Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to Havana: JFK, ATL, MIA daily starting 2016/2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to Havana: JFK, ATL, MIA daily starting 2016/2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
DOT grants Delta 3 Daily Flights to Havana, Cuba

The Department of Transportation has tentatively granted Delta 3 of its 5 requested daily flights to Havana, Cuba. These flights will be a 199-seat 757-200 from New York-JFK, a 199-seat 757-200 from Atlanta, and a 160-seat 37-800 from Miami.

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf97/837.pdf
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Thumbs up Delta to Havana: JFK, ATL, MIA daily starting 2016/2017

The carrier selections are trickling out. DL was selected for 2 of their hubs plus MIA.

Full list is here:

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...se_Order_0.pdf
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
1X daily only on each. Surprised ATL didn't get higher frequency as DL's mega-hub.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Delta only applied for one ATL slot, so DOT isn't going to give out more than requested, especially with so many carriers applying for so many slots.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Of note that this is a tentative announcement and objections are due by July 22nd. There is the slight, but unlikely, possibility that the allocations could change after that date.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by woodford02A
The carrier selections are trickling out. DL was selected for 2 of their hubs plus MIA.

Full list is here:

Great news ^
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Chadg
Delta only applied for one ATL slot, so DOT isn't going to give out more than requested, especially with so many carriers applying for so many slots.
Ah, didn't realize the request was only for 1X. Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ty97
1X daily only on each. Surprised ATL didn't get higher frequency as DL's mega-hub.
There is a total of 20 daily flight frequencies to be awarded for Havana. HAV was heavily over-subscribed in total, emphasis mine:

US airlines are eager to serve Havana under the newly signed air services agreement with Cuba, seeking nearly three times the number of available frequencies.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ations-422671/

The Mods might just append this thread to an earlier one and avoid duplication.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...service-3.html
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:48 am

It think AS could be in a really strong position even with only 1 flight...ATL is the next furthest West of the HAV flights.

But I think DOT did pretty well allocating the flights relatively fairly. Good mix of legacy, LLC and ULLC.

Although I do think that within 2 years of the inaugural flights 1/2 of the slots will be either at a different origin, a different airline or both. HAV is going to be great for the NK's and F9's of the world, and DL/AA/UA will all have a few flights (AA more so) and it will be treated much like SJU. Just another Caribbean destination
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
link to DOT's FAQ on today's order

All tentatively awarded carriers/cities/frequencies to Havana are identified.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Seems crazy that there are 6 flights a day from Miami to Havana, 6 flights a day from Ft Lauderdale (FLL being 30 mi from MIA) to Havana, and 8 flights a day to Havana from all 9 other destinations.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
It think AS could be in a really strong position even with only 1 flight...ATL is the next furthest West of the HAV flights.
1) 70% of all Cuban Americans live in Florida.

2) As Cuba is East of most of the US, connecting in LA hardly seems like a competitive advantage, especially given the much more limited feed AS has there compared to DL at ATL.

AA is the carrier in a "really strong" position, though even there position is significantly weakened by the fact that there are 12 frequencies from South Florida, plus one each from MCO and TPA. UA and AS are easily in the weakest positions, though they also don't have much invested. That being said, I don't think this will be that big of a deal for any airline.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by kop84

But I think DOT did pretty well allocating the flights relatively fairly. Good mix of legacy, LLC and ULLC.

Although I do think that within 2 years of the inaugural flights 1/2 of the slots will be either at a different origin, a different airline or both. HAV is going to be great for the NK's and F9's of the world, and DL/AA/UA will all have a few flights (AA more so) and it will be treated much like SJU. Just another Caribbean destination
UA will serve it on Saturdays from Houston, that is well west of Atlanta.

I agree it does seem balanced, even with AA having 4 slots from MIA, DL and F9 will fly from MIA as well as B6/NK/WN from FLL.

I think the title of this thread is misleading, this is the DOT announcing awards and not DL announcing starting dates.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Delta has announced though that they will start flying this fall and will start selling seats this summer.

http://news.delta.com/delta-serve-ha...anta-and-miami
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ty97
There's virtually zero US-Cuba market from ATL (or most major cities in the U.S. for that matter). I'm actually kind of surprised DL even added ATL right now.

The markets that will be big in the beginning are MIA (by far) and to a lesser degree NYC. Over some time, I'm sure other markets will develop. But for now, it's smart of them to focus on routes that have demand. There's not much infrastructure (yet) to support American tourism to Cuba, so the early days will rely heavily on Cuban or Cuban-American traffic to/from Cuba.

Note: Sadly American tourism will probably ruin Cuba. I suspect it will one day look like Myrtle Beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.