road to hoe for compensation.
scongro is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: XXX and sometimes YYY
Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Posts: 440
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Also note that since it's a DL flight that EU261 doesn't apply since the flight was from the US on a non-EU carrier.
Does anyone else find it crazy that the EU has better protection for travelers than the US. My company buys fares from the EU and the US. The price is the same. When will US travelers get a similar deal that the EU gets?
securesmaskfirst is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 7:46 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,871
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst View Post
Does anyone else find it crazy that the EU has better protection for travelers than the US. My company buys fares from the EU and the US. The price is the same. When will US travelers get a similar deal that the EU gets?
It doesn't surprise me. Most EU countries are very tilted toward consumer protection. In the US we seem to go the opposite direction and are tilted towards company protection.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 12:46 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 178
It was a big weather mess. Irony paid 35,000 miles more to fly out on Friday vs that Saturday. Wish I could get some miles back.
ADeutsch is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 12:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
Posts: 1,406
Originally Posted by scongro View Post
I was at JFK that day - it was a mess because of weather. Since it was weather, YMMV, but I think it's going to be a long road to hoe for compensation.
LOL. It's "a long row to hoe." The metaphor is agricultural. (If you've done much actual hoeing in your garden, you'll appreciate it.)
hotturnip is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 12:42 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 14,462
Originally Posted by ADeutsch View Post
It was a big weather mess. Irony paid 35,000 miles more to fly out on Friday vs that Saturday. Wish I could get some miles back.
I'll probably get a lot of disagreement from a lot of the regulars, but imo you shouldn't DEMAND compensation, and even asking for it is a bit presumptuous

in your case you can clearly put some value on your frustration, so I'd actually go with the "irony" approach ... use the "Contact Us" link on the website, and say something along the lines of "I recognize that the delay was a result of the NYC weather, but if I'd been able to predict that I'd be arriving Sat evening anyway, I'd have booked the Sat daytime flight for 35k fewer miles ..."
jrl767 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 12:57 am
  #11  
was WWads
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,764
I wish that the US had a law similar to EU261. With all the mergers (monopoly building) and unpunished corporate malfeasance, it seems like we're headed back to the days of the Gilded Age.
KDCAflyer is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 5:22 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 350
It was one of the worst weather events in NYC in the last 5 years. Unless you can show Delta has god like powers to influence the weather I don't think you're due anything.
Jeff767 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 6:35 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 440
I live in the city but am out of town right now. Did another Superstorm Sandy hit? Or a 26.8" of snow blizzard hit? To be the worst weather in 5 years has me worried. 😬


Originally Posted by Jeff767 View Post
It was one of the worst weather events in NYC in the last 5 years. Unless you can show Delta has god like powers to influence the weather I don't think you're due anything.
lovefly88 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 6:40 am
  #14  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Given that this was likely weather-related, EU261 would not have provided for much (hotel and food vouchers). There's no blanket provision for cash compensation in EU261 irregardless of the delay cause.
LBJ is offline  
Old Jul 10, 16, 12:10 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Posts: 1,858
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
LOL. It's "a long row to hoe." The metaphor is agricultural. (If you've done much actual hoeing in your garden, you'll appreciate it.)
Hah!!! Long road to hoe is a common misconstruction of this phrase.
mridley2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: